Post-Game Talk: Game 9 | Red Wings vs Senators | Battle of the Worst Edition | Wed Oct. 23rd, 7:30PM | SN360, SN1

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah they are a good duo together they should be playing against the oppositions top lines. Pauls size and physicality helps them cycle and get offensive zone time.
He's been a beast on the cycle since callups last year.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
For those harping on Brannstrom and small players in general, Mantha got thoroughly owned by Brannstrom and Pageau tonight.

The play where EB held off Mantha with one hand and dished the puck to safety with the other hand was pure gold. This kid is going to be a fantastic 2-way defenseman.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- Paul had probably the best game I have ever seen him play in an Ottawa uniform.

- Boro had a strong night blocking shots & moving guys from in front of his own net.

- Ottawa looks like a different team with L. Brown, Paul & Tkachuk on the ice winning board battles, causing havoc in front of the net, played well defensively & they don't get knocked off the puck easily & all had numerous chances in front of the opposition net.

Reactions: Bileur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
For those harping on Brannstrom and small players in general, Mantha got thoroughly owned by Brannstrom and Pageau tonight.

The play where EB held off Mantha with one hand and dished the puck to safety with the other hand was pure gold. This kid is going to be a fantastic 2-way defenseman.
Well that's not what I saw, on his very first shift he lost the puck & knocked down & it happened throughout the night. On one play he lost the puck or gave it away to a player streaking in on net for a scoring chance, I don't get the fascination with this player, he doesn't look NHL ready to me.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Well that's not what I saw, on his very first shift he lost the puck & knocked down & it happened throughout the night. On one play he lost the puck or gave it away to a player streaking in on net for a scoring chance, I don't get the fascination with this player, he doesn't look NHL ready to me.

So you didn't see Mantha come into the zone 1-on-1 against Brannstrom (just 20 years old) and have Brannstrom hold him off with one arm and make a pass to his teammate with the other?

Brannstrom, as a 20 year old rookie D definitely had rough spots this game. Just like a young Karlsson, a young Lidstrom, a young Rielly, a young Doughty, a young Josi, a young Giordano, etc. etc, etc,.

The kid is going to take his lumps but he showed that he can handle a 6'5 scorer 1-on-1 beautifully as a kid who isn't fully developed. Just like the guys above did. He's remarkably strong on the puck for a scrawny 20 year old. He's going to be outstanding and has been our 2-4 best defenseman so far this year.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
- Paul had probably the best game I have ever seen him play in an Ottawa uniform.

- Boro had a strong night blocking shots & moving guys from in front of his own net.

- Ottawa looks like a different team with L. Brown, Paul & Tkachuk on the ice winning board battles, causing havoc in front of the net, played well defensively & they don't get knocked off the puck easily & all had numerous chances in front of the opposition net.

Paul was great tonight.

If he can keep it up he'll be a decent 3rd line player in the NHL and a rich man.

I also like him, if he's playing like that, in our bottom six. He has some skill and if he plays with some purpose like he did tonight he'll be a nice player to have. He hasn't done that enough but maybe he feels this is his last chance. It probably is. Hopefully he runs with it.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Paul was great tonight.

If he can keep it up he'll be a decent 3rd line player in the NHL and a rich man.

I also like him, if he's playing like that, in our bottom six. He has some skill and if he plays with some purpose like he did tonight he'll be a nice player to have. He hasn't done that enough but maybe he feels this is his last chance. It probably is. Hopefully he runs with it.

Not sure I see him as a third liner, but I’d love to be proven wrong. Maybe a 4th liner. Still like to see more from him. How much offence can we get from him? That’s what I’m curious about. No question he can do a lot of the dirty work in the corners, but I’m not sure what to expect in terms of point totals.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Paul could be a very good 3rd liner IMO. He doesn't have high end skill or agility, but he has a cannon, can make plays, plays hard, good defensively, can play both wing/center and he can skate. That's the making of a nice 3rd line player.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It'll help paul that he's got ludicrous chemistry in the ahl with brown and batherson. Smith would be silly not to reunite that line when batherson earns his way back up.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Outside of the obvious long-term keepers (Chabot, Tkachuk, White, Brannstrom, Wolanin), Connor Brown, Pageau, Namestnikov, Zaitsev and maybe even Duclair could be players to have around for a few years 3-6 years)

Tkachuk-??????-??????
??????-??????-??????
Duclair-White-Namestnikov
Paul-Pageau-Brown

Chabot-???????
Brannstrom-Zaistev
Wolanin-??????
???????

Nilsson
??????

Some nights Tierney shows that he should be part of the solution but I maintain that the Sens have to sell high on him

Batherson, Brown, Formenton, Norris, Thomson, JBD, Jaros, Lajoie, The goalies, etc; let’s see how they develop and which spots they could fill

The future is slowly shaping up. Good thing we don’t have a 1st line this year (well considering the direction ownership wanted), we need a killer draft and we’ll be set.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Chabot
Brannstrom
Wolanin
Thomson
Bernard Docker
Jaros

That’s what I hope the defence looks like in a few years. I don’t care who plays with who, but those are the 6 guys I’m hopeful can make up our blue line one day.

We’ll see. I also had high hopes for Cowen and Ceci to be our second pair one day, and that didn’t work out as I had hoped.

Reactions: Slack and Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad