TV: Game of Thrones | Series Finale GDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The only things I'm still upset about as many have stated was that it was too short of a season, small details that were like the back bone of the show were left out as a result. Like Jamie coulda said something like "We came into this world together, and thats how we leave it" to cersei. That would make it easier to swallow for the people who wanted her to die in a blaze of glory.

The other thing I'm upset about is that its over and I feel like there won't ever be a show like this again. There will always be crime dramas that come and go (the wire, breaking bad, true detective, etc) but this was truly something different.

Well there's both Watchmen and His Dark Materials airing on HBO later this year

Todd Parchment

Apr 5, 2018
Creative issues:

Brienne ends up in tears when Jaime rides off to be with Cersei--don't believe the tears; emotion, yes, but not weak girly stuff. From that character? No gushing like a jilted bridesmaid.

Dany's character could have gone either way and could be argued went the wrong way--she ends up an example of the sexist belief that women can't handle power without going crazy.

Arya ends up taking off for nowhere--might not her skills have been handy for the new regime after abandoning her quest to kill Cersei when the Hound talks her out of it at the last minute. Huh?

In terms of who has the best, most interesting story, the qualification Tyrion chooses as the litmus test for the new ruler, Arya's or Sansa's stories trump "lost in space" Bran's all to hell

The final Counsel has one woman on it--the usual "token" allotment

Good that Sansa rules Westeros, but maybe she should have inherited the Iron Throne.

Cersei is a force to be reckoned with, but has very little to do but look on as things happen to her in the final season.

Of the Big Five women in the series, one dies, one goes mad and dies, one is sent packing to parts unknown, one achieves limited power but not the big prize, and one is the token female in the new power structure. Nuts to that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a smart female writer on board, a lot of this **** happens differently or not at all. Given the themes the series seemed to possess at one time, those changes would have been more appropriate for the message that Game of Thrones once stood for.

Who cares ? It’s a fantasy book set in a medieval time not a book about 2019 anyway.

The small council is fine, who else are you going to put on those spots?

Sansa, Yara, Brienne are at the meeting of choosing a king. Fair representation.

Sansa is a queen, likely Yara as well. Arya is beloved and strong. Danny was destined to fall but was strong. I really don’t understand this crybaby attitude of how women were treated “unfairly” in this series. Complaining for the sake of it.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Who cares ? It’s a fantasy book set in a medieval time not a book about 2019 anyway.

Sansa, Yara, Brienne are at the meeting of choosing a king. Fair representation.

Sansa is a queen, likely Yara as well. Arya is beloved and strong. Danny was destined to fall but was strong. I really don’t understand this crybaby attitude of how women were treated “unfairly” in this series. Complaining for the sake of it.

Westeros is tracking better than the United States at it's inception! LOL.

Reactions: Todd Parchment

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I am glad we avoided Arya face stealing shenanigans. I always hated those theories.

I actually expected if Dany was to be killed: Grey Worm to kill Jon because reasons (got close a few times those last two episodes) , Arya to steal Jon's face and then kill Dany...

But overall I feel like given what we had for a final season, this finale salvaged most of it. Not necessarily the best overall ending to a show (especially given the level it was at at one point), but I think it's one of the better ones I've seen of shows I was invested in in a while. Especially for one that ran longer than 3 or 4 seasons.

Reactions: SPV and Saskatoon

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
The wheel is only partially broken though. Sons and Daughters still will inherit all the great houses. But I guess you at least have 6 to choose from rather than just 1 for King/Queen.

I did feel the North leaving was a little wierd especially with a Stark on the throne. I would have been fine if the houses ruled themselves with no king.

Overall though the bigger plot points were fine. Pacing was off like others have said. Would have liked an episode or two of Hitler Dani(or even a season).

Breaking Bad and The Wire are so overrated.

I agree with Breaking Bad but count me as someone else who thinks The Wire is one of the best shows ever. My wife and I went from The Wire to True Detective earlier this year and even a show as good as S1 True Detecitve it was really jarring how sensationalized most police dramas are.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Drop

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

About the only direction (in this sense) that I disliked in the show was Sansa actually being raped, then later saying that was what made her strong. Especially given that was a move away from the books.

But yeah, I'm not sure what council that poster was looking at since there was definitely three sitting to decide the next ruler. And Sansa told the one guy who was making his speech to sit down and he listened.

I think the writing was a little sloppy in that it seemed like for a bit they were going a "girl power" route over to a really quick "can't trust a woman in power because hormones" vibe, but got over that fast.

Austerlitz

Jun 26, 2018
Creative issues:

Brienne ends up in tears when Jaime rides off to be with Cersei--don't believe the tears; emotion, yes, but not weak girly stuff. From that character? No gushing like a jilted bridesmaid.

Dany's character could have gone either way and could be argued went the wrong way--she ends up an example of the sexist belief that women can't handle power without going crazy.

Arya ends up taking off for nowhere--might not her skills have been handy for the new regime after abandoning her quest to kill Cersei when the Hound talks her out of it at the last minute. Huh?

In terms of who has the best, most interesting story, the qualification Tyrion chooses as the litmus test for the new ruler, Arya's or Sansa's stories trump "lost in space" Bran's all to hell

The final Counsel has one woman on it--the usual "token" allotment

Good that Sansa rules Westeros, but maybe she should have inherited the Iron Throne.

Cersei is a force to be reckoned with, but has very little to do but look on as things happen to her in the final season.

Of the Big Five women in the series, one dies, one goes mad and dies, one is sent packing to parts unknown, one achieves limited power but not the big prize, and one is the token female in the new power structure. Nuts to that.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a smart female writer on board, a lot of this **** happens differently or not at all. Given the themes the series seemed to possess at one time, those changes would have been more appropriate for the message that Game of Thrones once stood for.

And they could have all danced and sang Girl Power too!

Reactions: tuozzi

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
In general I liked how things turned out. I liked that Jon went north with the Wildings. I like Sansa being Queen in the North. I even liked (although I admit it was a little odd) Arya sailing off for parts unknown. She was always a restless type looking for some kind of adventure. She will probably find it.

Bran on the throne was kind of silly, Gendry would have been a better choice from a storytelling perspective, or if they wanted to go outside the box, Brienne. She wouldn’t be the first soldier type to rise up through the ranks to rule.

One gripe though- everyone seemed pretty chipper at the end, the Small Council were in good spirits cracking jokes and so on. This seems strange considering the situation they should all be in. Their city was burned to the ground, there would corpses everywhere, disease would spread like wildfire (no pun intended) drinking water contaminated (Tyrion did at least mention clean water in the meeting) food stores probably burned, peoples’ homes destroyed on a massive scale. There wouldn’t seem to be much of a military force left to keep the peace, there would widespread crime and looting, and probably refugees leaving the city for... basically anywhere. A little more acknowledgment of the challenges ahead of them might have been in order.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
In general I liked how things turned out. I liked that Jon went north with the Wildings. I like Sansa being Queen in the North. I even liked (although I admit it was a little odd) Arya sailing off for parts unknown. She was always a restless type looking for some kind of adventure. She will probably find it.

Bran on the throne was kind of silly, Gendry would have been a better choice from a storytelling perspective, or if they wanted to go outside the box, Brienne. She wouldn’t be the first soldier type to rise up through the ranks to rule.

One gripe though- everyone seemed pretty chipper at the end, the Small Council were in good spirits cracking jokes and so on. This seems strange considering the situation they should all be in. Their city was burned to the ground, there would corpses everywhere, disease would spread like wildfire (no pun intended) drinking water contaminated (Tyrion did at least mention clean water in the meeting) food stores probably burned, peoples’ homes destroyed on a massive scale. There wouldn’t seem to be much of a military force left to keep the peace, there would widespread crime and looting, and probably refugees leaving the city for... basically anywhere. A little more acknowledgment of the challenges ahead of them might have been in order.

Yeah, I thought that was odd but it seems like there was a bit of a time jump? The council chamber seemed pretty put together. As for the council itself they all seem to be well-intentioned people (even Bronn). Not perfect but a step up from the previous decision makers.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yeah, I thought that was odd but it seems like there was a bit of a time jump? The council chamber seemed pretty put together. As for the council itself they all seem to be well-intentioned people (even Bronn). Not perfect but a step up from the previous decision makers.

There was some time that passed but probably not nearly enough. It would take years to rebuild a city given the technology that was available to them. Even today we see the long term effects of devastating natural disasters and wars. Everything seemed just a little too hunky-dory to me there at the end.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
The other thing I'm upset about is that its over and I feel like there won't ever be a show like this again. There will always be crime dramas that come and go (the wire, breaking bad, true detective, etc) but this was truly something different.

Success breeds imitators. HBO is going back to the Westeros lore for a prequel series. Amazon has invested a ton into Tolkiens work for a Middle Earth series.

I don't know if a fantasy show will ever be as popular and big as this. The fractured media landscape makes that a challenge. But, the streaming services and cable outlets will try.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
There was some time that passed but probably not nearly enough. It would take years to rebuild a city given the technology that was available to them. Even today we see the long term effects of devastating natural disasters and wars. Everything seemed just a little too hunky-dory to me there at the end.

Yeah, a bow was tied on there for sure but to be fair they did talk about things like rebuilding the fleet, food supplies, clean water, brothels (LOL), etc.

TheScandal89

Jun 26, 2016
Success breeds imitators. HBO is going back to the Westeros lore for a prequel series. Amazon has invested a ton into Tolkiens work for a Middle Earth series.

I don't know if a fantasy show will ever be as popular and big as this. The fractured media landscape makes that a challenge. But, the streaming services and cable outlets will try.

That comforts me very much :laugh:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
So, Jon actually abandoned his post with the Night's Watch to go live north with he Wildlings, right?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
So, Jon actually abandoned his post with the Night's Watch to go live north with he Wildlings, right?

Tormund and Ghost were waiting for him (along with a large group of Wildlings) so my guess is there was never any intent for Jon to truly take the black and live out his life at Castle Black w/Night's Watch. That seemed more like lip service to Grey Worm (who was probably the biggest rube in the finale).

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Just seems like there are those who had made up their minds by 8:59PM ET last night.
Maybe there are some. Don't think there are nearly as many as you would claim, and it is disappointing that people are framing the opposition as those who simply refused to get enjoyment out of a series they enjoyed previously.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Still pissed we didn't get the Jon reveal scene between Arya, Bra, Jon and Sansa. Maybe they shot it and didn't like it so cut it. This scene which could have lasted a few minutes would have been much better than some of the stuff left in. We are also robbed of Tyrion finding out.

I think down the road some of the actors will speak more freely about their opinions and what happened on the show. Could make for a really good doc.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Yeah, a bow was tied on there for sure but to be fair they did talk about things like rebuilding the fleet, food supplies, clean water, brothels (LOL), etc.

Yeah, mentioning the brothels was a good way to remind us that we were still watching Game of Thrones lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad