GDT: | Game LXII | Pens vs Caps | 1500hrs EST | Ice cold Penguins against the Russian Bear

Rocky Movies:

• Amazing

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • Lame

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
wellthissucks-madagascar.gif

vs

9508ca2a27ade4ac8ea5d2fd717df3a6.gif

3 p.m. ET | Watch live on ESPN+
Line: Pittsburgh -140 | Over/under: 6

Capitals
ESPN Power Rankings:
Leading scorer: Alex Ovechkin, 81 points in 68 games
2021-22 record: 38-22-10 (86 points), fourth in Metro Division
  • The Capitals have a 14-6-1 record against the Metropolitan Division this season, the best of any team within that division. That would be the team's third-best record against the Metro since the division was created in 2013-14.​
  • The Capitals come into Saturday's game with a roster that has an average age of 30.0 years, tied with the Islanders for the oldest in the league. The Penguins are tied for the fifth-oldest roster with the Wild at 29.3 years.​
  • Washington has struggled in the faceoff circle, ranking 28th overall (47.4%), last on the power play (46.1%) and 30th in offensive zone draws (45.3%). Among 87 qualifying players, Lars Eller ranks 56th (49.8%) and Evgeny Kuznetsov ranks 84th (43.7%) in faceoff win pct.​
  • Alex Ovechkin stands at 773 goals, leaving him 28 away from tying Gordie Howe for second all-time (801). With 12 games left, if Ovechkin maintains his season pace, he'll finish with exactly 50 goals for the ninth time in his career, which would tie Wayne Gretzky and Mike Bossy for the most in NHL history.​
  • Ovechkin has reached 300 shots for a 15th time in his 17-year career (301), three more than any other player in NHL history. Only Auston Matthews (314) and David Pastrnak (304) have taken more than Ovechkin this season.​
  • John Carlson is one point shy of his fourth career 60-point season. Over the last five seasons, Carlson has the most assists (250) and points (316) by a defenseman.​
  • Nicklas Backstrom's points-per-game rate of 0.73 would be the lowest of his career. He still has 276 career assists on goals by Alex Ovechkin.​

Penguins
ESPN Power Rankings:
Leading scorer: Sidney Crosby, 72 points in 59 games
2021-22 record: 41-21-10 (92 points), third in Metro Division
  • The Penguins played without Sidney Crosby in Thursday's 3-0 loss to the Rangers. They are 5-4-4 when Crosby is out of the lineup this season and 36-17-6 when he does play. One of the biggest differences without Crosby in the lineup is the power play, which converts 9.5% in the 13 games without him (they are at 21.5% overall). For context, the Flyers have the NHL's worst power-play rate at 12.6% this season.​
  • Pittsburgh's three-game losing streak is tied for the team's longest in regulation this season. A loss in regulation in this game would give the Penguins their second-longest losing streak over the last five seasons (6 straight from Feb. 20-29, 2020). Since March 15, the Penguins are 5-6-1 overall and a 2-6-0 mark against teams currently in playoff position, with both victories coming beyond regulation (3-2 shootout win at St. Louis on March 17 and a 4-3 OT win at Minnesota on March 31).​
  • The Penguins are second in penalty kill percentage this season, at 86.0%. They have finished in the top 2 in penalty kill percentage once in team history: 2010-11, when they led the league at 86.1%. Their current conversion rate would rank fourth-highest in a single season in team history (stat first tracked in 1977-78).Goalie Tristan Jarry has lost four straight starts and is 1-5-0 in his last six appearances with an .891 save percentage. All five of those losses have come against the Rangers (3) and the Avalanche (2).​
  • Bryan Rust has a career-high 57 points this season, 48 of which have come in the 2022 calendar year. The only Penguins player with more in that span is Crosby, with 54. The trio of Crosby, Rust and Jake Guentzel have accounted for 35% of the Penguins goals this season. But since Jan. 1, it's up to 42%.​
BbtmjX.gif

Pens1.jpg

U6LE.gif

Pens2.jpg

10631591.gif

Pens3.jpg

ivan-drago-rocky-balboa.gif

Pens4.jpg

Dtlq.gif

Per usual, ESPN and TSN provided the incorrect stats.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The Caps are great away and we suck at home…what could go wrong? Fortunately I guess I’m going to miss most of this one, maybe catch part of the third period…I expect to see more of the lame ass D and lack of finishing in this one so no loss for me…we’re probably going to end up 1-3 against the Caps this season…sad face

Also, first Rocky was amazing, but subsequent Rockys all sucked, leaving a “meh” score for the totality of that franchise…

Last edited:

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Rocky is Philadelphia’s greatest athlete.

Greatest human actually.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just a superb GDT, @Zirakzigil !

I'm actually finding it a struggle to give the effort these days, and it not about the stars, it's about the support these stars are just not getting. Why is it always that way? We watch other teams get that support.

LGP! Gasp....

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Lol…our finishing just keeps getting worse….

Advanced stats matchup​

penscaps2.JPG

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
Does it really matter if we play Panthers or Rags? If we face Cats we will lose game 5-2 and if we face NYR it will be 2-0. The Caps will eliminate Florida in the first round though, if we face NYR. So maybe its better if we get the Panthers because of that!

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Does it really matter if we play Panthers or Rags? If we face Cats we will lose game 5-2 and if we face NYR it will be 2-0. The Caps will eliminate Florida in the first round though, if we face NYR. So maybe its better if we get the Panthers because of that!

I think it matters a lot. Florida are better than us. Rangers are not - if we have our best lineup and play well. I don’t think our best is good enough against the Cats.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think it matters a lot. Florida are better than us. Rangers are not - if we have our best lineup and play well. I don’t think our best is good enough against the Cats.
Uh, the Rangers are better than us….that doesn’t guarantee they’ll be better in the POs though, but as of right now, yeah, you’d have to say they’re be…as is the entire playoff field in the East…I’d have to put the Pens last based on how the teams are looking/playing right now

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

C'mon....

Win!

Yes, I know my enemies...

All of which are Penguin Fans dreams!

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I didn't get to watch Thursday and haven't been on the internet much since then. Had no clue Crosby was injured in the Rangers game.

What happened?

Also, I was going to ask how Hallander did, but he played less than 6 minutes...

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I didn't get to watch Thursday and haven't been on the internet much since then. Had no clue Crosby was injured in the Rangers game.

What happened?

Also, I was going to ask how Hallander did, but he played less than 6 minutes...
Sid and Marino and Zohorna were ill with that stomach bug Geno and others had I guess…never suited up..Hallander did nothing memorable and Sullivan likes it that way lol

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Sid and Marino and Zohorna were ill with that stomach bug Geno and others had I guess…never suited up..Hallander did nothing memorable and Sullivan likes it that way lol

Thanks. Didn't even see that Sid wasn't in the box score at all. But it also seems like it was a good game to not watch.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Thanks. Didn't even see that Sid wasn't in the box score at all. But it also seems like it was a good game to not watch.
They’ve all been great games not to watch lately lol…In fact, I’m not sure the Pens win a game this upcoming week either lol with the Isles playing well and the Bruins…in fact, the only game they might have a chance to win is tomorrow as the Preds are coming off a bad turn around time for their b2b and probably won’t be starting Saros…

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I'm starting to think that Ryan Wilson actually hates the Pens. I agree that the Pens have not been great recently, but if they go 50/50 the rest of the way they finish with 102 pts. If the Capitals do the same, they finish with 98 pts. Not saying that it's not possible to catch the Pens in the standings, but statistically speaking it is very unlikely. Essentially the Pens only really have to worry about the Caps today and hope to break even in the games against Nashville, Boston and Edmonton. Of course NYI, Philly, Detroit and Columbus are not guaranteed wins, but they are very winnable games for the Pens.

Just looking at the schedules the Pens have 5 games left against playoff teams with one back to back (today/tomorrow). The Caps have 7 games left against playoff teams and 2 back to backs left (today/tomorrow and the last two games of the season). Depending how the next couple weeks go, the Rangers might be able to decide who their opponent is going to be as they play the Capitals in the last game of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad