TV: Game of Thrones prequel pilot ordered

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Apologies for Daily Mail, but we have some leaked images from the set

House Of The Dragon FIRST LOOK: Matt Smith and Emma D'Arcy film on Cornwall beach | Daily Mail Online

42298060-9518859-FIRST_LOOK_Matt_Smith_has_been_seen_filming_for_the_hotly_antici-m-80_1619601379397.jpg

Having now seen these images of what they look like with the platinum wigs and in full costume, I'm definitely much less apprehensive about the casting now

Last edited:

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I'd agree with this.

I sat there at the end of Season 7, wondering how the hell they were going to pull off completing this show in six episodes. The Walkers had just breached the Wall. You had the humanity vs Walkers storyline, then the Throne storyline...and that's the most simplified, major things without the other plot points in there.

Anyways, on topic of this new show, I do hope the Doom of Valyria is incorporated into the show. From my understanding (and my memory is bad), the Doom takes place about 100 years before the show is set to take place, so it would have to be some form of flashback. I think this show has a lot of potential, with a full-blown civil war, plotting, scheming and undermining Targaryen's. Dragon vs Dragon combat, too. I thought the Long Night show that got cancelled after the pilot would have been great, too.
id be surprised if the doom was talked about much. this show is set about 100 years after the conquest if it starts with a young rhaenyra targaryan so about 200 years after the doom.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
My major interest in these spin offs to is to provide some fleshing out of characters and events alluded to/referenced in the books/show. I think the Doom of Valyria is one such event.

Reactions: Tuggy

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Eh I hated the end of Game of Thrones but the series are so loosely tied in that the main series ending with a wet fart will have absolutely no impact in whether I like this show or not.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland

The costume department is once again doing great job. Also, the Targaryens look much better in this picture than in the leaked set picture. In the leaked picture they looked like an old couple with white hair while in this one you can see blonde hair as well. Hightowers look the best though and The Sea Snake looks like a hobo.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I'll obviously watch it if it's available on the pay-per-view channels I have. But can't say that I'm terribly enthused about it. One thing that "bothers" me is that I don't find the drama within the Targ family that interesting. It was the conflict between the scheming South and the naive/honest North that I found really interesting in GoT. Basically everything about the north or the Starks was really interesting for me. I don't know where they'll go with this series but it doesn't look like it will be quite as "global" as the original series.

Reactions: MadDevil and Osprey

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The costume department is once again doing great job. Also, the Targaryens look much better in this picture than in the leaked set picture. In the leaked picture they looked like an old couple with white hair while in this one you can see blonde hair as well. Hightowers look the best though and The Sea Snake looks like a hobo.

It will be interesting to see the casting for the Velaryon/Strong boys, their bastardy will be pretty damn obvious/ not with the Corlys casting

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I like loved Game of Thrones but the last season seriously eroded any love I had for the series and any confidence I have that their is any magic beyond the first 4 books. I've written off this franchise (I won't even read any book that will never come out, its been too late- I bought Game of Thrones in 1999..... 1999)

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
looks sick. daemon and rhaenyra look more targ than i expected based on their natural looks. daemon's armor in that quick fight scene was really cool. lannister, stark, tarly banners displayed in the trailer.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
I’m very wary. Season 8 was a hot mess and except for the big season finales it went downhill several seasons before that already. Might check it out later on but this smells more like a cash grab than an attempt for redemption / resurrection of an once all-time great show.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
I am excited for this, I was a bit sceptical at first mostly about the casting but it has grown on me the more and more I have seen of it.

I like what they have done to the Iron Throne to make it look more like it's supposed to in the books with all the extra swords.

I don't think people should have much cause for concern as D&D aren't being let anywhere near it but they're keeping all the best of the previous crew like Miguel Sapochnik as a producer and Ramin Djawadi doing the music. There's also extensive source material for the story from Gurm.

I hope it's a success so they make more. I'd especially like to see the Dunk and Egg novella series adapted onto screen as well as Aegon's Conquest and the Blackfyre Rebellion.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I am open to it as D&D aren't involved and the directors of some of the best episodes of the original series have a bigger role in this one. I will give it a shot.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I had taken out an audio book copy of Fire and Blood from the library, but stopped listening half way through when I got to this point of the story so I could keep the TV show fresh. Normally I wouldn't stop a book to wait for the film version, but since FaB is written like a historical book instead of a novel I figured it's a good idea here.

So I don't have anywhere close to the same anticipation I had when Game of Thrones was starting, kind of neutral this time around, but I'll still be looking forward to watching it. Of course this time around it has a lot more competition in the genre.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
And every single one of those people will tune in to still watch...

If I may ask, what's the point that you're making here? Is it that the criticism of S8 of GoT is overblown if people aren't upset enough to swear off GoT for life over it? If so, that seems illogical. Fans who get the most upset are some of the biggest fans of franchises and, therefore, also most likely to watch new entries. In fact, complaining is an indication that they care. I'm not the biggest GoT fan, but I am a huge Star Trek fan who's complained bitterly about nearly everything put out by the franchise in the last 20 years, yet I still watch each new series and movie. GoT has been disappointing for only a few years and this is only the second series. It's natural for fans who were upset at how the first series ended to tune in, anyways.

Last edited:

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
And every single one of those people will tune in to still watch...

I doubt it.

I would actually be really really surprised if this gets anywhere near the same viewing figures as the main series.

The main target audience for this seems to be book fans and people who are really into all of the world building and lore, I doubt many of the casuals who didn't like Season 8 would be interested in this.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
I doubt it.

I would actually be really really surprised if this gets anywhere near the same viewing figures as the main series.

The main target audience for this seems to be book fans and people who are really into all of the world building and lore, I doubt many of the casuals who didn't like Season 8 would be interested in this.
pretty sure the teaser was number 1 trending on youtube and twitter. lots of ppl will be interested that loves the show and got really pissed with how it ended. the main culprits of the disastrous ending arent involved.

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
I doubt it.

Id wager far fewer "casuals" (the f***?) hated season 8s than, uh hardcores? whatever the opposite would be

Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad