GDT: Game 9 | Columbus @ Dallas | 8 PM EST

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I mean he hasn't scored this season yet, he hasn't exactly cemented himself this season.
Ok, so he hasn’t scored a goal this year. He scored 21 goals in 59 games last year. The guy has shown he can score. Following your logic, Johnny should sit this one out.

Cole also has no goals this season. But at least he did have 3 in 64 games last season.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Ok, so he hasn’t scored a goal this year. He scored 21 goals in 59 games last year. The guy has shown he can score. Following your logic, Johnny should sit this one out.

Cole also has no goals this season. But at least he did have 3 in 64 games last season.
Johnny, outside of not scoring goals has had some assists and hasn't looked out of place. Someone posted the other day he's currently one of the unluckiest players in the league.

I'm not meaning to say that Marchenko is worthless if he isn't scoring, because he's still a well rounded player and needs minutes as well. But the last few games he didn't look as great.
Texier is pointless on the season and getting top 6 minutes.
Texier brings value to every shift with his grit and determination. He could go pointless all season and he'd still have a spot in the lineup.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Texier brings value to every shift with his grit and determination. He could go pointless all season and he'd still have a spot in the lineup.
I agree with this but it brings up the issue that we're addressing with Sillinger, Marchenko, Voronkov and whoever-else might (or might not be) be getting the sit-down treatment.

We don't know what the decision-making criteria are. Pascal gave a little insight when it was KJ (pace) but he's not going to provide a full picture, most likely. So we're left to conjecture.

For me, anyway, it's hard to know what my level of agreement or disagreement with Vincent's lineup decisions when I don't have (and likely won't have) access to all the information he does or a full explanation of said.

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Losing streak continues. Hopefully we can score atleast once. Last 3 games have been horrifying and they were against bottom 16 teams now its against top 6 team. Dallas 6 Columbus 2.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree with this but it brings up the issue that we're addressing with Sillinger, Marchenko, Voronkov and whoever-else might (or might not be) be getting the sit-down treatment.

We don't know what the decision-making criteria are. Pascal gave a little insight when it was KJ (pace) but he's not going to provide a full picture, most likely. So we're left to conjecture.

For me, anyway, it's hard to know what my level of agreement or disagreement with Vincent's lineup decisions when I don't have (and likely won't have) access to all the information he does or a full explanation of said.
I am excited to see Voronkov on the 3rd line I do think he has value in the top 9 once he's a little more acclimated and comfortable on the ice. It's not just the size of the ice but actually building some chemistry with the guys on ice, most of whom he can't speak to. It's gonna take a little bit longer for him imo

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Goals per game: 2.67 (23rd) | Scoring defense: 2.33 (5th) | PP: 11.1 percent (29th) | PK: 94.7 percent (2nd)

In net, Jake Oettinger has started four games and still looks like one of the best young goaltenders in the game, posting a 3-0-1 record with a 1.44 GAA and .952 save percentage. Per MoneyPuck.com, he’s third in the league in goals saved above average per 60 minutes.
Hope we at least make it entertaining tonight :naughty:

PREVIEW: Blue Jackets right back on the road to take on Stars | Columbus Blue Jackets

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
by this logic, william karlsson should've been a perennial 40-goal scorer after his first year in vegas.

marchenko rode an unsustainably high shooting percentage for most of last year – and his goal scoring numbers were buoyed by the power play in particular (7 goals on 30 shots). his overall scoring numbers (25 points in 59 games) come out to roughly 35-point pace over a full season.

if you take away the power play numbers, he was on pace for 24 even strength points over a full season last year as a 22-year-old. that's less than cole sillinger had (29) at 18, which is… interesting, given how fans talk about the two of them.

he was their best forward in the first few games. not saying he doesn't deserve a lineup spot, but for a team that has really struggled to score at 5v5 it's probably worth moving him down in the lineup and injecting some more skill into the top six.

i'd like to see a few swaps, leading to lines like this:
  1. gaudreau - fantilli - bemstrom
  2. johnson - jenner - roslovic
  3. texier - sillinger - marchenko
  4. danforth - kuraly - olivier
would be more balanced/built to support their three young guys (fantilli/johnson/sillinger) in different ways: putting fantilli with a play-driver, putting johnson with a puck carrier, and giving sillinger two guys with pace/skill.

Napoli

Oct 4, 2023
by this logic, william karlsson should've been a perennial 40-goal scorer after his first year in vegas.

marchenko rode an unsustainably high shooting percentage for most of last year – and his goal scoring numbers were buoyed by the power play in particular (7 goals on 30 shots). his overall scoring numbers (25 points in 59 games) come out to roughly 35-point pace over a full season.

if you take away the power play numbers, he was on pace for 24 even strength points over a full season last year as a 22-year-old. that's less than cole sillinger had (29) at 18, which is… interesting, given how fans talk about the two of them.

he was their best forward in the first few games. not saying he doesn't deserve a lineup spot, but for a team that has really struggled to score at 5v5 it's probably worth moving him down in the lineup and injecting some more skill into the top six.

i'd like to see a few swaps, leading to lines like this:
  1. gaudreau - fantilli - bemstrom
  2. johnson - jenner - roslovic
  3. texier - sillinger - marchenko
  4. danforth - kuraly - olivier
would be more balanced/built to support their three young guys (fantilli/johnson/sillinger) in different ways: putting fantilli with a play-driver, putting johnson with a puck carrier, and giving sillinger two guys with pace/skill.
Does it make sense to even look at stats let alone dissect them for a young player only 22 years old? He clearly is better than Cole, he's snakebitten and needs to play.

Pazzy is making some odd choices, guess we have to wait and see how it plays out.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Does it make sense to even look at stats let alone dissect them for a young player only 22 years old? He clearly is better than Cole, he's snakebitten and needs to play.

Pazzy is making some odd choices, guess we have to wait and see how it plays out.
This 100%. The good thing with Pazzy so far is that he’s not afraid to shuffle players. Marchenko being out for a few games should not only light a fire in him, but also give him time to understand exactly what Pazz wants him to do on the ice.

I think that from a coaches perspective, early in the season points count as much as seeing players execute the game plan in their given roles. Marchy will get his shot on a scoring line shortly.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

This. We still have 70 games to go. Guys missing a handful of games won't matter much over the course of the season, especially if it kicks starts some production. Also if you're trying to create some competition between some guys, you gotta stick with the guys who are bringing it. Having said that Marchenko isn't a guy I would healthy scratch for more than a game or two. If its not Voronkov, someone else has gotta sit to get Marchy back in unless he's absolutely doggin it at practice.

Reactions: thebus88

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I suspect we will suck offensively again given these weird roster decisions.

What do you need Sillinger, Voronkov, Olivier in this lineup for? They’re useless plugs. Marchenko provides skill and forecheck, puck retrieval.
Comments like this are mystifying to me. Do you seriously not realize that there are different roles on a hockey team? You can't play four skill lines. You just cannot. That's not how the game works. Yes, you need grinders. Even the top teams in the league have "useless plugs." Olivier has a roster spot on 30 other teams, and the other one already has Ryan Reaves (and Leafs fans would still probably make the trade).

Yes, Marchenko should be playing. But not over a fourth liner. You may as well compare him to a defenseman for how comparable their roles on the team as a whole are. (I do agree Sillinger should be watching, though)

zukezuchegno

Feb 5, 2013
If you want to preach accountability and making guys earn it, maybe you sit Severson a game and bring in Boqvist or Peeke.

Can someone tell me how they come up with this? I thought our d that game wasn't that bad but obviously I don't know anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad