Post-Game Talk: Game 9 | Red Wings vs Senators | Battle of the Worst Edition | Wed Oct. 23rd, 7:30PM | SN360, SN1

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Paul should stay the whole year.

Brown is gonna get a good 15 or so games. Hopefully he builds on yesterday’s game.

That leaves Batherson. Let him simmer more in Belleville, then call him up in about a month and we’ll have the full PBB line in the NHL.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Make Nilsson the starter. Keep that Duclair line together. Makes the games watchable.

Love to see Ducalir get the pair of goals. He's been working so hard all year. He could be primed to break out.

Reactions: Cosmix

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I am hoping he becomes fantastic but I still have significant doubts that he will. His skating is better than average but not great. He is small and easily knocked down by bigger players. I suspect he may become a 5-6 defenseman who specializes on the PP but not the PK.

Actually he is surprisingly strong for a player his size. In fact, the thought rarely crosses my mind when watching him play as he does not look "small" on the ice. His issues are actual hockey related elements that could be fixed and improved on with good coaching and plain old experience.

He has incredible hockey I.Q, he has a good and surprisingly strong shot, although his accuracy is off (again could be fixed). The point I am making is Brannstrom is not being held back by his size, which is a major difference between him and why other smallish NHL players struggle and never have success.

Also compare today's NHL to the 1990's style hockey, and it is vastly different, smaller players no longer have to be "elite" to have success as long as they actually possess skill, hockey sense and good physical fitness---all of which Brannstrom has, and then some.

Reactions: Deku

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Paul should stay the whole year.

Especially when you consider that Paul is essentially replacing a guy like Boedker in the lineup.

The sooner Boedker is fired into the sun on a rocket taken off this roster, the better. Dude offers LITERALLY nothing at this point in his career.

Nick Paul can at least bang up and down the ice and offer a bit of forechecking along with some secondary offensive contributions, and can hold his own defensively. Nothing that will wow you out of your socks, but at least he looks like he can contribute SOMETHING to an NHL team, however limited it might be.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Jury's still out on all these players. Few good games don't mean much, though I'm willing to give Nilsson a lot of props for vastly outplaying the rest of his teammates during his last three starts.

That is fine, but I did not mean to infer that those players are a lock to have success with this team but rather I was specifically implying that the smaller trades at this point have yielded better and more immediate results than the big trades.

Long term, you obviously hope that players like Brannstrom, Balcers, Abramov and Thomson (CBJ pick) and whoever we pick with the San Jose pick will have success here but those come with high expectations based on who they were traded for.

I am actually kind of hoping Dorion sticks to making small trades and decides to retire from making another big trade at this point.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
I love how Chabot is making things happen. Even that play he made in last game vs Dallas for a late goal.

And, OH BOY! That pass to Duclair for an empty net. That was shades of Karlsson to Brassard against Boston (in the playoffs)

Chabot is just heating up!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Have a vid?

I missed most of the game as I had mens league lats night

Unfortunately I don't but it was exactly as @Alf Silfversson described in post 337. Maybe Sens Prospects will have it up soon enough. It was an EK style play, but one where showed his confidence and belief to pull that move off. Mantha is huge

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I love how Chabot is making things happen. Even that play he made in last game vs Dallas for a late goal.

And, OH BOY! That pass to Duclair for an empty net. That was shades of Karlsson to Brassard against Boston (in the playoffs)

Chabot is just heating up!
True, but man oh man, he is making some glaringly bad plays too. Once he cleans all that up he will be one of the best. I have a feeling he may be at a crossroads as far as playing style. Does he continue down the Karlsson mould of making wow plays , good and bad, or does he cut that shit out and become a Pietrangelo/Giordano and just be good everywhere, but not as spectacular

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Same as most people posted, but man I’m really enjoying our PK.

We’re so aggressive, and already have three shorties to start the season, and get at least one shorthanded breakaway, and a couple two on ones per game.

Sure the numbers may say 80% or so, but with this team, that’s pretty great.

We know what to expect from JPG, but Tierney has been a great PKer and Duclair has been a revelation in my opinion, it’s like Smith is half training and half rewarding him for his 200 foot game at the same time.

Brown and Paul were really good tonight, Brown put in a ‘have another look’ performance, and Paul was an absolute force for the first time ever! I that is who he can be, then he’s a keeper as well. The new kid had some solid plays, and a sweet first game in limited minutes.

Take em when we get em, but it feels nice regardless.
Well said. I enjoy the tank but it’s nice seeing this team put together a nice game once and a while. They did it against Tampa and now against Detroit. We are far from a playoff team. But wins like this make me optimistic for the future

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well said. I enjoy the tank but it’s nice seeing this team put together a nice game once and a while. They did it against Tampa and now against Detroit. We are far from a playoff team. But wins like this make me optimistic for the future

Agreed, especially when we had a solid night from some of the kids that’s e all want to see do well at long last.

C Brown has been really good for us, and Z was solid yet again. I think we have a nice team for the kids to grow up in.

Personally I see Ennis, Boedker, and Hainsey as the main two that we can move out this season, and Andy will likely retire at the end of it.

At this point I’d keep JPG as he’s been getting better and better, and he wants to be here and loves the team. Tierney I’m torn on as he’s been really good to start the season, and is an awesome PKer, but his value could net us a solid return if he’s not in the long term plans.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That is fine, but I did not mean to infer that those players are a lock to have success with this team but rather I was specifically implying that the smaller trades at this point have yielded better and more immediate results than the big trades.

Long term, you obviously hope that players like Brannstrom, Balcers, Abramov and Thomson (CBJ pick) and whoever we pick with the San Jose pick will have success here but those come with high expectations based on who they were traded for.

I am actually kind of hoping Dorion sticks to making small trades and decides to retire from making another big trade at this point.

Retire yes, trade no. :)

Reactions: Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Agreed, especially when we had a solid night from some of the kids that’s e all want to see do well at long last.

C Brown has been really good for us, and Z was solid yet again. I think we have a nice team for the kids to grow up in.

Personally I see Ennis, Boedker, and Hainsey as the main two that we can move out this season, and Andy will likely retire at the end of it.

At this point I’d keep JPG as he’s been getting better and better, and he wants to be here and loves the team. Tierney I’m torn on as he’s been really good to start the season, and is an awesome PKer, but his value could net us a solid return if he’s not in the long term plans.

I think Pageau as a UFA will be too expensive and not worth the cost whereas Tierney as a RFA might be worth the cost to retain.

Reactions: Alex1234

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
True, but man oh man, he is making some glaringly bad plays too. Once he cleans all that up he will be one of the best. I have a feeling he may be at a crossroads as far as playing style. Does he continue down the Karlsson mould of making wow plays , good and bad, or does he cut that **** out and become a Pietrangelo/Giordano and just be good everywhere, but not as spectacular

Chabot needs to improve his defensive game, cut-out the high risk offensive moves, and pick his spots for offensive attack. That will come with more experience in the NHL. WE are fortunate to have a player like him.

Reactions: aragorn

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
That Pageau short handed goal is reminiscent of his OT winner against the Rangers.

The Duclair goal and pass by Chabot is reminiscent of the Karlsson infamous pass to Brassard against the Bruins

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I think Pageau as a UFA will be too expensive and not worth the cost whereas Tierney as a RFA might be worth the cost to retain.

Fair enough. I think he might be a case of the rest of the league doesn’t appreciate him as much as we do, and it really sounds like he wants to embrace a leadership role in the team, and stay in his home town area.

Buuut we’ve heard players say all the right things before. I personally wouldn’t have a problem keeping all of our quality players until they are forced off the roster by better players, instead of making holes for unready or undeserving young players, or just worse players in general.

I would like to see the end of making the roster worse for futures at this point.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Alternatively, Pageau as an Ottawa kid drafted by the team will be more reluctant to leave and might be persuaded to take a hometown discount to see things through, while Tierney, a guy on his 2nd team, might try to get whatever he's worth.

I think we shop them both and trade the one that draws more interest. Either one would make a really good 3rd line center for the next 3-5 years, so whichever one returns the better package is the one I'd trade assuming both are willing to re-sign for a similar cost deal.

My preference between the two is Pageau, but Tierney has some advantages to him. I'd be happy either way.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Fair enough. I think he might be a case of the rest of the league doesn’t appreciate him as much as we do, and it really sounds like he wants to embrace a leadership role in the team, and stay in his home town area.

Buuut we’ve heard players say all the right things before. I personally wouldn’t have a problem keeping all of our quality players until they are forced off the roster by better players, instead of making holes for unready or undeserving young players, or just worse players in general.

I would like to see the end of making the roster worse for futures at this point.

I want to see the "build" part now after witnessing the "destruction" part. We need to "tank" to get higher end talent to "build" the roster of the future. We do not have the high end parts today.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Alternatively, Pageau as an Ottawa kid drafted by the team will be more reluctant to leave and might be persuaded to take a hometown discount to see things through, while Tierney, a guy on his 2nd team, might try to get whatever he's worth.

I think we shop them both and trade the one that draws more interest. Either one would make a really good 3rd line center for the next 3-5 years, so whichever one returns the better package is the one I'd trade assuming both are willing to re-sign for a similar cost deal.

My preference between the two is Pageau, but Tierney has some advantages to him. I'd be happy either way.

Pageau might be affordable, given that he is 3rd line material and the team has few high priced young talents; however, I suspect that he will want to maximize his earnings because NHL careers are short rather than take less salary to stay on a losing home town team without any reasonable probability of competing for the SC as a "contender" in the nest 5 years.

I would agree to trade both of them if the offer was right (1st round draft pick or top prospect) that would make the team better in the longer term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad