GDT: Game #9 Preds @ Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I hope it turns out to be a good thing for the Blues to get their ***** kicked. I give credit to Nashville. They were ready to play, and the Blues, frankly, didn't look like they wanted to be on the ice.

But maybe now we'll see some more consistent effort...and some return to the type of checking and puck-movement we came to enjoy so much last season. Maybe Perron will quit thinking he can stick-handle his way to paradise, and make a quick and simple pass when that's the best play. Maybe Shattenkirk, Oshie, Stewart, Backes and others will start putting the puck deep into the corner instead of getting cutesy around the Blue Line when there isn't space to make a different play. Maybe the Blues' goalies will make a game-changing save.

I expect to see a motivated, focused team on Thursday. If Hitchcock can't get their full attention now, I don't think this is the team I thought it was.

I'm fine with some ups and downs. I'm not over-reacting. I also think Nashville is still a solid playoff team, and a more formidable foe than Detroit (for example) when the season's all said and done. Its still going to take a couple weeks to find consistency. But I hope the Blues were embarrassed Tuesday night.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Petro seems to be jumping up in the play way too much this season and he's getting repeatedly burned defensively. You can tell he's got the IQ to jump up and become a playmaker or shooter, and it's like he can't resist the temptation because it's fun to score and it doesn't hurt that he's in a contract year starting at PPG. If he puts up a PPG he is gonna get PAA-AID.

Maybe it's by design – he's been given more free reign to jump up in the play and the forwards are tasked with rotating back by design. This might almost be understandable, because when he does step up and intercept a pass it often creates a sudden scoring chance the other way because he's good enough to make the right play. If it's by design then they haven't figured out the kinks yet because it's frequently led to odd-man rushes and scoring chances against.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
But I was crazy for thinking he was trying to make that next step in his development in a contract year...Nice to see someone else put some thought into Petro's struggles.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I think a few things are happening to Petro.

1st - He is being well targeted by other teams. Forecheckers are coming at him from the front and from behind simultaneously. Hard to make decisions when you can't see a player behind you. This problem is expedited by our forwards heading up ice too soon. Everyone knows Petro can handle himself and that he has an amazing break out pass (Prongeresque), so they abandon their positions early (at least I assume that is why they are doing it). He is getting little support in the corners.

2nd - He is trying to do too much offensively. P9s covered this.

3rd - The odd man breaks are also happening because both Petro and his partner are being too aggressive at the offensive blueline. One or both need to retreat earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad