Pre-Game Talk: Game 9 - Pens vs. Caps: Prepare for the Punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
They didn't do line rushes today, but that's what they've been the last couple of practices.

Thanks. It's tough to figure out what they are going to do once Fehr is back. I guess Plots sits, but do they really want to sit one of their only guys with size and physicality (especially in MJ's fire the pucks in traffic plan)? They can't sit Sprong, Cullen has been a good role player, and Bennett (when healthy) has been one of their best forwards. I suppose Perron could sit, but I can't see JR being too happy about his 2015 1st round pick turning into a scratched player (not that Perron doesn't deserve criticism).

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Any updates on lines?

I'm assuming:

Dupuis-Crosby-Hornqvist
Perron-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz-Bonino-Sprong
Plots-Cullen-Bennett

Or maybe Bennett and Sprong flip flopped.

I don't think they did any line rushes so it's probably the lines you posted that came from yesterday's practice.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Thanks. It's tough to figure out what they are going to do once Fehr is back. I guess Plots sits, but do they really want to sit one of their only guys with size and physicality (especially in MJ's fire the pucks in traffic plan)? They can't sit Sprong, Cullen has been a good role player, and Bennett (when healthy) has been one of their best forwards. I suppose Perron could sit, but I can't see JR being too happy about his 2015 1st round pick turning into a scratched player (not that Perron doesn't deserve criticism).

There's only one real solution to this problem, and it's one they won't ever even consider.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

Personally, I'm expecting a trade to happen any day now.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think they make a trade sooner than later. Plenty of teams struggling. Perron on the 2nd line despite MJ preferring Kunitz screams management pushing that. I suspect Fehr slots in on 2nd line LW. Top 6 needs another big body who isn't hot garbage defensively.

Penguinzilla*

I still can't believe Kuznetsov went 26th overall. I almost pooed myself when I saw him at the WJC. Crazy.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It will be interesting to see who is traded. The coaching staff likely wants to can Perron, but I could see JR wanting to move Kunitz. It'll probably be Perron, but you never know.

If I were them I wouldn't make a trade yet though. Play Clendening. Call up Pouliot if you think he's ready. Figure out where Fehr and Bonino fit best. See if Bennett can stay healthy for more than a week. Reassess at that point and make a move.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
I'm fully expecting a massive blowout where Ovie cements the arguments for Sid haters. 5 points for Ovie with at least 4 or 5 hits. One of them sending Beau Bennett into the Sun.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Think you have to leave DP down there til closer to Christmas and let him learn better habits. They need a guy who can play in our top 4 sooner than later. Our transition game blows.

MrBurghundy

Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
It will be interesting to see who is traded. The coaching staff likely wants to can Perron, but I could see JR wanting to move Kunitz. It'll probably be Perron, but you never know.

If I were them I wouldn't make a trade yet though. Play Clendening. Call up Pouliot if you think he's ready. Figure out where Fehr and Bonino fit best. See if Bennett can stay healthy for more than a week. Reassess at that point and make a move.

If anything, just dump Kunitz for whatever you can get.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I think this is low scoring. Hopefully the stars score though.

Atren

Jun 29, 2011
Europe
I still can't believe Kuznetsov went 26th overall. I almost pooed myself when I saw him at the WJC. Crazy.

It was not about skill, instead it was about when if ever will he come to NHL from what I have read on topic?

As for game itself, despite problems I doubt Caps will underestimate them so while hope for best odds are certainly on Caps side.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
MJ says Bennett will be moving up and down the line up, which likely means he'll just be trading places with Sprong. Really hoping he at some point at least tries Bennett (or Sprong) on lines 1 or 2. If one of Sprong or Hornqvist learned to play LW I think our winger problem is pretty much solved, and the inevitable Perron trade is more palatable.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'm fully expecting a massive blowout where Ovie cements the arguments for Sid haters. 5 points for Ovie with at least 4 or 5 hits. One of them sending Beau Bennett into the Sun.

Yeah if there were any reasons to Ovie to get pumped up for a game and to come out flying...

Sid on the other hand...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Think you have to leave DP down there til closer to Christmas and let him learn better habits. They need a guy who can play in our top 4 sooner than later. Our transition game blows.

Gee if they only had a guy sitting in the press box that could help that.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
mj's idea of moving up and down the lineup, based on his open audition for 1lw, probably means bennett will play 95% of his shifts on the 4th and a handful on the third

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Yeah if there were any reasons to Ovie to get pumped up for a game and to come out flying...

Sid on the other hand...

I think we have to consider the fact that the real Sid has been kidnapped and been replaced with a cyborg. And the cyborg is running out of battery

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015

"Kuznetzov" is also the name of a Russian rocket engine manufacturer. Calling him the Russian Rocket would be entirely appropriate (not saying that anyone does).

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He's a fine 6/7. Should be getting games over Scuds. But he's not solving our need higher up in the lineup.

Likely true, but Dumo-Cole COULD be a 2nd pairing with Maatta-Letang as a top pair. Then you create your bottom pair with some combo of Clendening, Lovejoy, Pouliot.

There are options in house to make a decent, playoff caliber defense. I'm not saying they won't need an upgrade, but why would you trade for a need when you don't know exactly what that need is yet?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I think they make a trade sooner than later. Plenty of teams struggling. Perron on the 2nd line despite MJ preferring Kunitz screams management pushing that. I suspect Fehr slots in on 2nd line LW. Top 6 needs another big body who isn't hot garbage defensively.

To defend Johnston for just a second, what moves is he allowed to make and actually get credit for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad