Post-Game Talk: Game V: Pens loss to Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Speaking of Boston, how are they 5-0 yet here we are struggling with a better roster?
They still have Pasternak in his prime coming off a 113 point season. Marchand is still valuable at 35. Zacha and DeBrusk are 20 goal scorers. Lindholm and McAvoy are top tier defensemen. And they have probably the best tandem in the NHL in goal in Ullmark and Swayman.

Plus they actually drafted decently, so they actually have some young players worthy of the NHL.

They'll come back to earth a little bit, but losing Bergeron and Krejci hurts mostly from a leadership and team defense perspective. Their offense had gotten to the point where they could be replaced.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
They still have Pasternak in his prime coming off a 113 point season. Marchand is still valuable at 35. Zacha and DeBrusk are 20 goal scorers. Lindholm and McAvoy are top tier defensemen. And they have probably the best tandem in the NHL in goal in Ullmark and Swayman.

Plus they actually drafted decently, so they actually have some young players worthy of the NHL.

They'll come back to earth a little bit, but losing Bergeron and Krejci hurts mostly from a leadership and team defense perspective. Their offense had gotten to the point where they could be replaced.

Marchand is on record saying Monty came in and held the entire roster accountable and that is what has led to their success.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Marchand is on record saying Monty came in and held the entire roster accountable and that is what has led to their success.
I mean, their success was a bunch of regular season wins and a first round playoff exit.

Time will tell how effective his approach is.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think people remember how lifeless the Caps were under Reirden. If you think the Pens are dull now, it'll be worse under Reirden.

Be careful what you wish for.
The only bloke I would actually be curious about isn't Reirden. It's Vellucci. I think the fact that he's been a solid coach in the AHL and has a mind for being a GM some day, he thinks the game differently and would be someone I would place as the interim coach asap and fire Sullivan and Reirden.

Then you assess in the off season. There's a lot of assistant coaches that you can then interview, ahl coaches, coaches out of the NHL/AHL and into the college, juniors, and European pool.

But if I had to give a name, Vellucci would be my interim coach choice for the rest of the season.

There's been a lot of teams that have interviewed Vellucci - Ducks, Flyers, Bruins, etc.

David Carle is someone that intrigues me as a new name.

Others - Todd Nelson, Ryan McGill, etc in the off season would be where I'd start as well as Carle, assess what Vellucci has done, but I have really been a fan of Todd Nelson and think he's got pedigree that has been over looked by tank-centric teams that let him walk knowing he'd do well and that's not what they want - like the Ducks and Oilers when they had him in that prime spot. The way he brought the Bears from mediocre to winning it all in the AHL, he's been seasoned behind a bunch of good coaches and unique experiences. He'd be my pick as he likes to try new things offensively.

I'd love to poach McGill as the defense coach and hire Carle as the assistant. That'd be the coaching staff for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: HandshakeLine

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
How much more data do we need to make an accurate assessment about a coach?
It's only been half a decade since they've won a round, man! Stop with the rash decisions! :laugh:

I'm sorry, I'm just talking shit. But seriously, how much worse than a never ending treadmill of 1st round exits or, now, missing entirely can it get? What--this team's gonna end up with a top-10 pick or some shit? Good. Better than the latest chapter of bullshit "Well, if X hadn't happened, this team woulda made a deep run, man!" :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's only been half a decade since they've won a round, man! Stop with the rash decisions! :laugh:

I'm sorry, I'm just talking shit. But seriously, how much worse than a never ending treadmill of 1st round exits or, now, missing entirely can it get? What--this team's gonna end up with a top-10 pick or some shit? Good. Better than the latest chapter of bullshit "Well, if X hadn't happened, this team woulda made a deep run, man!" :laugh:

Yeah it’s kind of funny. If we fire Sullivan and suck we get a top ten pick. If we fire Sullivan and don’t suck and get the playoffs and lose in round one, we did exactly what Sullivan has done as a highlight for five seasons…

I think the question is where is the negative part of firing Sullivan?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
David Carle is just someone I really hope Dubas has on his radar and ignores the age as he knows all too well how that is overrated. He's a bloke I think you get in asap if you can pry him from U of Denver.

Interesting story how he got into coaching but he served under Jim Montgomery for a few years before he went off to the NHL and his last couple of seasons he's really found his voice as a coach.

One can dream...

While we endure the nightmare of Sullivan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad