Pre-Game Talk: Game 9 - @ Washington -'It's deja vu all over again' - NESN, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2021-1-31_18-6-51.png

upload_2021-1-31_18-7-22.png

Alex Ovechkin is back.

After sitting out four games to follow the NHL's COVID-19 protocols, Ovechkin scored the game-winner in the first minute of overtime on Saturday night as the Washington Capitals notched a 4-3 win over the Boston Bruins.

Now, Ovechkin will try it again when Washington hosts Boston on Monday night in the second game of the back-to-back series.

Dmitry Orlov also was cleared to play but the Caps made him a healthy scratch Saturday. Evgeny Kuznetsov and goalie Ilya Samsonov remain on the list and their status uncertain.

Ovechkin had not skated since Jan. 19 and Washington coach Peter Laviolette wanted to be careful with his star. He limited Ovechkin to just under 15 minutes on Saturday.

"He hasn't skated in 10 days," Laviolette said before the most recent game. "He's been trying to get a workout at his house, but it's not the same as being on the ice. It's certainly not the same as the competition that you have to play out there against a team like Boston."

The return of Ovechkin was important because Washington still is short-handed. Justin Schultz and Lars Eller both are day-to-day with upper-body injuries suffered in games last week.

The overtime goal was Ovechkin's 24th of his career and is an NHL mark. It also was career goal No. 708, bringing him even with Hall of Famer and former Capital Mike Gartner on that list at seventh all-time.

"Overall, I knew (I was going to shoot)," Ovechkin said. "I didn't want to make a move over there. I just tried to throw it on net, and hope it goes in. And it did."

The Caps also were helped by the again-strong play of rookie goalie Vitek Vanecek. He made 40 saves, kept Washington in the game early, and improved to 5-0-2.

Boston outshot the Caps 43-23, including a 19-shot first period. The Bruins also got back one of the best goal-scorers in the NHL when David Pastrnak played for the first time this season.

He'd been out after offseason hip surgery and contributed an assist in just over 20 minutes of action. Boston kept the pressure on Washington throughout the game and rallied from a 3-0 deficit to force overtime.

Nick Ritchie and Brad Marchand cut the lead to 3-2 for Boston before Charlie McAvoy scored on a scramble from in front with 58 seconds left to force overtime.

"I thought we were the better team, to be honest with you, if you look at the overall game. At the end of the day, we made a few mistakes," Boston coach Bruce Cassidy said. "They're a team that can capitalize in a hurry. Got some guys that can score."

Reactions: hrdpuk

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
I had seen Vanacek earlier this season and thought if the B's put 30+ shots on him, they'd win. But it didn't workout that way.

It was bizarre watching the B's play against Chara; but I'm glad he didn't score.

The pace of the game was great, and the refs didn't seem as whistle-happy as Tim Peel. Hope that continues Monday.

The B's can skate with the Caps, they just need to find a way to win, preferably in regulation.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Rest Rask. If you have to play him two games in a row, play them at home - the team is much better the fewer games he plays. The two recent seasons we didn't make the playoffs, Rask was overplayed. Keeping him down to a pace of about 50 starts for a regular season feels about right.

Halak is a very capable goalie, and while I'm as big of a Rask fan as any, last night wasn't one of Rask's better games. Not awful, but enough that he's created a good enough reason to give his 1B a game. And, let's face it, we're crap against the Capitals. There's something about them. They're our white whale. No need to beat ourselves up over it. Insanity is trying the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I had seen Vanacek earlier this season and thought if the B's put 30+ shots on him, they'd win. But it didn't workout that way.

It was bizarre watching the B's play against Chara; but I'm glad he didn't score.

The pace of the game was great, and the refs didn't seem as whistle-happy as Tim Peel. Hope that continues Monday.

The B's can skate with the Caps, they just need to find a way to win, preferably in regulation.

Form and ability seem to matter little when it comes to the Bruins and opposition goalies. We can make a hot up-and-comer like Hart look silly one night, and a rookie like Vanacek look world class the next. Too often though it's the latter. Too many perimeter shots, one-and-dones, shots that either hit the goalie in the chest, miss the net, or don't play for a rebound when the opportunity is there, too many times when the Bruins are content to take a shot from where their opponent wants them to rather than forcing a better position. The Bruins organization for the most part are very good at all things defense. Offense not quite so much, be it in how they recruit it, develop it or coach it. Heavy teams tend to highlight this the most, since the Bs are often not tough or fast or willing enough to work their way inside, and not talented enough to beat goalies frequently from the outside.

For me this makes these Washington games the most important in the regular season. Not only are they pound for pound the best roster in the division, with the added factor of now having an excellent coach again who is worthy of their talent, but they have the composition and game style that probably troubles the Bruins the most, and which they're only likely to see more of in the playoffs if they get there. So working out how to crack the Caps is vital to their long-term prospects, and hopefully we see more progress on that front in this 2nd game.

Reactions: Aeroforce

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I've been impressed by the Bruins so far this season. I think tonight's the night where they serve notice that they're the best team in the division beyond any doubt

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The Bruins can make a statement tonight. They have the chance to bounce back and show the Caps that it really won’t be that easy. For the Bruins to do that, it’s going to take a full 60 minute effort because the Capitals are too good to cruise against even for a few minutes.

I think they can win this game.

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
I think this week could give a good indicator on how the Bruins will be positioned within the division. Washington and Philadelphia both have some pretty solid players and should be good tests.

I hope if Freddy gets into it tonight that he handles himself well. Wilson is pretty tough dude who will take on all comers and has a lot of fighting experience.

Hopefully they bounce back tonight and good luck this week.

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I think this week could give a good indicator on how the Bruins will be positioned within the division. Washington and Philadelphia both have some pretty solid players and should be good tests.

I hope if Freddy gets into it tonight that he handles himself well. Wilson is pretty tough dude who will take on all comers and has a lot of fighting experience.

Hopefully they bounce back tonight and good luck this week.
The only thing I can think of is what KPD reported is the COVID

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Form and ability seem to matter little when it comes to the Bruins and opposition goalies. We can make a hot up-and-comer like Hart look silly one night, and a rookie like Vanacek look world class the next. Too often though it's the latter. Too many perimeter shots, one-and-dones, shots that either hit the goalie in the chest, miss the net, or don't play for a rebound when the opportunity is there, too many times when the Bruins are content to take a shot from where their opponent wants them to rather than forcing a better position. The Bruins organization for the most part are very good at all things defense. Offense not quite so much, be it in how they recruit it, develop it or coach it. Heavy teams tend to highlight this the most, since the Bs are often not tough or fast or willing enough to work their way inside, and not talented enough to beat goalies frequently from the outside.

For me this makes these Washington games the most important in the regular season. Not only are they pound for pound the best roster in the division, with the added factor of now having an excellent coach again who is worthy of their talent, but they have the composition and game style that probably troubles the Bruins the most, and which they're only likely to see more of in the playoffs if they get there. So working out how to crack the Caps is vital to their long-term prospects, and hopefully we see more progress on that front in this 2nd game.

That's pretty harsh.

Makes them sound like a horrible offensive team.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
No excuses! Find a way to win. And dont allow Ovi to just skate into the zone like he did in OT. Get in his way. Be aware of them screening the goalie and keep your head up. You know Wilson will be ready. I love Freddy but I dont think I want him fighting Tom just yet. Keep it simple.

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Out-hit 38-15 the other night.
2nd period the Caps answered the bell physically.

If the nets were 6' 2" wide... Krejci would have 5 goals already this year. The posts have not been his friend so far.

We need a stronger start plus the 2nd line to be contributing, which I have a feeling will happen.

Pasta shakes the rust off and Halak will stack the pads.
4-2 Bruins, 4 the goal and empty netter

Reactions: Mick Riddleton
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad