TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 | Part IX -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
My rankings thus far on a star based rating system (zero stars to 4 stars) for seasons of show

1 = *** 1/2
2 = ***
3 = ****
4 = ****
5 = **
6 = *** 1/2
7 = ***
8 = ** 1/2

Season 5 is lowest point which drags on and as said feels like a season of filler with very little overall advancement in storyline

Season 8 is flawed and rushed but overall to me it's been satisfactory conclusion. Not greatest conclusion and like everyone else I feel a lot could have been done better and season probably needed 2-3 more episodes

Series to me as overall collection will go down as my favorite television viewing experience. I really hope the prequel/spinoff is just as good when it comes

Last edited:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think there is a consensus building. Great book story from Martin, less than stellar screenplay execution from Benioff and Weiss.

In the end, Game of Thrones needed better writers

Then the "consensus" either didn't read the last two books or are ignoring their issues. I'm sure a season of Tyrion wandering around wondering where whores go would have made for riveting television.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Then the "consensus" either didn't read the last two books or are ignoring their issues. I'm sure a season of Tyrion wandering around wondering where ****es go would have made for riveting television.

I'm not entirely sure the author of that article has watched the show a whole lot or really has understanding about TV. Didnt know what a showrunner is, said 3 dragons couldn't beat Cersei one episode and then 1 decimated her the next. The Harry Potter comparisons are also a bit weird.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
People won't agree with how low these are, but this how I feel about the series.

Season 1 - 2.5 or 3.0 (Good/Very Good)
Season 2 - 2.0 (Positive)
Season 3 - 2.0 (Positive)
Season 4 - 2.5 (Good)
Season 5 - 0.5 (Bad)
Season 6 - 1.5 (Neutral)
Season 7 - 0.0 or 0.5 (Terrible/Bad)
Season 8 - 0.0 (Terrible)

Last edited:
Reactions: NYRFANMANI

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Regarding the writing, an interesting observation I heard someone point out for this shiw it's that there's actually very few credited writers on the show. Benioff and Weiss are the writers listed for most episodes, with a handful of other writers (Bryan Cogman, Dave Hill and some others).

Maybe they have a lot of writing assistants to help, but, not having a big enough writing room is probably where things start to go wrong. Other shows that have lots of characters and deep mythology use a lot of writers, with specific writers tasked to certain characters to ensure things remain consistent.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Honestly the way the season has went, I'm kinda happy for it to end tonight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Its probably been covered many times in the last 900 posts, but it's almost game time, so who wants to call their shot on who is sitting the iron throne?

Dany is clearly being set up to be killed (probably by Arya or Jon)
Jon is the "rightful heir", but I don't feel it will end with Jon reluctantly taking the throne. I know the one most fit for throne is the one that doesn't want it, but I'm just not feeling it. Something more important than Jon taking the throne is him going north to pet Ghost.
My guess is either with the Red Keep (and most of KL) being destroyed that there is some sort of dissolving of the kingdom into its pieces, or having Gendry sitting the throne. Gendry was legitimized a couple episodes ago and therefore Robert's heir, and he is an actual man of the people.

My guess with how rushed and fan-servicey this season has been it will end with them declaring Gendry king and he'll turn to Arya and say "well, you said you didn't want to be a Lady, how about a Queen?" She'll then swoon or whatever and D&D will attempt to say that's a satisfying conclusion to the Hound convincing Arya not to be consumed by revenge (which I feel was really well done). The throne being given to the common folk would be a nice ending, I just hope they don't tack on a bunch of Harry Potter style fan service.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well I had pegged Ayra/Gendry to end up ruling before season but not sure Gendry is up to task of rebuilding KL when he still is not in control of the Baratheon lands

Also not sure the people would be that accepting of sister of war criminal (Jon cant escape what he was part of at KL's) and a bastard legitimized by the woman who carried out massacre

I assume to overcome this Arya will kill Dany and people of KL will embrace her for that act and then Gendry will come to be with his queen in KL and they will look out at ruins of KL and its survivors before them holding hands with Gendry announcing a new era of kingdom and calls for end to violence and rebuilding a union of lands that desire to remain as part of Kingdom

The North is granted independence and Sansa is named the "Queen of the North" and the Iron Island gain independence. Dorne if its mentioned would also likely move for independence

Gendry/Arya will announce that kings council will be made up of members from every part of kingdom that remains as well as from KL itself so that there will never be absolute monarch again

Also going to go with Bronn not getting high garden since Dany will be dead along with Tyrion but that Tyrion as last Lannister will cede control of Casterly Rock to him before his death and that Bronn will become Lord Bronn of Casterly rock

And that Bronn will show heartfelt happiness at the act and drop his "Sellsword" act and admit he will truly miss Tyrion and Jaime as friends

I assume Jon goes into exile in Far North to atone for his role in supporting Dany and the emotional effect her massacre will have on him. It will be his way of exiling himself as one would do to the Night Watch when wall stood.

I have no guesses about what will happen to Drogon or if they will tie anything up with Brienne though I had earlier in year thought she would end up the head of Kings Guard and write a chapter for Jaime in that book they had

I expect in end none of these will happen but whatever spent the last 2 years thinking things up and its final episode so whatever happens happens

Last edited:

Boston Bandit

Aug 2, 2005
_nc_cat=1&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent.fbos1-1.jpg

Reactions: BKarchitect

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Despite all the negativity surrounding this season, I've enjoyed it. Tonight marks the end of my all time favorite series. I'm going to soak it in.

Reactions: Boston Bandit

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Despite all the negativity surrounding this season, I've enjoyed it. Tonight marks the end of my all time favorite series. I'm going to soak it in.

I'm in a weird place with it. I find I have little objection to the broad plot points. I'm okay with ending the white walkers early. I'm okay with the Dany turn. I have a feeling that I'll be okay with the ending. I've also felt that each episode has had some great moments in the episode. I think the actors have really brought their A games, making the most out of their scenes.

The execution has been bad though. Characters need to be mad dumb in some instances, or super powerful in other instances to move the plot along. I also find I have little interest to re-watch anything right now from this season. Which tells me that it's not playing much of a role outside of moving towards the conclusion. It feels a little likely reading a Wikipedia page.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

100%. It's been easy to pick at this season but I'm excited for tonight and sad that my Sunday evenings will be a little less exciting for the first time in years. Will miss the show for sure. The last season has been far from perfect but it's still been a helluva ride.

Going to try and avoid twitter afterwards for sure - feel like no matter what happens it's going to be a b-fest s-show of complainers and whiners - all of whom are going into tonight knowing they are going to complain about it yet still devote all their time to watching it and picking apart every second they could write and direct better.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Cant wait!!!!!!! I will enjoy the finale and whatever happens , happens. I’m not going to cry on here because it wasnt a perfect ending. SHow will go down as my favorite of all time.

Reactions: Boston Bandit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad