Game Center Live/Center Ice

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
have been trying to follow the discussion on the mains but somewhere in the discussion of Finnish internet and Canadian exchange rates I lost the point I was trying to understand.

If anyone here has used this are the streams pretty good? I have read that they are inconsistent in some cases but not sure if that is due to internet provider, users computer, etc.

I have a pc with Windows Vista about 4-5 years old. Internet connection is pretty reliable and I have watched free feeds with varying degrees of viewing experience.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I mostly stream to an iPad or appletv and occasionally a laptop, and while there are occasional hiccups it normally works very well.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
I mostly stream to an iPad or appletv and occasionally a laptop, and while there are occasional hiccups it normally works very well.

This.

I've had it the past couple years and its pretty damn reliable. It might have hiccups as Wooten said, but its just like TV when you have a good connection.

parressh

Apr 29, 2009
Denver, CO
Last year was the first year i used Gamecenter Live instead of Center Ice (i live in Colorado). I primarily watched it through my PS3 and it was disappointing. Even though my internet connection should be more than adequate, it would not give a reliable stream and the app was somewhat buggy. I did notice that it worked much better (and had more features) on my laptop.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do this year. I like that I don't have to waste a DVR spot for long games (why does DirecTV block out 6 hours for a game?) and I don't have to worry about setting that up. So, I might give Gamecenter Live another shot this year, but not sure yet.

USNBluejack

Jul 9, 2010
Virginia Beach, VA
I've used GCL for a couple of years now, and with a good connection it works great. I stream from my tower to a 47 inch TV on the highest quality and it works great. I have used the PS3 app a few times and I have to say that the Playstation app is very buggy and hurts the quality of the stream quite a bit. But overall it's pretty reliable and beats the price of Center Ice any day.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Luckily I'm too old to even know what a ps3 is (some kind of prostate exam I thought:D)
Seriously I do know but don't have one. I'll stream to my pc.

Thanks for the feedback

Paisano*

NHL CenterIce

Talked to a Directv rep who told me theCenter Ice package starting the 19th will be $59. Not bad but not free like some people wanted as a concession from the NHL. First week will be free though. I'll probably get it to ease the hockey starvation pangs I've been having the last few months.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
How good should I expect the picture quality to be if I hook my MacBook Pro up to my 60" Samsung via an HDMI cable. I'm debating if I should get GCL or spend the 10 extra bucks to get Center Ice from Directv.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Is GCL or Center Ice something that you can subscribe to internationally?

I'm pretty sure you can do GCL if you have high speed internet connection. CI needs cable or Direct TV - I would guess Direct would be a better possibility.

BTW, I always thought Findlay was in Ohio :laugh:

CBJwheel

Mar 4, 2007
Findlay
I'm pretty sure you can do GCL if you have high speed internet connection. CI needs cable or Direct TV - I would guess Direct would be a better possibility.

Oh I should probably change that... I actually live in Japan now. :laugh:

Either way, I need to find a way to stream the games by this weekend.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005

Worst case scenario if it isn't available internationally, you can find a way to route your IP address through a proxy to make it think you are in the US. depending on the location, that could subject you to blackout rules of where ever your IP address is coming through.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
How much is Game Center Live?

I don't have cable so CI is out but i do have this internet thingy so that should help.

It is $50 this year.

Normally $125 or so if I remember correctly.

Just know you won't get any playoffs, pre or post game, intermissions, or even commercials (Except the same 4 still images for the NHL store, and really cheesy elevator music)

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It is $50 this year.

Normally $125 or so if I remember correctly.

Just know you won't get any playoffs, pre or post game, intermissions, or even commercials (Except the same 4 still images for the NHL store, and really cheesy elevator music)

I think it was actually closer to 150 last year but now that I know there are no commercials, I'm done. :laugh:

Paisano*

Not sure what's worse, the same over and over commercials or the still pics with the put you to sleep music.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
What's the best way to stream the games this season from my computer? I don't have cable, or a tv for that matter, and GCL won't work for me because I am within FS Ohio's zone so it would be blacked out for me. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

JACKETfan

Real Blue Jacketfan
Mar 18, 2006
Tampa
Talked to a Directv rep who told me theCenter Ice package starting the 19th will be $59. Not bad but not free like some people wanted as a concession from the NHL. First week will be free though. I'll probably get it to ease the hockey starvation pangs I've been having the last few months.

$49 on Fios
GC is $49 as well.
These are discounted prices compared to past years.

As usual first week or two on CI will be free preview.
I just hope more of the CBJ feeds will be carried in HD over CI.

Jacket

Apr 3, 2012
Cincinnati
What's the best way to stream the games this season from my computer? I don't have cable, or a tv for that matter, and GCL won't work for me because I am within FS Ohio's zone so it would be blacked out for me. Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not sure if this is ... frowned upon here but I'll just leave these here:

www.thedudeabides.edu
www.checkyourpmsbuddy.gov/sorryeveryone

If anyone has a better, more reliable source, PLEASE share.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad