Game 9: Kings vs. Predators Shutout Loss

kingsfansince1967

Oct 23, 2006
Montreal
At this point, I can't trust Bernier anymore. He's got nothing to play for as long as he's a King. Quick now has a long-term contract so obviously, Bernier knows there isn't gonna be any competition between him and Quick. Trade him already.

Bernier hasn't said his last word. It appears more than a necessity that he has to be a starter. A certain rivalry between Quick and him has to be implemented. Bernier has a contract that expires at the end of this year. He has many reasons to be at his best.

bobafettish*

this is gonna be a long short season.

oh and when is the trade deadline?

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Do we really think Toffoli is going to save the day? He's going to be just like any other rookie. With a lot of ups, but a lot more downs. Lets be reality about this for a second.

I don't mind seeing him play a game or whatever.. but we shouldn't expect anything from him just yet.

Who's expecting him to be a savior? I'm of the opinion that this team needs a shake-up because they all look like they are going through the motions out there. Honestly, a guy who makes a mistake because he's trying too hard would be an improvement over a lot of the effort some of these guys are showing. Also, I'm not in favor of "blowing it up" or anything ridiculous like that. The only players I would actively be shopping are Penner (should happen) and Stoll (won't happen) because I never wanted those guys back to begin with. At this point though, we can't keep trotting out the same line-up (with the exception of cycling guys through the second line left wing spot) because we are almost a fifth of the way through the season and we look lifeless.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
All of those things you have said are true but let me ask you this, does tonight, our 9th game of the season mean that we are now suddenly the same as the Canes when they won the cup? Are we the ducks? Are the Lightning?

No, we are the team that just returned its entire roster after winning the cup. The same guys, the same coaches and everyone else except Kompon.

We are missing two huge key factors to our success and asking our rarely played 7th dman and a pure rookie to fill in for them. Their absence also causes our forwards to try and help cover for their loss (which is obvious when watching them play but the results sure don't seem to show for it) and our remaining D to try and do too much as well.

My point is this game sucks and we aren't seeing what we want but it isn't the end of the world nor are we suddenly going to be another one hit wonder simply because a, others have been and b, we aren't playing as well as we did for the last third of last season and through our cup run.

Its going to be fine. We will get healthy. We will adjust. We will be fine. These things, while difficult to go through as a team and as fans are where character are built and that is what I see happening.

It isn't the end of the world, its just a hill. We can climb it and win the cup again. One game doesn't undue anything, nor do ten.

I mean can't we also go on an 8 game winning streak once we get healthy? Can't we make a couple of adjustments and be right where we want to be? I mean, we just won the cup and now I am supposed to believe that we are going to be the worst team in the league again because we aren't having a perfect start?

Take a look at the records of other teams that have won the cup since the lock out that have won it more than once (look at the wings, they came back after winning a cup and had a terrible start and have won the cup again) or have been right there among the elite teams competing for it.

We are young and talented and my money is on our turning it on and getting back there more than failing. That is my point.

Some problems here TG.

1. 9 Games is alot in this lockout shortened season. The Kings have dug themselves a massive hole here with their play so far.

2. Time to bury last year, the Kings had a magical run, but that team is nowhere to be found, and this idea that a switch will be flipped is a little ridiculous.

3. Bringing everyone back was not a good thing. For one, Penner and Stoll are barely NHL players at this point, a total waste of over $6 million this year, and $6 more for Stoll the next two years. And in addition there doesn't seem to be very much hunger anywhere. Where is the Dwight King from last year? It just seems everyone is way to comfortable going through the motions.

4. The problems on the ice, well you mention injuries on the back end and that is valid until you consider the Kings are 30th in goals. It's the same problem it's been in the past, the Kings are built on strength down the middle and they are getting zilch from their centers. Kopitar is playing poorly, probably still not 100% recovered from the injury, but that is an excuse, he looks invisible many nights. The Kings second line has done nothing 5 on 5, Mike Richards going forward has to be looked at as being a really good 3rd line center, and whether the answer is slotting Carter over and getting a winger or trading for a center, they can't keep getting nothing from that spot, especially since it's a given they will get nothing from #28 and the 3rd line.

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
Who's expecting him to be a savior? I'm of the opinion that this team needs a shake-up because they all look like they are going through the motions. Honestly, a guy who makes a mistake because he's trying hard would be an improvement over a lot of the effort some of these guys are showing. Also, I'm not in favor of "blowing it up" or anything ridiculous like that. The only players I would actively be shopping are Penner (should happen) and Stoll (won't happen) because I never wanted those guys back to begin with. At this point though, we can't keep trotting out the same line-up (with the exception of cycling guys through the second line left wing spot) because we are almost a fifth of the way through the season and we look lifeless.

I was never pointing you out. Just anybody who expects anything from Toffoli right now or whenever he decides to join the Kings. I do disagree with him putting him on the first line though. That's a lot of responsibility for a kid. Just put him on the third line with Stoll and move him up as he gets more comfortable. I remember the Kings did that with King and it didn't work out at all. Not that King and Toffoli are the same kind of player.. they aren't. But, I think you understand what I'm saying.

I wouldn't mind seeing Penner or Stoll traded. Heck.. even Gagne. But, I don't see them leaving anytime soon until trade deadline. (I wouldn't mind be wrong about that)

I don't blame Dean for bringing the whole team back. I would have done the same, but there comes a time when you end that experiment because it's obviously not working anymore and the Kings don't have time to waste.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I was never pointing you out. Just anybody who expects anything from Toffoli right now or whenever he decides to join the Kings. I do disagree with him putting him on the first line though. That's a lot of responsibility for a kid. Just put him on the third line with Stoll and move him up as he gets more comfortable. I remember the Kings did that with King and it didn't work out at all. Not that King and Toffoli are the same kind of player.. they aren't. But, I think you understand what I'm saying.

I wouldn't mind seeing Penner or Stoll traded. Heck.. even Gagne. But, I don't see them leaving anytime soon until trade deadline. (I wouldn't mind be wrong about that)

I don't blame Dean for bringing the whole team back. I would have done the same, but there comes a time when you end that experiment because it's obviously not working anymore and the Kings don't have time to waste.

The thing with Toffoli is that he needs to be in the top six. In your scenario you want to place him next to the black hole that is Stoll, I think we can all see how that works out. My idea of putting him on the first line (not my favorite idea) centered around trying to get at least one diffeent guy on each line because they are all currently failing.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Okay, throw him on the 4th line then.. that should work. :laugh: The third line is perfect for him..all Stoll needs to do is pass to him. I think he can handle that.
You're implying that Stoll can actually complete passes, which, as we know by now, is a rare occurrence. Stoll has some of the worst hands I've ever seen on an NHL player, and you're expecting him to deftly distribute the puck to a sniper in prime scoring areas?

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
The thing with Toffoli is that he needs to be in the top six. In your scenario you want to place him next to the black hole that is Stoll, I think we can all see how that works out. My idea of putting him on the first line (not my favorite idea) centered around trying to get at least one new guy on each line because they are all currently failing.

I agree he will need to be in the top 6 sooner or later. But, not when he first joins the Kings. I just don't like that idea. Give it a couple games and then see if he can handle it. If the Kings have to be patient with any guy.. it's him. Maybe the Kings will have a new third liner by the time he does join the Kings :D

My point is.. get him comfortable and then throw him on the second line.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I am actually not opposed to bringing up Toffoli and seeing what he can do, perhaps even with Kopitar.

With Richards looking less and less like the offensive player we expected it may be time to look at letting Carter center the 2nd line and Richards take over for Stoll to try and salvage this offense.

The Kings just can't be expected to win games getting nothing from the 2nd line 5 on 5.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I am actually not opposed to bringing up Toffoli and seeing what he can do, perhaps even with Kopitar.

With Richards looking less and less like the offensive player we expected it may be time to look at letting Carter center the 2nd line and Richards take over for Stoll to try and salvage this offense.

The Kings just can't be expected to win games getting nothing from the 2nd line 5 on 5.

Kinda like this? :sarcasm:

A couple more games like that and we are going to really need to shake things up. Hmm, lets see:

Brown-Kopi-Toffoli
Gagne-Carter-Williams
Clifford-Richards-Vey
King-Stoll-Nolan

Trade Penner

Shellz

May 6, 2009
California
You're implying that Stoll can actually complete passes, which, as we know by now, is a rare occurrence. Stoll has some of the worst hands I've ever seen on an NHL player, and you're expecting him to deftly distribute the puck to a sniper in prime scoring areas?

Yes? I didn't say leave him there his entire career. Jasus. Just get him comfortable and then put him with Richards. Who knows..maybe he can turn Stoll into a good player. :sarcasm:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Who knows..maybe he can turn Stoll into a good player. :sarcasm:

Or maybe he can walk on water too.

Once again, the last thing we want to do with our most promising offensive prospect is have him anywhere near Jarret Stoll, on or off the ice.

Let the kid play with good players and spend time with a guy like Brown to see how a real pro acts on and off the ice.

If he is in over his head ship him back to Manchester, hell there is no way he could be any worse than Stoll, Penner or King have been this year.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Yes? I didn't say leave him there his entire career. Jasus. Just get him comfortable and then put him with Richards. Who knows..maybe he can turn Stoll into a good player. :sarcasm:
There's no point in bringing Toffoli up if he's not put in a position that plays to his strengths, which is scoring goals and finding open areas around the net. Putting him on a grinding unit is not beneficial to him or the team.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
So, how exactly is Lewis flying so under the radar around here? I know he is saddled with Stoll, but he's just not very good. He's played in every game on what has no doubt been our absolute worst line, he's just kinda there...

Ron*

Give the competition some of the credit here guys.

This was entirely predictable...Nashville has been flying high since we played them last week...sometimes, you just are going to lose the game, no matter how well you play.

I will admit the D really broke down in the first two periods...but that's NHL hockey. Can't afford even the littlest of mistakes.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Stoll and Penner should be traded for a top 6 winger. I see Kopitar - Carter and - Richards centering our top 3 lines.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
reposting in PGT so people can lawl at it, The Kings PP Late in the third

2dbl3pf.png

I looking at this on my phone. When posting media of the Kings PP, you need to state if it is a photo or a video. If i dont see the seconds moving i have no way of telling the difference.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Give the competition some of the credit here guys.

This was entirely predictable...Nashville has been flying high since we played them last week...sometimes, you just are going to lose the game, no matter how well you play.

I will admit the D really broke down in the first two periods...but that's NHL hockey. Can't afford even the littlest of mistakes.

I give Nashville plenty of credit, but we have scored 2 goals or less in 6 of our 9 games. Two of those games where we scored more than two goals were against teams that had Steve Mason and Jason LOLBarbera in net, we are offensively inept right now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad