TV: Game of Thrones | Season 8 (Final) | Part XI -TV talk ONLY -NO Books, Spoilers, NO LEAKS

Status
Not open for further replies.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
He is the major threat being that he wants to kill everyone and end the world. But that doesn’t mean he is the biggest villain in the show or the main point of the show. That is and always has been the houses
Very true but Cersei’s plan or whatever she is doing is not nearly as exciting as the White walkers and the NK in my opinion. I guess that’s why I’m so underwhelmed about it, even though the guy doesn’t talk he was the ultimate threat to civilization.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
That was a terrible tactic even against formed infantry. The reason they cut through Jaime so easily on the Gold Road was because they were spread thin, unprepared, and the dragon fire burned through their lines.

I hated that Dothraki charge and still do, it was the worst part of the episode for not making sense. I know why they did it, to build the suspense and fear when the Dothraki horde gets wiped out, but it was a terrible plan when they have seasoned battle commanders in their ranks.
Not smart but how bad ass was it when the swords were lit,I thought " ohh jesus ,game changer and thought the Dothraki would F the up" only to be snuffed out like a smoke hitting an ash tray.. soit was a super high moment followed by a gut punch.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think when Jorah died that is the first time we have ever seen Daenerys cry like that. Her oldest and most loyal friend dying to protect her, and she was devastated by it. We've never seen her this distraught over anything.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
My guess with the Dothraki charge is that they didn't think they would be that ineffective. It's not like they've fought numerous battles against them to judge how susceptible the army of the dead is to cavalry.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
This is my last rant of the day about this episode and it might not mean that much but Arya had absolutely nothing to do with the white walker story line so far, it was all Jon and Dany and she was the one to kill him with one single stab? Jon never talks about Cersei or anyone else except the NK (prior you could make the argument of Ramsey bolton) and he was pretty meaninglessly flying a dragon around half the episode

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Very true but Cersei’s plan or whatever she is doing is not nearly as exciting as the White walkers and the NK in my opinion. I guess that’s why I’m so underwhelmed about it, even though the guy doesn’t talk he was the ultimate threat to civilization.
Yeah ,after saving the world now everyone has to go back to work tomorrow. How do you rally troops after what just happened. Now to most people its a war between to queens they don't know or care about.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
My guess with the Dothraki charge is that they didn't think they would be that ineffective. It's not like they've fought numerous battles against them to judge how susceptible the army of the dead is to cavalry.
Dothraki charge is stupid for numerous reasons - not the least of which being Dothraki are light cavalry, not heavy cavalry. They're flankers and harrassers, not what you use to break a line.

Also - a big portion of the effectiveness of heavy cavalry is their effect on morale. Not a factor against the undead.

Also - WHY THE f*** ARE THE SIEGE ENGINES ON THE FRONT LINES!

Still awesome. Jon is an idiot confirmed, though.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
NiftyPotableBaiji-size_restricted.gif

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
This is my last rant of the day about this episode and it might not mean that much but Arya had absolutely nothing to do with the white walker story line so far, it was all Jon and Dany and she was the one to kill him with one single stab? Jon never talks about Cersei or anyone else except the NK (prior you could make the argument of Ramsey bolton) and he was pretty meaninglessly flying a dragon around half the episode

So do people want obvious things or not? I'm honestly confused. People complain about fantasy tropes, yet want the hero to slay the dragon? Isn't that like the mother of all fantasy tropes?

Reactions: Vex and Blender

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I think doubly because it wasn’t a hardened line of spears they were charging but loosely armed meat. They didn’t account for it being a legit wall of meat though.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
Everything everyone had ever done bought then to that moment and it played out as it was supposed to. Ned beheaded was as important to killing the NK as Jon bringing everyone together.

Reactions: Nihiliste

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Jon is the worst, least interesting character with the worst arc in the show. The arc for him is entire plot based - he's still exactly the same character as he was in the first episode. Everyone else has grown and changed - he's just blah.

Sucks in the books too.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Everything everyone had ever done bought then to that moment and it played out as it was supposed to. Ned beheaded was as important to killing the NK as Jon bringing everyone together.

Which might be what Bran’s final twist is and why he can time travel warg like what happened with Hodor.

I think him making the mad king mad may actually happen because he needed to set things in motion.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
So do people want obvious things or not? I'm honestly confused. People complain about fantasy tropes, yet want the hero to slay the dragon? Isn't that like the mother of all fantasy tropes?
Yes, Jon slaying the evil monster is the definition of an obvious fantasy trope. Something certain people have been complaining about for a few seasons now, but are now voicing the opposite complaint when the trope was subverted.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
I for one would have rather seen an epic sword battle between the NK and Jon instead of a flying spider monkey Arya kill him with a single stab. Instead we got that ending and now we never saw the night king do anything except throw a spear and walk around.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Why did they even meet the army of the dead on the battle field? Why not just man spears atop the wall, and pick them off one by one as they attempt to climb over?

At that point the only real threat would've been the Night King attacking from the sky, but Dany and Jon on their dragons could've defended Winterfell from an aerial attack

Reactions: Nihiliste

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yes, Jon slaying the evil monster is the definition of an obvious fantasy trope. Something certain people have been complaining about for a few seasons now, but are now voicing the opposite complaint when the trope was subverted.
I wonder if it's because...

The one who did it has a vagina!

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Why did they even meet the army of the dead on the battle field? Why not just man spears atop the wall, and pick them off one by one as they attempt to climb over?

At that point the only real threat would've been the Night King attacking from the sky, but Dany and Jon on their dragons could've defended Winterfell from an aerial attack
Not everyone can fit in the castle. And with the shear volume of them, theres no way you have time to lunge, kill something, pull out your spear/sword and get ready to do it again before another one is up there.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

I mean - if you want to skewer every dumb tactical decision made during that battle, we're going to be here all day.

I *guess* you could argue it is because they could just go past Winterfell and just keep going, so you need to have a pitched battle eventually. And can the undead siege? If so, that's a lot of people you're starving out in there. Plus, you do have air superiority, so tactically a battle isn't the worst idea in the world.

The downside is THEY HAD THE WORST PLAN EVER WHY ARE THE SIEGE ENGINGES ON THE FRONT LINES WHY DO YOU INITIATE THE ENGAGEMENT WITH LIGHT CAVALRY WHYWHYWHYWHYWHY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad