GDT: Game # Leafs host Flames 7:30pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Yeah Jumbo as well. I at least have some hope for him in the playoffs though. You never know with these old guys. He could find a little extra motivation come playoff time and be better than he is now.

I still like the move getting Jumbo forsure.

Last night some of his passes I was shaking my head at though. Mind you most of the team was shit last night which is pretty rare this year.

I think come playoff time he'll come up big on the 4th line ... but they need to limit his time. They have a lot of guys now that can be rotated in now too.

Reactions: Madap

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
They should consider resting Thornton on a back-to-back. As much as I love him, he literally contributes nothing when he's on the ice. No good defensive plays, no offensive pressure, no speed, no big hits, he literally offers nothing but a hindrance to his linemates. Even Spezza got a game rest earlier in the season, so why not Jumbo?

Can't wait until Nylander and Foligno are in the lineup, maybe that will spell the end for Engvall, as he's useless.

Would love to see Rittich start against his former team tonight. Not a fan of Hutchinson, never will be.

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Great OP.

Looks like Jack is starting again today... I guess the official line is TBC depending on Rittich. Hutchinson won't dress unless Rittich needs time to get settled.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Great OP.

Looks like Jack is starting again today... I guess the official line is TBC depending on Rittich. Hutchinson won't dress unless Rittich needs time to get settled.

There's no chance they play Jack again in a b2b. They would put Marincin in net before risking an injury with him like that

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He'll be back on Thursday but that should not be an excuse for this team. Without Matthews, this same team shutout McDrai's team twice and out scored them 7-0 in those 2 games.
Wasn’t looking for an excuse, just curious. Nylander doesn’t move the needle that much.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
They need to try something else besides that little chip in front of their own net on the breakout. It seems pretty obvious teams are reading that.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
They need to try something else besides that little chip in front of their own net on the breakout. It seems pretty obvious teams are reading that.

How about they occasionally just carry the puck up the ice and soft dump it to a corner with a moving forward to go retrieve...teams just wait for the back pass and stack the blue line and dare them to try and stick handle through...it seems so simple even just to change it up on occasion just to throw teams PK’ers off and make them think...right now they can literally just wait on their blue line knowing the first man out is just looking to make a pass backwards before the real rush begins

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
How about they occasionally just carry the puck up the ice and soft dump it to a corner with a moving forward to go retrieve...teams just wait for the back pass and stack the blue line and dare them to try and stick handle through...it seems so simple even just to change it up on occasion just to throw teams PK’ers off and make them think...right now they can literally just wait on their blue line knowing the first man out is just looking to make a pass backwards before the real rush begins
I wasn’t referring to the PP but I agree that seems predictable as well.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
That play is inane and literally one of the most ridiculous plays I’ve ever seen in hockey in my life
They not only do it in their corner but all over inside their zone , it’s dangerous and counter productive for the little times it works .
I see it possibly being more effective in junior , but not in the big leagues , like you pointed out that teams are looking for it everywhere. It’s good for about 2-4 chaotic turnovers or possible scoring chances against per game
Put the damn puck up the wall when in trouble or eat it .
It crazy ..
I love the new age coaching and ideas and innovations , believe me , I know it may not seem it .
But just to do something different just because it’s a new idea is crazy when clearly it doesn’t work ..
Like the drop back pass on the PP , I’m sorry , I get the theory , but if you analyze the entries and loss of time over the long haul , again doesn’t make sense at all .
Either enter with speed or one pass or hard in the corner and outman the opponent. Sometimes old ways are better you know until proven not to be ..
I love our progressive approach to many things , these are not some of them .
To me it’s like in the 50s and 60s where the Defenseman would take the face off on your own end ?? Absolutely ridiculous, again I know the theory at that time , it was about usually the stronger bigger D man to tie up the centre , but it left the centre on the defensive side to play D after the face off for a short time .
So luckily Coaches moving forward said , hey that doesn’t make sense and altered their approach ..
Evolution for good things , not just to show your new and smart and showing your being innovative just because ...
Anyway my rant of the day without picking on Pierre
Doesn't look like I need to as the coaching staff are finally understanding his worth moving into the playoffs ;)
Go Leafs Go

Last edited:

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
Wasn’t looking for an excuse, just curious. Nylander doesn’t move the needle that much.
I didn't think you were looking for an excuse, I just hope the Leafs aren't using that as an excuse. They had an entire period to score the tying goal but couldn't, and right as they pull Campbell (which was far too early), the Habs score.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick

Once they’re in they’ve moved away from the high movement that was really the mojo in their power play success earlier in the year, Marner and Matthews making high re-entries forcing defenders out to play them as they are coming in with speed (our deadliest weapon aside from Matty’s lethal shot) and opening up space in the small box teams play on us now...we are way too static for the skill we have on our PP group

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Great points
Sorry I’ve jumped on your thoughts without knowing you’ve already stated some of mine here
It’s incredible isn’t it that all those big brains and experience and they still are doing counterproductive things that are obvious to most

Reactions: JayfromNB1219

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
No idea what they're thinking on the powerplay.

The drop pass is getting old. I know they want the speed entering the zone but clearly they need to switch it up.

Dumping it in and sending 3 guys in your going to either get the puck or cause turnovers in their corners a lot of times. Then get it back to the point and keep it simple.

Pucks on net for tips or rebounds... or down low to go cross ice to make the goalie move.

Go back to basics when all else fails... which it is.

Also get the right f***ing guys on the powerplay. Load up powerplay 1 for a game or 2 and see how it goes. Anything at this point can't hurt.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Our PP needs to change , duhhhh
Only elite players and one tough sob in front of the net that doesn’t touch the puck other than rebounds and deflections
Just stop practicing it
Stop passing back
Dump and chase
Outman them
Play hard
Set up
Then free style with all your elite talent and have fun ...
Also ffs leave Hyman with AM and MM wtf just leave it alone ala bruins best line in hockey for years ! Leave it alone !!!!!!

Reactions: Burnie97

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Rielly at 94 OVR made me LOL. He needs to be better, if he can't get his game together I'd like to see him off the PP. Too many costly mistakes with him QBing. Overall we need to show up on time, disastrous 1st period cost us the game. Doesn't matter how well you play for 2 periods, in the NHL 1 garbage period like that will lose you the game. Need to be better and need more effort.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad