Post-Game Talk: Game 9: Leafs vs Blackhawks | Kostka's Revenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Not true at all. And history has proven me right many, many times. Teams lose by purpose and SAVE ENERGY AND PLAYERS AND EVEN GOALIES. Even personel in other jobs for the team. Everyting is saved and taken care of cause of the long, long 82 game regular season. 82 games cannot be won, so intelligent coaches save the team and its players by not showing up every night. That's the way to win stanley cups, by losing the right games. Picking those few games to lose. It's fun. Winning that is. In the end.

Are you ****ing kidding me?

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Not true at all. And history has proven me right many, many times. Teams lose by purpose and SAVE ENERGY AND PLAYERS AND EVEN GOALIES. Even personel in other jobs for the team. Everyting is saved and taken care of cause of the long, long 82 game regular season. 82 games cannot be won, so intelligent coaches save the team and its players by not showing up every night. That's the way to win stanley cups, by losing the right games. Picking those few games to lose. It's fun. Winning that is. In the end.

Right. The Leafs lost on purpose...strategically.

Playing the same way they have all season, so I suppose they've just been winning by accident :laugh:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The Leafs 'looked' a lot better last season than they have so far this season and I really don't know if missing experienced players has anything to do with but I sure as hell hope that's what it is.

i have to wonder if 1/2 of it -

we don't have the personnel that makes us tough.
we don't have the personnel that goes to the net.
we don't have the personnel that does the board play.
we don't have the personnel that's blocking shots.

we don't even have that look of "don't worry boys! we're gonna win this!" right now.

that's what breaking my heart the most. Where's my team?
I don't care if we usually get outshot. I don't care if we're put possessed, but for the love of God, boys at least - show up. waking up at the 13 minute mark of the third period is not good enough.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I just don't get it. They shot more in the third period than the first and second combined. Didn't hit 10 until the third period.

I don't mind getting outshot. But that's just stupid levels of outshot.

Kessel needs to give a damn or get the Kadri treatment and get dropped to the third line.

Kessel needs to sit out a game.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I'll agree but isnt time to say that Gardiner can't play a lick of defense and the offensive upside is totally missing? Where is the great puck moving, and passing that Rielly has already surpassed him at?

Gardiner wasn't great tonight but none of the Leafs D beside Phaneuf or Rielly were good.

I don't think it's the case of Gardiner being bad...it's just that Morgan Rielly is just a much better player than Gardiner and Rielly hasn't even opened his bag of tricks yet.

When he gains the confidence of his coach and cracks the roster full time...I expect to see a Rielly that is even more confident, takes calculative risks and wins us games.

Rielly is going to be our best defenseman by the time his ELC is over. No doubt about it.

I can't believe how bad the Leafs play as a unit.

I can't see the Leafs making the playoffs if they continue to play like this...it's just inconceivable.

We have to work so hard to get a shot on net and a quality chance...it almost feels like a miracle and yet the teams we face continue to get great chances on net almost every other shift. It just sucks watching that.

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
Not happy with Kessel at all so far this season. Watching him tonight was a joke, 8M for this guy???? He hangs back and coasts around in the defensive zone waiting for an outlet pass... If he gets one he'll have the puck stripped off his stick. Not looking like an 8M dollar player to me.

olivertwist*

how is anyone blaming bernier when we got outshot 40-20

unless he put on an absoulte clinic we werent winning this

Radiohead

Street Spirit
Sep 6, 2008

:laugh:

Thanks for making my night better.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I can't see the Leafs making the playoffs if they continue to play like this...it's just inconceivable.

We have to work so hard to get a shot on net and a quality chance...it almost feels like a miracle and yet the teams we face continue to get great chances on net almost every other shift. It just sucks watching that.

like i said in the GDT thread...

I can't even come up with a Daisy-ism right now. it's just...not good. (so you know it's bad, when...).

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
This is typical Toronto Maple Laffs hockey. Mike Kostka scored and it was the GWG. You cannot make this stuff up folks. Tyler Bozak sucks, Kessel needs an oxygen tank after every shift and Carlyle played Colton Orr down 2 with 6:30 left. What a disaster.

olivertwist*

Not happy with Kessel at all so far this season. Watching him tonight was a joke, 8M for this guy???? He hangs back and coasts around in the defensive zone waiting for an outlet pass... If he gets one he'll have the puck stripped off his stick. Not looking like an 8M dollar player to me.

8 points in 9 games

oh my god trade him!

jesus christ when they won and he gave up the empty net goal for raymond everyone was saying how hes so unselfish and there were threads about how he plays a 200 foot game etc then they lose and he has a medicore game and he sucks

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
8 points in 9 games

oh my god trade him!

jesus christ when they won and he gave up the empty net goal for raymond everyone was saying how hes so unselfish and there were threads about how he plays a 200 foot game etc then they lose and he has a medicore game and he sucks

Yet a guy like Tyler Bozak gets his own "appreciation thread" lol.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Everyone is saying Kessel invisible. Yet, 5 points in last 5 games.
If every one of our players was this invisible, I'd be happy.

Who cares about 5 points in 5 games?

Did he not look terrible against Carolina? Did he not look terrible tonight?

The only points that matter are the points that the Leafs have and they didn't get 2 points against Carolina or Chicago.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I'll agree but isnt time to say that Gardiner can't play a lick of defense and the offensive upside is totally missing? Where is the great puck moving, and passing that Rielly has already surpassed him at?

Gardiner has regressed this year, his only good year was his rookie year. When I think back was it low expectations that he surprised us? Or was he really that good. Maybe a combination of both, but as we get deeper in the season, and Jake doesn't progress. He will likely have to be moved. His value will drop if we have a 24 year old next year that has taken 3 years to figure it out after his best season was his rookie year. Sound familiar, yes Luke Schenn.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
This is typical Toronto Maple Laffs hockey. Mike Kostka scored and it was the GWG. You cannot make this stuff up folks. Tyler Bozak sucks, Kessel needs an oxygen tank after every shift and Carlyle played Colton Orr down 2 with 6:30 left. What a disaster.

Kostka's biggest weakness in the o-zone last year was that he was too slow when he was pressured. When he got the puck on his stick tonight, he could have sharpened his skates and then made a play, there was so much open ice everywhere.

hockeystick89

Oct 30, 2009
Everyone is saying Kessel invisible. Yet, 5 points in last 5 games.
If every one of our players was this invisible, I'd be happy.

LOL if ever there was a game that I couldn't imagine anyone making one of these posts, it would be this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad