TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 | Part IX -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Also, season 4 wasn't the last book season, season 5 was. Funny how people always ignore that despite most of season 5 coming from book plots, they are just bad book plots that would have been impossible to properly adapt to the show without introducing tons of new characters and giving a lot of the main characters a season off. What they ended up with was pretty bad overall, but I also think what they had to work with was pretty bad. Season 6 was the first season they were completely past the books, and it's a huge improvement on season 5.

that's what always cracks me up. people go season 5 was horrible, damn D&D but season 6 was really great and that was them on their own.

I actually had a friend saying how disgusted GRMM must be. and i'm like why? if you honestly think he's not involved with this in some capacity, i've got some swamp land to sell you. he advised, and he split to concentrate on prequels

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Your general show watcher would have hated it even more if they tried to make a more faithful adaptation of those plots as well.

Imagine if they shot one of GRRM feasts, where he writes about it in the books for 20 pages? It would be 60 min of food being shown and consumed .

Reactions: Jack Straw

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
All the preshow sizzle reels are them trying to avoid this. Big Little Lies should keep some around.

I want to watch Chernobyl before I unsubscribe. I also kind of want to do one more rewatch.

Chernobyl has been good. I just don't think I could get rid of HBO although I don't pay for it. ATT cell subscribers in the U.S. get it for free.

Using the ap you have a huge selection of movies, and all their series to watch. They also have some of the best original docs out there. I can see getting rid of it for awhile but they always seem to have a new good series out.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
When you play the game of thrones you either win or you die. Either Daenerys wins in the end, or she dies. I don't see anything in between.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
When you play the game of thrones you either win or you die. Either Daenerys wins in the end, or she dies. I don't see anything in between.
How about killing the dragon, but not Daenerys? Without the dragon, she has to survive on her wits, just like everyone else.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
How about killing the dragon, but not Daenerys? Without the dragon, she has to survive on her wits, just like everyone else.
If Drogon dies but she is still in power, that is her still winning though I would say. She would have just lost almost everything to be Queen of the ashes.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Why I would never wave around George’s desire for 15 seasons as a positive. Dude does not understand pacing.

Show would have never survived if he got his way.

You can have much more leeway with pacing if your writing an epic fantasy novel series.

But what I wanted to say here after season 4 my thinking was if they were going to do a proper adaption of the book 4-5 monster It may have worked better to break it up into a collection of mini series, or at least separate some of the plotlines out as mini series (Brienne, Dorne Iron Islands, etc).

What they actually did though just taking a massive editing slash to the whole things was mostly fine, but D&D have to own that really bad Dorne plot.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
You can have much more leeway with pacing if your writing an epic fantasy novel series.

But what I wanted to say here after season 4 my thinking was if they were going to do a proper adaption of the book 4-5 monster It may have worked better to break it up into a collection of mini series, or at least separate some of the plotlines out as mini series (Brienne, Dorne Iron Islands, etc).

What they actually did though just taking a massive editing slash to the whole things was mostly fine, but D&D have to own that really bad Dorne plot.
Yea that whole Dorne plot was just embarrassing. Still the worst plot the show has ever had. It's pretty much like they said "Well we have to adapt this Dorne plot because it's in the books, but we don't want to spend as much time on it as really required and we don't want it to have any real impact on the overall story, so let's just make a rescue adventure plot!"

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yea that whole Dorne plot was just embarrassing. Still the worst plot the show has ever had. It's pretty much like they said "Well we have to adapt this Dorne plot because it's in the books, but we don't want to spend as much time on it as really required and we don't want it to have any real impact on the overall story, so let's just make a rescue adventure plot!"

It was basically filler. Padding as they waited for Winds to come out. Book Dorne is most likely really tied up with FAegon so with him cut there wasn’t much to do down there.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
It was basically filler. Padding as they waited for Winds to come out. Book Dorne is most likely really tied up with FAegon so with him cut there wasn’t much to do down there.

Aegon from the books is such a significant storyline. Has D & D ever addressed why that was cut? It changes everything IMO.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Aegon from the books is such a significant storyline. Has D & D ever addressed why that was cut? It changes everything IMO.
I don't think they have, but I'm going to assume because it doesn't drastically impact the ending and they have given plot points from that to popular show characters instead of introducing new characters so late in the show.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton

My money is on Daenerys going full mad and ordering Drogon to burn Jon Snow. Drogon refuses and burns her instead, Jon takes the throne. Drogon wins.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think he is met to kick Cersei out and cause Dany a ton of war trouble that will further her decent unit Mad Queen. So she burns FAegon out instead of Cersei.

I could see that. Will be interesting to see where GRRM takes book Jon in that scenario.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
It really hasn’t changed that much at all. Just kept Cersei in power for longer.

I think Dany reacting to an impostor Targaryean would have gone a long way to the character development towards her actions at King Landing. It would drive up her paranoia and skepticism, and strengthen her resolve towards winning the crown.

But, it's still a character that doesn't factor into their end directly, so I can see the reasons for cutting. Especially since I think viewers would recognize it as an inconsequential plotline, that just delays our main characters interacting.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think he is met to kick Cersei out and cause Dany a ton of war trouble that will further her decent unit Mad Queen. So she burns FAegon out instead of Cersei.
I agree and expect the Cersei/Jaime downfall to come much earlier in the books.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Varys suffered the most. Changing his motivation from loyalty to one person and cause to vague loyalty to the realm (with no proof that it’s a thing worth being loyal to) left him with little to do until recently.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
that's what always cracks me up. people go season 5 was horrible, damn D&D but season 6 was really great and that was them on their own.

I actually had a friend saying how disgusted GRMM must be. and i'm like why? if you honestly think he's not involved with this in some capacity, i've got some swamp land to sell you. he advised, and he split to concentrate on prequels

My rankings go this way.

I give 5 some slack for Hardhome. Seven was both messy and rushed. 6 and 8 can be interchangeable. Depends on tonight. 3 and 4 flip flop too.

Two is low because I thought all the plotlines outside of KL were really weak by the show’s standard. Qarth sucked. Jamie was a prisoner the whole time. Didn’t care much for Robb or Theon yet. Bran was Bran.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
6 was okay, but I still don't put it on the same level of the first four seasons.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think Dany reacting to an impostor Targaryean would have gone a long way to the character development towards her actions at King Landing. It would drive up her paranoia and skepticism, and strengthen her resolve towards winning the crown.

But, it's still a character that doesn't factor into their end directly, so I can see the reasons for cutting. Especially since I think viewers would recognize it as an inconsequential plotline, that just delays our main characters interacting.

Its definitely something at the time we would think didnt really go anywhere. Mostly it just would've been a lot of screen time to a character who's sole purpose seems to be to fuel this heel turn. I can completely get why that got cut.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Q-rating means profits to studios. It's really sad how they stick their noses in the creative process.

I guess they have to legitimize their paychecks by appearing smart. Perfect example of short term gain and long term loss. Q-ratings have nothing to do with plot or story. Just immediate ratings.

Speaking of HBO, I was reading up on the potential prequels and it kind of dawned on me that they might've left the white walkers a mystery entirely to keep that mystery for the next series. Gotta say, that would be pretty lame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad