GDT: Game V Pens at Blues 2000hrs EST: Someone will be singing the Blues tonight

FIrst goal:

• Karlsson

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Letang

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Rust

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Crosby

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Geno

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • Jake

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • Carter

• Vrana

• Kyrou

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schenn

• Kapanen

Votes: 11 24.4%
  • Sundqvist

• Bortuzzo

• Other

Votes: 3 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

tumblr_nfs0lb3vf51tcw4lfo1_500.gif

vs

giphy.gif

When the St. Louis Blues and the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins meet Saturday, it will be a clash of teams eyeing a rebound from a loss that left lingering frustration.

Perhaps the best thing the Blues could say about their 6-2 loss Thursday against the Arizona Coyotes is that the game didn't go to a shootout, as their first two games did.

Then again, there was little danger of that.

"We were flat all around," St. Louis coach Craig Berube said. "Didn't skate. Didn't execute anything. We didn't move at all."

It was an effort, or lack of one, that followed two closely contested games.

"Very surprised," Berube said of Thursday's dud. "We've got work to do."

The Blues have scored just four goals through their first three games and have yet to hold a lead. They gave up three power-play goals to the Coyotes.

"It's execution -- moving your feet and being ready to play," St. Louis forward Brayden Schenn said. "If you look back at our (first) two games, how hard it was to get points, we realize anyone can beat anyone in this league. If you're not going to come prepared fully, teams are going to give it to you."

St. Louis had four days off to prepare for the game against Arizona. Now, it's just one day off between games.

"It's early in the season. We have to look at the clips and clear some stuff up," Blues forward Jakub Vrana said.

St. Louis forward Pavel Buchnevich missed Thursday's game because of an upper-body injury. His status for Saturday is unclear.

Pittsburgh, meanwhile, has insult to deal with but apparently avoided injury.

Penguins six-time All-Star defenseman Kris Letang and forward Noel Acciari returned to practice Friday after missing Thursday's session to be evaluated for injuries.

Pittsburgh has had a roller coaster start -- a blown two-goal lead, a win by shutout, a convincing win with a five-goal performance and, Wednesday, a disheartening 6-3 loss against the Detroit Red Wings.

"Teams go through ups and downs during the season," Penguins coach Mike Sullivan said. "There are challenges along the way, and how you handle those challenges, in a lot of ways, it dictates your ability to have success."

The Penguins struck in the first minute against the Red Wings on a goal from center Evgeni Malkin, who has three goals and seven points through four games. But then came the doldrums as Detroit scored four straight goals before the Penguins got back in the game in the third.

"We just kind of lost ourselves for six or seven minutes in the second period, and they scored on us in that time frame," Sullivan said.

Lapses like that are a cause for concern -- after all, such lapses were a major issue last season when Pittsburgh missed the playoffs for the first time since 2006.

"Our team knows what we have to do in order to be successful," Penguins winger Bryan Rust said. "Points in October do mean the same as the ones in March. That's kind of our mindset here. We can't take anything for granted early on. We've to fight for every point, every win we can (get)."

Possible Line up:

Jake Guentzel-Sidney Crosby-Bryan Rust

Reilly Smith-Evgeni Malkin-Rickard Rakell

Drew O’Connor-Lars Eller-Matt Nieto

(Will Butcher)-Noel Acciari-Jeff Carter

Ryan Graves-Kris Letang

Marcus Pettersson-Erik Karlsson

Ryan Shea-Chad Ruhwedel

P.O Joseph-John Ludvig

200w.gif

mario-lemieux-pittsburgh-penguins-upper-deck.jpg

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Of course penguins play on match day 9 but footy is earlier and pennies are later... still probably watching on replay BUT (a big hairy but) I may watch en vivo this night.

Let's not blow this one, eh boys?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Blues aren’t good defensively and have scoring depth problems too so this is a game the Pens should definitely win…lol lol…

but of course Binnington has been playing well this season so far and will likely stone them (or Pens finishing sucks, pick your poison); Kap’s revenge tour against Sullivan will begin; and Penguin-killer Vrana will likely get on the board…since the Pens cannot play 60 minutes for the life of them regardless of the excellent quotes above by Sid and Rusty, this will likely be a loss lol…even though it’s a game a good team should win!

“On the Blues is a player counting only 2.65M against the cap and only cost the Blues a 7th round pick. The player is Jakub Vrana. He is a primary example of a missed opportunity for the Penguins as it pertains to scoring depth. He has a goal and two assists in three games so far this year. He had ten goals and 14 points in 20 games with the Blues last year. For the Penguins to solve their depth scoring issue at some point they’ll have to figure out how to land a Vrana and/or a Tomas Tatar when their price points make all the sense in the world. Until then, we have what we have already.” (Hint: they are not Mike Sullivan players…they do not PK, forecheck hard)

Last edited:

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The games over the next 2 weeks or so will verify the accuracy of HF Pens takes regarding the bottom-six.
Some egos will get scathed, while others will be bolstered to the point of unbearability.

Team results? Who cares?
The time has come to settle what matters.
Well.... what matters!??
Who is the unbearable ego? That I am most curious :laugh:

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Well.... what matters!??
Who is the unbearable ego? That I am most curious :laugh:
If you read the GDT tonight, the leaders of the respective movements will make themselves known.
I will try to take the high road if Z scores...

So Ludvig still doesn't get a Jersey? No Zoho?
We got 12 Forwards. The big man is in, baby.
Harkins got waived.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
If you read the GDT tonight, the leaders of the respective movements will make themselves known.

Harkins got waived.
I'll keep these eyes peeled for respective movements ;)

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
The Blues aren’t good defensively and have scoring depth problems too so this is a game the Pens should definitely win…lol lol…

but of course Binnington has been playing well this season so far and will likely stone them (or Pens finishing sucks, pick your poison); Kap’s revenge tour against Sullivan will begin; and Penguin-killer Vrana will likely get on the board…since the Pens cannot play 60 minutes for the life of them regardless of the excellent quotes above by Sid and Rusty, this will likely be a loss lol…even though it’s a game a good team should win!

“On the Blues is a player counting only 2.65M against the cap and only cost the Blues a 7th round pick. The player is Jakub Vrana. He is a primary example of a missed opportunity for the Penguins as it pertains to scoring depth. He has a goal and two assists in three games so far this year. He had ten goals and 14 points in 20 games with the Blues last year. For the Penguins to solve their depth scoring issue at some point they’ll have to figure out how to land a Vrana and/or a Tomas Tatar when their price points make all the sense in the world. Until then, we have what we have already.” (Hint: they are not Mike Sullivan players…they do not PK, forecheck hard)
They should win yes but Blues definitely aren't a push over. They have a pretty solid bottom 6 that gives them an edge over us there.

Leddy Parayko Krug and Faulk can all contribute on the backend. Kryou and Thomas are both young exciting hockey players. Their biggest issue is L2 and as I said I like the way their bottom 6 is built out.

Looks like Buchnevich is out though so that should help.......guys a hockey player

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They should win yes but Blues definitely aren't a push over. They have a pretty solid bottom 6 that gives them an edge over us there.

Leddy Parayko Krug and Faulk can all contribute on the backend. Kryou and Thomas are both young exciting hockey players. Their biggest issue is L2 and as I said I like the way their bottom 6 is built out.

Looks like Buchnevich is out though so that should help.......guys a hockey player

The Blues put together a defense that was good in 2018…just like the Pens put together a forward group based on the same year lol

Their bottom six has 2 of their 4 goals so far this season (yikes) but their “third line” is really their second…the second line doesn’t do much and I wouldn’t be surprised if they had their third line with Vrana and Hayes out against Geno

SomeOldDude

May 27, 2016
VA
I'm trying to stay positive, but this team has given little reason to be so over the last view years. I just think they are old now and will just be a barley mediocre team until Sid and Malkin hang them up.

What pisses me off is Sully always talks about accountability, but refuses to scratch Carter who is just far beyond his prime. The bottom 6 would be far better without him so sit his ass in the press box, Ludvig down, and call up someone else.

Anyway I'll be watching as usual because it's Pens hockey!
Let's Go!

Reactions: Andy99

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
The Blues put together a defense that was good in 2018…just like the Pens put together a forward group based on the same year lol

Their bottom six has 2 of their 4 goals so far this season (yikes) but their “third line” is really their second…the second line doesn’t do much and I wouldn’t be surprised if they had their third line with Vrana and Hayes out against Geno
They have only had 3 games this season and took one of the cup favorites to a shoot out in Dallas.

3 games doesn't make a season. They are going to play teams tough. That's just what Berube hockey is.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
They have only had 3 games this season and took one of the cup favorites to a shoot out in Dallas.

3 games doesn't make a season. They are going to play teams tough. That's just what Berube hockey is.
I didn’t watch their game w Dallas but it appeared to be mostly a goalie match…Binn didn’t play last game against AZ but he’s only given up 2 goals in 2 games…mostly looks like it’s him…I could see him shutting the Pens out tonight

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I really like Robert Thomas and think that he is one of the most underrated players in the league. His line I would be worried about but not much else from the Blues.
Thomas is definitely underrated, always liked him. I remember when he had kind of a slow start years ago and was talked about trade bait.

Reactions: Ignatius

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I'm trying to stay positive, but this team has given little reason to be so over the last view years. I just think they are old now and will just be a barley mediocre team until Sid and Malkin hang them up.

What pisses me off is Sully always talks about accountability, but refuses to scratch Carter who is just far beyond his prime. The bottom 6 would be far better without him so sit his ass in the press box, Ludvig down, and call up someone else.

Anyway I'll be watching as usual because it's Pens hockey!
Let's Go!
Its been 4 games and Carter has actually looked one of our better players on the bottom 6, yes I know that's not saying much. He's not going to sit this early in the season by his play so far although I think it might help him tremendously over the long of the season to sit him from time to time and keep him fresh. It could actually benefit his game.

There's just not much sitting behind him at all that makes sense at the moment to even make that move.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Harkins got waived.
Great I want Zoho in but what about Ludvig? Let's go 2 for 2 and both get the desired line up. Or, something better than we've seen to this point.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad