Votes: 20 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Blueger is definitely more important to the PK.

We have PK options.
Kapanen knows how to PK and honestly pair him with like Boyle and he can skate up the ice and be the guy that slows them in the neutral zone.

Erod PKs to so maybe give him a little more there.
We have tons of guys that can do it. With our improved depth you can dock a minute from L1 and give Sid and Jake a few shifts. They were really successful at it before.

Would Heinen be a bad PK'er? Highly doubt it. He's very good on the walls and is a good possession player.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
So when do we retire #12 from the rafters and hold the video farewell/thanks for everything montage? Since both ZAR and Simon wore #12 at various points, we basically get a 2 for 1 deal on the retirement ceremony…it’s going to be a short montage as there aren’t a lot of goals…. but I dont think we can wait for Anaheim to return to PPG next season as neither player will likely be on their roster…

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
So when do we retire #12 from the rafters and hold the video farewell/thanks for everything montage? Since both ZAR and Simon wore #12 at various points, we basically get a 2 for 1 deal on the retirement ceremony…it’s going to be a short montage as there aren’t a lot of goals…. but I dont think we can wait for Anaheim to return to PPG next season as neither player will likely be on their roster…
Because they will be on the Penguins' roster?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004

Fire up some ol "I Will Remember You" by Sarah McLachlan.

Be sure to cut to the bench during the montage so we can watch a single tear slowly fall down Sullivan's face.

Get a live reaction from the Twitter stat wonks slow-clapping their asses off as they nod their heads in approval.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Because they will be on the Penguins' roster?

You just know there’s going to be an In The Room segment to start next season after the Pens let Letang and Rust leave discussing who to sign in free agency and Sully will be heard to say: “ZAR and Simon are hard to play against and they will score a lot of goals for us…”

Reactions: pistolpete11

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I said this in another thread, but i'll bring it up here:

I'm very interested to see if the PK suffers due to ZAR being out. Like him or lump him, he's a darn good PKer. That's the special teams battle I'll be focused on tonight
tell me what made him a darn good PKer. He PKed when our PK stunk, he PKed when our PK was rolling...this is pundits talking points one that they don't bother to look any further...I promise you our new PK guy Brian Rust is a gazzilion times better PKer than ZAR...PK is all about getting fast in the lane, and getting fast pressuring the guy with the puck...ZAR can't do any one of those things

Reactions: Andy99

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
The PK was 27th in the league with ZAR on it and Blueger out.
Blue returns and it became strong again.

Blue and McGinn are more effective at it imo.

ZAR was good at shot blocks and maintaining good positioning of the box with stick in lanes
But I feel like Blue and McGinn are better at the things that kill a lot of time: zone entry prevention, successful clearances, ragging the puck in the other 2/3rds of the ice and disruption of progression up ice.

ZAR was a good PK'er. Don't get me wrong. Particularly good at situations where the opposition PP is really strong and pressuring.

But I question if he's as essential at it as some people have been brainwashed to believe.
stop questioning, its a f***ing myth perpetating by lazy and terrible PGH media...He is good when Jarry is good, when he is paired up with a speedy forward such as Blueger or anyone that can put the pressure on a QB...this shit drives me nuts...that was the same stuff how they proped Adams back in time

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Pens just brought in a brand new scoring winger...opposing team's goalie has a .878 save percentage...get ready for the boys to put up 50 shots and lose 1-0 somehow.

Just kidding...I hope.
Not only this, but you know Rakell will have like 5 quality chances and he’ll hit the post a few times and get robbed the others and everyone here will scream “see he isn’t a finisher!”

Reactions: Andy99

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Not only this, but you know Rakell will have like 5 quality chances and he’ll hit the post a few times and get robbed the others and everyone here will scream “see he isn’t a finisher!”

Nah we're all used to watching L2 have reams of glorious chances that go nowhere for weeks at a time, already.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think ZAR's highlight as a Penguin was him getting his jaw broke by Wilson, because I can't remember a single other thing about him...

The most memorable thing to me about ZAR are the debates he constantly sparked.

And the fact that, in a wonderful twist of irony, he said he had no idea how advanced stats work.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The thing about PKers is people will say "oh but he's good at killing penalties" when what they mean is "he plays on the PK"

I remember that used to be the calling card for the Craig Adams defenders. We need him in the lineup for his PK ability. Yet, the Pens don't seem to have struggled since he retired.

It's almost like a team's PK ability is more a reflection of the coaching staff and how well they get all 4 guys to buy into the system rather than one random 4th line plug who happens to play on it because he's willing to block shots.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I remember that used to be the calling card for the Craig Adams defenders. We need him in the lineup for his PK ability. Yet, the Pens don't seem to have struggled since he retired.

It's almost like a team's PK ability is more a reflection of the coaching staff and how well they get all 4 guys to buy into the system rather than one random 4th line plug who happens to play on it because he's willing to block shots.

The penalty killer is also the go-to bastion for bootlicking when it comes to sports journalists.

And all the armchair coaches nod along in unison and say "This team needs guys like Adams/Glass/Sill/Scuderi/ZAR because he's a top penalty killer."

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The penalty killer is also the go-to bastion for bootlicking when it comes to sports journalists.

And all the armchair coaches nod along in unison and say "This team needs guys like Adams/Glass/Sill/Scuderi/ZAR because he's a top penalty killer."

I don't even mind if they say those guys are effective at it, per se. My bigger exception comes when they make it sound like they're instrumental in the PK being good or bad, and that losing them will completely tank the PK's effectiveness.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't even mind if they say those guys are effective at it, per se. My bigger exception comes when they make it sound like they're instrumental in the PK being good or bad, and that losing them will completely tank the PK's effectiveness.

Yeah I didn't word that terrifically. That's what I mean... like... every time the debate starts to heat up over these forgettable plugs that don't score for like a season straight you always have this contingent that insists the team's defense/PK/soul will crumble the minute they are traded and that's why they MUST keep them. Yohe and Madden said so!

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Also, I really, really hope Rakell can be productive sooner rather than later. I don't want to go through another Kapanen situation where I'm sort of hyped about the new forward addition, only to be disappointed with the lack of offense the majority of his time with the club.

This is why I'm not excited about this trade. At all. I think Rakell is basically Swedish Zucker.

I'm just pleased that the team navigated the TDL expertly, didn't give up anything of significant value (in context), at least made the team DEEPER and sent a couple of guys that are extremely limited that can be replaced by some young blood packing.

Invalid cuz QoC

Jan 30, 2017

The only thing Craig Adams was good at was being Malkin’s punching bag.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m excited for the first time in awhile to watch the Pens…unfortunately the dog park is calling again and I’ll miss at least the first period…

Reactions: Invalid cuz QoC

RxPens

Oct 7, 2008
Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but it seems that Rakell has been heating up since the all star break. He has 8 goals in his last 15 games in Anaheim. Here is hoping his injury (off since Mar 12th) isn't too serious, and he can get back to that level quickly.

Last edited:
Reactions: DisIsMyLife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad