Post-Game Talk: Game 9: Leafs vs Blackhawks | Kostka's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto
Anybody find it hilarious how ex leaf players always score their first goal of the season against us? Or rookies in there first Nhl game score on us or if a player is in a slump and they face the leafs they break out against us? It's funny.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not to use as a crutch, but Clarkson and the underrated Kule are exactly what's missing from the top nine right now, straight ahead big bodies to open up some room and create some havoc with the opposition D. The skill guys can't get there now nobody's making the other teams pay, forechecking tends to be infectious and the only guys I see do anything are Lupul and Kadri.

I agree with that, doesn't help though that Bozak doesn't make anything happen.

Disgruntled Observer*

Thank GOODNESS the leafs lost these past two games.

Leaf fans really needed these last two losses to get their expectations in order.

So listen... yes... after 8 HUMILIATING seasons, the leafs are no longer the laughing stock of the entire world.
That's a good thing, and we should be happy about that.

But the leafs ride hot goaltending to start the season, and then I have to see psychotic posts about the leafs being legitimate cup contenders.
IT'S JUST SO EMBARRASSING!!!!

Look... we're one of the youngest teams in the leauge and we're still getting better. Let's be happy about that.
But let's not be stupid about our hot start.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
i have to wonder if 1/2 of it -

we don't have the personnel that makes us tough.
we don't have the personnel that goes to the net.
we don't have the personnel that does the board play.
we don't have the personnel that's blocking shots.

we don't even have that look of "don't worry boys! we're gonna win this!" right now.

that's what breaking my heart the most. Where's my team?
I don't care if we usually get outshot. I don't care if we're put possessed, but for the love of God, boys at least - show up. waking up at the 13 minute mark of the third period is not good enough.

I'll say this first and foremost because I don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to say that having our missing regulars return is what will make this team elite or anything. However, everything that the team has been lacking to start the season, is everything that (in theory) our missing regulars are supposed to provide. We're missing Clarkson, Kulemin, Fraser and McLaren - those players mean we're lacking size, speed, puck possession, blocked shots, physicality, grittiness.

Despite how awful they played, that game was still salvageable on the scoreboard but they waited too late to do anything about it. Bernier's first two goals against weren't all that great but that was hardly the problem. He faced 40 shots and A LOT of them were high quality shots that he turned away and allowed his team to stay in the game. Every loss this season has come with a trend - this team has lost by committee. Anyone wanting to point fingers are just lamely looking for scapegoats. You can't expect to win when only a handful of players are showing up to play hard at the first drop of the puck. I believe this team is capable but they're relying on bad habits to see them through because they've been able to get away with it too often.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
The signs are there, but they seemed to buy into him during pre-season and early games so I very much doubt it. I think the whole team is just way too conscious about how bad they are playing to just relax and act natural, while at the same time our record makes them not desperate enough to bully through the slump.

I do hope Carlyle makes some changes for the next game though, just to get people out of bad habits.

The 1st change should be getting Bozak off that top line and put either kadri or bolland up there...MAN, this team is at an AHL level down the middle. :(

leafstilldeath*

Kessel needs to sit out a game.

As much as I dislike Ron Wilson, he never preached accountability but did hold players accountable. I remember Wilson benching Kessel when Phil's Thrill was missing. I would give wilson that and a few :handclap::handclap::handclap: for that

Carlyle on the other hand as one of the posters has already pointed out -> hypocrisy

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
Horrible. horrible effort by the whole team except a few players. Can't blame Bernier, they were getting quality chances from the slot, not weak shots from the point.

I'm getting tired of us stinking it for the first two periods (especially the second) and then finally in the 3rd playing decently. Bozak is a good guy but now I just can't defend him. He's just nothing close to a number 1c. He's a great 3rd line center and probably an ok 2nd line center but it boggles my mind how he leads the team in ice time on most nights.

Also, whats with the no fighting the whole season? When was our last fight? Against Nashville, I think? We used to have a fight every game and put fear into the opposing team and get our boys going. What's the point of having Orr if he can't intimidate the other team? I hope we can go back to being bullies like last season.

I hate to say it but we've been getting lucky throughout the season. We're very talented but that talent won't shine if we play with no emotion and are lazy until the third period. We can only rely on our goalies so much.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Okay, that's fair, most of the things you said they won't help with. But I think they can fix some things. Defense from Kulemin and Fraser, toughness also needs to be inserted back into our lineup and Clarkson and Fraser will do that. I also feel that Kulemin's and Clarkson's work along the boards will help with possession. They won't fix everything, but they will help.

I feel like this teem is so disorganized and lacking in structure that no individual contributions are going to turn things around. We could insert Crosby onto the first line and we'd just be a mess that scored more.

The score could have easily been 6-1 or 7-1 if not for some missed wide-open nets and lucky saves, but there will always be a strong contingent of homers trying to put positive spin on it. One guy is even telling himself the leafs lost on purpose :laugh:

I predict the popular ones for tonight will be:

-blame the goalie, pretend the team played well otherwise
-blame the injuries, pretend this team is a couple grinders and a #6 defenseman away from being really good
-pick one scapegoat on defense, probably Ranger or Gunnarsson

Because the usual blame-the-refs, kept-em-to-the-outside and the-stats-were-misleading ones don't apply tonight.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
whats wrong with everyone, we were severely outplayed in every aspect and lost, nothing to complain about here...really who didn't see this coming

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I'll say this first and foremost because I don't want anyone to think that I'm trying to say that having our missing regulars return is what will make this team elite or anything. However, everything that the team has been lacking to start the season, is everything that (in theory) our missing regulars are supposed to provide. We're missing Clarkson, Kulemin, Fraser and McLaren - those players mean we're lacking size, speed, puck possession, blocked shots, physicality, grittiness.

Despite how awful they played, that game was still salvageable on the scoreboard but they waited too late to do anything about it. Bernier's first two goals against weren't all that great but that was hardly the problem. He faced 40 shots and A LOT of them were high quality shots that he turned away and allowed his team to stay in the game. Every loss this season has come with a trend - this team has lost by committee. Anyone wanting to point fingers are just lamely looking for scapegoats. You can't expect to win when only a handful of players are showing up to play hard at the first drop of the puck. I believe this team is capable but they're relying on bad habits to see them through because they've been able to get away with it too often.
I understand and realize we are missing some key players. Without a doubt, one of the most underrated key player would be hands down Kulemin. However a good team takes the hit and move forward. A great team takes the hit and wins it, no matter the consequences. This what seperates one from another, atm we aren't EITHER which is damn depressing. Usually one steps up and takes the lead, and especially get our key guys to get up there however...I've not seen anyone really take charge with it.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I never suggested he be traded. I'm glad he's on the team but he has just been given a huge contract, I'd like to see some effort on his part. Did you even watch him tonight? He did nothing. He was invisible.

I saw him make a nice defensive play and stop Toews from having a breakaway

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Anybody find it hilarious how ex leaf players always score their first goal of the season against us? Or rookies in there first Nhl game score on us or if a player is in a slump and they face the leafs they break out against us? It's funny.

Bickell - Bowmanville
Kostka - Ajax
Pirri - Toronto

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Yeah he's clearly talking about the defence. The defence are absolutely atrocious

Dion I thought had a great game, he was steady for us all night long, ranger wasn't as great but he's slowly getting better as the game goes on it seems. Rielly as well...other wise..I don't know it wasn't just our defensemen it was just our entire team defense that was just atrocious IMO.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
At least it wasn't a blow out all thanks to Bernier otherwise it would have been far more embarrassing loss like 6-1 or something. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce