Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I was chatting with a buddy about this today. Our PP used to be pretty much terrible. 17 passes leading to a turnover or shot from the point into someone's shins. The puck movement now is pretty much something I don't recall seeing with this team.

A willingness to shoot too. It seems we are getting 3-4 shots per PP when previously we'd be trying for that perfect shot ... after we pissed away the first 90 seconds just trying to enter the zone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
A willingness to shoot too. It seems we are getting 3-4 shots per PP when previously we'd be trying for that perfect shot ... after we pissed away the first 90 seconds just trying to enter the zone.
Moving the puck quickly is giving the guys the looks they need to take a shot. Before, we moved the puck so slow we hardly even had a shot to take.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I think sending him back would be a slap in the face after how well he's done. Everything he has left to learn he can learn in the NHL. 11-12 minutes a night along with NHL practices is where I think he should be, to be best off long term. Another year in Juniors seems like it'd be a wasted year for his development.
Agreed, also how Hayton should have been handled.

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
One thing I've noticed about the PP compared to previous years is that they never dump it in to chase. That was a hallmark of the Tocchet era John Maclean led Powerplays. Dump it in, and then get beat to it along the boards because the team lacked strength and physicality.

Now, I've noticed they've pretty much designated Maccelli as the zone entry guy on the second unit, and I think Keller on the first unit. They always skate it in and chip it to the faceoff dot to settle and set up. If it gets picked off, they almost always have the 5th man hanging back behind the blue line to come in and try to keep the puck in an help set the play back up. It's made our zone entries smoother than we've seen in years past. Combine the fact that Moser and Ghost are great at keeping clearing attempts in the zone, the team can actually focus on passing plays rather than worrying if they'll even be able to set anything up. Quite simply, John Maclean should never coach a powerplay again, but Lou gave him a shot in Long Island. He'll regret it.

Can we also give the PK some credit too? John Madden did a great job shutting down the Panthers' PP last night, and you look at the talent they have, It's pretty impressive.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Who else you gonna move down?

Then you have 2-3 guys in Tucson who are probably going to need to get a look.

Right now I think he's staying. Last week I didn't. Not going to be a easy decision for BA.
With a roster full of role players, you ask this?

Lmao the worst roster of the cap era has one of the best PPs in the league

Coaching matters kids
It sure does and GMJC was dumb enough to hire meathead RT and GMBA was dumb enough to keep him around after he was hired.

Reactions: Jakey53

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I wonder what Chychrun thinks when he looks at the standings and sees that OTT has only one more point than we do and CBJ has one less point. Which team would he prefer to compete for the Stanley Cup with? Lol
IDK, but when he’s watching the game he’s got his hand under his chin, supporting his head, every time I look up at him.

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
I wonder if they just don't have permission by ASU since it's their arena. Not sure if there's a way that makes sense to be able to have them in a way that can be put up/taken down between games if that were the case?

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Kai Yo T

Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Noticed this in there too. Love hearing nice things for once lol.

Screenshot_20221102_111820.jpg

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
My feeling aren't hurt, but you want Guenther to play like a vet. He has played less than 10 games. If he stays up he will have his up's and down's all year, and probably the next couple of years.
how do you know what I want? you dont. i agree with your other points.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Does he show excitement at all for the team during the game(s) or is he checked out?
He’s behind me, so I don’t look much, but seems disinterested. I wouldn’t read much into that though, I’m certain he wants to be playing. He’s always been next to Schmaltz, who honestly appears more engaged, but only slightly so.

I wonder if they just don't have permission by ASU since it's their arena. Not sure if there's a way that makes sense to be able to have them in a way that can be put up/taken down between games if that were the case?
Probably not worth the effort.

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
He’s behind me, so I don’t look much, but seems disinterested. I wouldn’t read much into that though, I’m certain he wants to be playing. He’s always been next to Schmaltz, who honestly appears more engaged, but only slightly so.
League-wide, very few healthy scratches or injured guys are very rah-rah from the press box. They might get a little more animated in the playoffs, but for the most part, guys kind of sit on their hands. It's almost like a city crew where guys are just watching their co-workers work.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
I'm not shocked, really, considering that not a single NHL player or family thereof in Arizona has ever lived anywhere other than the palaces in the East Valley.

I think I heard that we have the third-best powerplay in the entire league as of last night. If anyone ever expected to hear that about any Coyotes team, much less this one, I'd feel pretty secure in calling them a liar.

It's not smart to extrapolate an entire season out of five or so games, but I'm starting to get the sense that the team is not wholly on board with the idea of picking first overall this year. And honestly, even though that might cost us a top-level player, I'm fine with it. I'd rather them overachieve and miss out on Bedard than have the boys buy in on failure.
Yea it's not the players or coaches who lead the tank, that's Armstrong's job. And I think overachieving is actually what you want at the start of the year because if they continue to play like this then it's easier to trade guys like Ghost and Ritchie for higher picks than if they weren't playing well. Then the AHLers who fill those spots will naturally drag the team's performance down into lottery pick range.

Reactions: Coyotes19c

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
"20 minutes away from your first win..." Way to go Walsh. F'n jinxed it!

Much easier on the mind to utter jinxes in a tank approved season....and perhaps the jinx is not the statement....but the mind chatter that follows?

haha, we've already beaten Florida & Toronto this season. Fantastic. Terrible for the tank, but hey, we've got to win some games.
Beat the teams who could use Chychrun.....perhaps the next available Panthers 1st round pick is exactly the pick to target as it could possibly coincide with a time when the Panthers fail to make the playoffs, and a time the Coyotes are a playoff team.....similar to the Avs getting Makar. :popcorn:
I love Moser. Might be my favorite player on the team currently
I love the draft pick he was selected with more....exciting to wonder what other lovable non 1st round picks the Blueberry suits might make the next couple of drafts.
Yea it's not the players or coaches who lead the tank, that's Armstrong's job. And I think overachieving is actually what you want at the start of the year because if they continue to play like this then it's easier to trade guys like Ghost and Ritchie for higher picks than if they weren't playing well. Then the AHLers who fill those spots will naturally drag the team's performance down into lottery pick range.
I like the way you "thinktank"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad