OT: Game Center Live Experience

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Ahh thanks man! Very helpful. How can one obtain VPN? I know a lot of people seem to do it but is it illegal?

So living in Toronto I should get every sens game except CBC and TSN period? Damn thats a good 15ish games or more...

If I got GCL i wouldnt be able to wath tomorrows game then.

VPN is not illegal but if you get caught by the NHL they have the right to terminate service. Chances are almost zero though but you never know.

I've heard unblock us is really good and it's $5/Mo. You could also use it to spoof your IP to get Netflix us and Hulu plus among other things. There's free options, but you probably get what you pay for.

This is the route I think I will be going and will be using it with xbox and xbmc. Hopefully all goes well and goodbye Rogers!

Apparently you only get the first 2 rounds of the playoffs though. Workaround for that I think is to use a non North American IP but I could be mistaken.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
VPN is not illegal but if you get caught by the NHL they have the right to terminate service. Chances are almost zero though but you never know.

I've heard unblock us is really good and it's $5/Mo. You could also use it to spoof your IP to get Netflix us and Hulu plus among other things. There's free options, but you probably get what you pay for.

This is the route I think I will be going and will be using it with xbox and xbmc. Hopefully all goes well and goodbye Rogers!

Apparently you only get the first 2 rounds of the playoffs though. Workaround for that I think is to use a non North American IP but I could be mistaken.

Thanks, bro. You and the other poster bumper seem to be strong advocates of the benefits provided by that site.

Does anyone know of another that is free and works just as well? Uni life drains every penny as it is.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hey guys, I'm doing the 7 day trial and going with unblock-us. With that being said, do I need to download roku or anything like that? Is it recommended or can I just download that, then subscribe to Game Center Live and I'm good.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Thanks, bro. You and the other poster bumper seem to be strong advocates of the benefits provided by that site.

Does anyone know of another that is free and works just as well? Uni life drains every penny as it is.

There are free VPNs but they will be VERY slow. You have to pay. Its worth it though. Lets you watch Hulu and similar sites (not to mention all the Sens games).

I use Private Internet Access. Much better than unblock.us IMO, and comes with far more recommendation.

Other added benefits of VPNs are that they encrypt your connection, meaning your provider cant see what the traffic is (aka, Rogers wont be able to throttle your p2p because they wont know they are torrents) and it protects you from people who may want to identify you by your IP (aka, no one can tell its you)

American VPNs are recommended. Despite their draconian file sharing laws, the US is one of only a handful of countries that does not require logging. This means that VPNs there can choose not to log any info, which means if anyone ever asks "who is this using this VPN to get this?" the VPN can say "we literally do not have that info". In some countries they must keep logs, and in some they must turn them over if asked.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
There are free VPNs but they will be VERY slow. You have to pay. Its worth it though. Lets you watch Hulu and similar sites (not to mention all the Sens games).

I use Private Internet Access. Much better than unblock.us IMO, and comes with far more recommendation.

Other added benefits of VPNs are that they encrypt your connection, meaning your provider cant see what the traffic is (aka, Rogers wont be able to throttle your p2p because they wont know they are torrents) and it protects you from people who may want to identify you by your IP (aka, no one can tell its you)

American VPNs are recommended. Despite their draconian file sharing laws, the US is one of only a handful of countries that does not require logging. This means that VPNs there can choose not to log any info, which means if anyone ever asks "who is this using this VPN to get this?" the VPN can say "we literally do not have that info". In some countries they must keep logs, and in some they must turn them over if asked.

Yea! I just signed up for the 7 day free tream for unblock.us! I'll look into PIA for sure.

I gotta say, the games are so slow loading on the 360 app, anyone else experiencing this?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Is a VPN "membership" (or whatever the term is) for your internet provider connection, or the computer you're using it with? For example, if I paid for a VPN service, can I use that anywhere, say the library, that I take my laptop?

testinz

Oct 2, 2007
I watched 2 games last night on computer. It's near HD quality and actually better than watching on my huge HD TV on CBC - due to distance.

Easier to see the puck, instant rewind to the all the goal as I see fit.

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
If anyone is having trouble with the Android app (as, according to the main board, EVERYONE is) try rebooting your phone. I couldnt view any streams yesterday. I tried restarting the app multiple times, changing my location, tried on wifi and LTE...nothing.

Rebooted the phone and BAM. Instantly worked.

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Couldn't you connect to Florida's stream for example through GameCenter, since the Ottawa feed is blacked out? Not sure if it's do able or not, but that's the solution I was given by a friend with GameCenter.

Last edited:

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Couldn't connect to Florida's stream for example through GameCenter, since the Ottawa feed is blacked out? Not sure if it's do able or not, but that's the solution I was given by a friend with GameCenter.

Yeah that's not going to work.

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Does anybody else feel that the "blackout policy" is absolutely ridiculous? If I'm out somewhere and I want to stream a game, I should be able to, especially if I'm paying for it.

Sportsnet should at least offer live streams based on your location then!

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Its to protect the broadcasters, who are paying the league to broadcast the games. If you watch on CI or GCL, they are losing viewers which means losing ad revenue.

The problem isnt with the broadcasters or GCL/CI, its with how ratings are calculated.

Sens92

Jan 21, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Yeah it just sucks. I'm a fan who wants to watch the game, and is willing to pay in order to do so.

Ah well, I probably shouldn't be watching the game from work anyway though. ;)

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010
Bought GCL for the first time this year. I use it in combination with Unblock-US to get around all blackouts, including CBC games. I'm in Saskatchewan so Sportsnet blackouts aren't an issue but without Unblock-US you're stuck watching CBC games on CBC.ca unless of course you have cable or an indoor antenna.

Saturday was dismal at best but yesterday I watched a few other games to great results. The 360 app is a bit hit or miss but overall I'm pretty pleased.

Truthfully I wouldn't even consider paying for it without a way to circumvent the blackouts, the policy is absolutely ludicrous. Without Unblock-US, I'd be blacked out to the game tonight because of RDS; I don't speak French and I don't even have access to RDS here.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Bought GCL for the first time this year. I use it in combination with Unblock-US to get around all blackouts, including CBC games. I'm in Saskatchewan so Sportsnet blackouts aren't an issue but without Unblock-US you're stuck watching CBC games on CBC.ca unless of course you have cable or an indoor antenna.

Saturday was dismal at best but yesterday I watched a few other games to great results. The 360 app is a bit hit or miss but overall I'm pretty pleased.

Truthfully I wouldn't even consider paying for it without a way to circumvent the blackouts, the policy is absolutely ludicrous. Without Unblock-US, I'd be blacked out to the game tonight because of RDS; I don't speak French and I don't even have access to RDS here.

Unblock-us is amazing and it's only thing keeping my experience with GCL a good one. I'm probably going to change to hockeystreams after this year though. No way in hell am I going to pay 200 bucks for 82 games followed by 5 bucks a month for the unblock us service. 250 bucks right there, absolute non-sense.

Kekumba

Jan 24, 2008
Ottawa
Bought GCL the other day for when I'm at work. Gonna be using a Nexus 7. Unlock-US looks simple enough, hopefully all goes well tonight.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Unblock-us is amazing and it's only thing keeping my experience with GCL a good one. I'm probably going to change to hockeystreams after this year though. No way in hell am I going to pay 200 bucks for 82 games followed by 5 bucks a month for the unblock us service. 250 bucks right there, absolute non-sense.

Except that GCL is not promoted as a way to watch games for fans in the market of their own team. It's promoted as a way for out of market fans to watch. Which it's great for.

And really even for your method... That's 3 bucks a game. Plus any random other games you follow (for example I'll put on west coast games to watch more often with GCL than I'd see if I was just relying on TV only).

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Except that GCL is not promoted as a way to watch games for fans in the market of their own team. It's promoted as a way for out of market fans to watch. Which it's great for.

And really even for your method... That's 3 bucks a game. Plus any random other games you follow (for example I'll put on west coast games to watch more often with GCL than I'd see if I was just relying on TV only).

Yep. GCL also is a much better experience overall IMO. And the ability to watch HD streams on mobile is awesome.

The cost is nothing. Cheaper that it would be for me to have basic cable, and when you break it down by game its insanely cheap.

Nairbo

Nov 15, 2010

You can always just keep signing up for Unblock-US trials with no penalty, it's pretty easy to do.

I couldn't agree more, but RDS feeds stopping a game from showing on GCL is absolutely a joke.

John Holmes*

I just bought the upgrade on my iphone. The only complaint I have is a minor one, but it took me a while to find the highlights of last game.

Watched a bit of Boston / Winnipeg live. Awful quality, but I am guessing that depends on your connection.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad