TV: Game of Thrones prequel pilot ordered

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Nope. No doubt I'll be waiting a few episodes to hear what the critics are like and they better be really good. Took me over 4 years before watching my first episode of GoT.
To each their own. I like to watch shows and form my own opinions, not let other people decide if I'm going to watch something or not.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
To each their own. I like to watch shows and form my own opinions, not let other people decide if I'm going to watch something or not.

Same here. That's why I thought season 8 was shit. And nothing wrong with what critics say if you know what information to look for. Doesn't mean if they give it praise it will make me want to watch it more. I might not like the same things they do.

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
As one who totally loved GOT and just watched it for what it was and found it fun and wasn't bothered by some nit picks.
Just a thought on season 8 , the pace was fast but so was the sudden threat on the march.the first 6 seasons there wasn't an army of the dead bearing down on them ,most thought it was still a myth. The pace is a reflection of the immediate danger.
The new series ill watch , as a fan and someone whom likes 1/2 of what HBO churns out.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005

Like most people, I imagine that you've skipped a lot of shows and movies because something about them or their reviews didn't appeal to you. It doesn't mean that you formed an opinion on them or let other people decide for you. You decided for yourself based on information that you gathered. There's nothing wrong with that, IMO. There's also nothing wrong with deciding that you're going to watch something without much of any information. To each their own, as you said.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
As one who totally loved GOT and just watched it for what it was and found it fun and wasn't bothered by some nit picks.
Just a thought on season 8 , the pace was fast but so was the sudden threat on the march.the first 6 seasons there wasn't an army of the dead bearing down on them ,most thought it was still a myth. The pace is a reflection of the immediate danger.
The new series ill watch , as a fan and someone whom likes 1/2 of what HBO churns out.

The pace was a result of fewer episodes. I'm glad you were able to rationalize it, though. Not being sarcastic.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
The pace was a result of fewer episodes. I'm glad you were able to rationalize it, though. Not being sarcastic.

I'd agree with this.

I sat there at the end of Season 7, wondering how the hell they were going to pull off completing this show in six episodes. The Walkers had just breached the Wall. You had the humanity vs Walkers storyline, then the Throne storyline...and that's the most simplified, major things without the other plot points in there.

Anyways, on topic of this new show, I do hope the Doom of Valyria is incorporated into the show. From my understanding (and my memory is bad), the Doom takes place about 100 years before the show is set to take place, so it would have to be some form of flashback. I think this show has a lot of potential, with a full-blown civil war, plotting, scheming and undermining Targaryen's. Dragon vs Dragon combat, too. I thought the Long Night show that got cancelled after the pilot would have been great, too.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I binge watched GOT until the final season, and I suspect that changes how an individual would view the pacing.

I didn’t have to wait a week after a slow episode, so that probably makes my POV on each season different than someone who watched the show in real time.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Anyone know if Martin will write/produce any of this show? Or is his involvement just writing the source material?

He's credited as a series writer, but I don't know if that's for actual episodes or more just the source material. The other writer did the screenplays for Hercules and Rampage, and was the creator of the series Colony (which I never watched), so I'm not exactly filled with confidence by that. He's also listed as writing the screenplays or forthcoming Logan's Run and Highlander movies, which I wasn't even aware they were doing.

Reactions: Kurtz

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hardhome might have been my favorite episode of all of GoT so if the show can come even remotely close to that level of quality I'd be quite happy.

I'll be watching this day 1, GoT itself has a stain for me but the full Universe still interests me a tonne and I will definitely give it a chance if nothing else.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I totally lost interest in this world after the last season and the inability of Martin to finish the books. I legit read the first three books in 2000-01 when I was in school and now, I am an old man and I cannot even muster the interest to reread the series and I have forgotten all that happened besides the large events (from my recollection after season1 things shrank in the series compared to the books)

Its never gettting finished until Martin dies and even then I dont care.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is the lore already well-established for this period of time?

I don't have the encyclopedia or anything.

My point I guess is that the shock value of main characters dying was one of the compelling aspects of this franchise, and if people don't know ahead of time, it could drive viewership.

Unfortunately, it also means everyone will be waiting for it, much like M. Night was stuck with putting twists in all of his films.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Is the lore already well-established for this period of time?

I don't have the encyclopedia or anything.

My point I guess is that the shock value of main characters dying was one of the compelling aspects of this franchise, and if people don't know ahead of time, it could drive viewership.

Unfortunately, it also means everyone will be waiting for it, much like M. Night was stuck with putting twists in all of his films.

Yes, most of it is already set out in The Princess and the Queen, as well as the section in Fire & Blood

However in both of those there is a clear inference of an unreliable narrator, which is the Maester who is supposed to have written it, and there is often a contradictory version of events presented by the court fool "Mushroom" whose alternative story is often not very PC and includes lots of wild raunchy sex stories and all that kind of exciting stuff.

So even though things like which characters will die are more or less set in stone, there are still lots of unanswered questions and theories

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
He's credited as a series writer, but I don't know if that's for actual episodes or more just the source material. The other writer did the screenplays for Hercules and Rampage, and was the creator of the series Colony (which I never watched), so I'm not exactly filled with confidence by that. He's also listed as writing the screenplays or forthcoming Logan's Run and Highlander movies, which I wasn't even aware they were doing.

Yeah, cause Martin was also listed as a writer for S8 of GoT, when it was widely reported he had nothing to do with the show from Season 6-8, I believe. Other than offering some footnotes of some random things (Hodor situation, Bran becoming King).

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Yeah, cause Martin was also listed as a writer for S8 of GoT, when it was widely reported he had nothing to do with the show from Season 6-8, I believe. Other than offering some footnotes of some random things (Hodor situation, Bran becoming King).
He reportedly provided the outline for how the series was to end, some major events, and where main characters were to end up. Didn't seem he actually wrote scripts or anything.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
He reportedly provided the outline for how the series was to end, some major events, and where main characters were to end up. Didn't seem he actually wrote scripts or anything.

He couldn't even figure out how to get to the ending in the books much less write episodes getting there.:laugh:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He couldn't even figure out how to get to the ending in the books much less write episodes getting there.:laugh:

Eh I don't think those two things I don't think connected, he can easily write and that's likely is a big problem getting to the ending. I think Martin would be fine writing this series if he was 30 years younger and could just write without any concern for how big the series got.

Reactions: Prairie Habs

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Eh I don't think those two things I don't think connected, he can easily write and that's likely is a big problem getting to the ending. I think Martin would be fine writing this series if he was 30 years younger and could just write without any concern for how big the series got.

He wrote himself into a corner because he couldn't resist the temptation to expand the map, and now he's created a bloated nightmare that he's having trouble writing himself out of without resorting to cliches, and I think he's kind of given up.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
He wrote himself into a corner because he couldn't resist the temptation to expand the map, and now he's created a bloated nightmare that he's having trouble writing himself out of without resorting to cliches, and I think he's kind of given up.

More or less what I mean. If he was younger when he started and not committed to a specific amount of books he could just go ham on it like Robert Jordan and maybe today we'd instead of an endless wait between books there'd be 10 ASoIF books out with an ending actually if not reached at least in sight. It would make the serious less prestigious but personally I would prefer that alternative to our reality.

Reactions: Cas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad