Game Center Live/Center Ice

banshee72

Jan 9, 2013
Center ice free preview

I'm not getting any games when I turn it to the channels. Is anyone else getting the games this afternoon?

banshee72

Jan 9, 2013
assuming I'm not going to get to see it on Center Ice...is there someplace on line that has a live feed of the game?

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
I have TWC, in the Columbus area, with my feed coming out of Marysville and I am getting the Center Ice preview since I don't subscribe. OTT/WPG this aft with all the night games listed.

banshee72

Jan 9, 2013
I'm in Grand Rapids MI with Charter. Can a cable company decide they dont want to play it for free? doesnt make any sense.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
The plus is I'll get to watch it on tv the downside is Im most likely going to get the homer Preds announcers. Not like Davidge and Rimer are that much better

FakePlasticJackets

May 10, 2003
SF via Columbus
I have had Center Ice on Comcast since I left Columbus about 10 years ago. I am flabbergasted that in the year 2013 most of the games on the package are still in low definition.

I'm surprised that they are in color.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I have had Center Ice on Comcast since I left Columbus about 10 years ago. I am flabbergasted that in the year 2013 most of the games on the package are still in low definition.

I'm surprised that they are in color.

I'm not sure how it really works but if the game is not broadcast in HD by the teams network then Direct TV or a cable company can't because they are just picking up the teams feeds. Right? Somewhere I read that it is more expensive to broadcast in HD so that is why many games are not.

On my cable system, there are two HD channels devoted to CI the rest on regular.

:dunno::help:

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm not sure how it really works but if the game is not broadcast in HD by the teams network then Direct TV or a cable company can't because they are just picking up the teams feeds. Right? Somewhere I read that it is more expensive to broadcast in HD so that is why many games are not.

On my cable system, there are two HD channels devoted to CI the rest on regular.

:dunno::help:

On Directv, there is an HD counterpart for every SD channel. The only game that Directv doesn't broadcast in HD are the Canadian feeds. If the Canadian team is playing an American team, the HD feed from the American channel is shown. There might be rare circumstances where the American games are not broadcast in HD but those seem very few and far between.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
Watched some of the Oilers/Canucks game last night on the ipad. Not sure if it's just been too long or what, but the quality was stunning compared to what I remember...and I don't remember it being bad, but the picture last night was just amazing. Not sure if it was the upgrade to the ipad 3 from the 1 or what. I know the 3 has better resolution, but didn't expect the content delivered from the NHL to take advantage of it.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Watched some of the Oilers/Canucks game last night on the ipad. Not sure if it's just been too long or what, but the quality was stunning compared to what I remember...and I don't remember it being bad, but the picture last night was just amazing. Not sure if it was the upgrade to the ipad 3 from the 1 or what. I know the 3 has better resolution, but didn't expect the content delivered from the NHL to take advantage of it.

OT: I want to make the same upgrade, can it be done at the Apple store? In other words, do they still sell the 3, now that the 4 is out?

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
I signed up for GCL on my laptop and my tablet, but, maybe I'm missing something, it seems like everything I wanted to watch was blacked out. Why are games between Pens-Rangers and Pens-Flyers blacked out for Central Ohio? Last night all I could watch was Dallas-Minn and Oilers-Nucks.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I signed up for GCL on my laptop and my tablet, but, maybe I'm missing something, it seems like everything I wanted to watch was blacked out. Why are games between Pens-Rangers and Pens-Flyers blacked out for Central Ohio? Last night all I could watch was Dallas-Minn and Oilers-Nucks.

Any games that you can pick up on local cable you can't stream on GCL.

So since Pens-Flyers and Pens-Rangers were on NBC and NBCSN, respectively, you can't pick them up.

Same rule applies to Jackets games (if you live in Columbus)

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
I figured that was probably the issue. I didn't think about the CBJ games until it was too late, we decided to cut our cable 2 years ago, really no big deal since they play a mile from where I live.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
I figured that was probably the issue. I didn't think about the CBJ games until it was too late, we decided to cut our cable 2 years ago, really no big deal since they play a mile from where I live.

If you have an android tablet, turn on GPS debugging, then grab one of the myriad GPS spoofing apps in the Google Play store. You can suddenly be thousands of miles away from Nationwide arena, and able to watch CBJ games.

I watched one game last season while at a wedding reception in Goodale Park.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So I'm down in Texas and last night was hopping around GCL and was told that Chi-StL & Montreal-FL were unavailable because they were being shown on local TV. I'm going to call later today and see what they say but I am curious if others re having similar problems?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad