GDT: Game 9, Columbus at St. Louis

major major

Feb 18, 2013
He's not wrong, I don't think, in the abstract. Being engaged physically - and, like Torts, I don't just mean plowing into people - activates other parts of your game, or can, anyway. He's made a decision that this is what this group needs to get itself going. I hope he's right, but it is hewing awfully close to "we're a team of grinders and that's what we do," which is a turn-off as far as I'm concerned. And the bits and the ways the game used to be are ugh.

If I remember 2016-17 accurately (doubtful), the Jackets would hammer teams physically and the chaos actually made space for playmaking. Maybe that's not accurate, but I don't assume that these two things, skill and physicality, are at cross-purposes.

Reactions: Viqsi and thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If I remember 2016-17 accurately (doubtful), the Jackets would hammer teams physically and the chaos actually made space for playmaking. Maybe that's not accurate, but I don't assume that these two things, skill and physicality, are at cross-purposes.

As I said, it sounds like that's what Torts is counting on. I hope he's right. I also hope he has another answer if he's not.

I also said that the two things are not at cross-purposes.

Reactions: thebus88

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Well, the pessimism only took an hour and 13 minutes to lurk in the GDT after the original post by @PanarinBagel was created.

I get it, y’all are frustrated with some decisions that Torts has made in the pre-game. But, let. the. team. step. on. the. ice. first. before. judging.

So glad that no one in this GDT is our head coach because the team would’ve been morally defeated by the time they even stepped on the tarmac at John Glenn International Airport to fly to STL.

... Go Jackets.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
QOTD:

1. Given the fact many are upset with with Tort's strategy tonight, if Korpisalo gets lit for 4 tonight and we lose, does he get a pass?
  2. BONUS: If he pitches a shutout, who's volunteering to eat crow first?

:sarcasm:

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I don’t think I’ve ever been more excited for a Korpi start. Intrigued to see how he plays to say the least. And say, he does notch a 32 save, 2 goal win, he MUST be started in consecutive games after tonight (if success happens).

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
A couple tidbits I found interesting...
  • Tarasenko currently shooting at 5.7% ----- career average is 12.9%
  • CBJ vs STL all-time: 83 games played. 30 wins, 38 losses, 3 ties, 12 overtime losses.
  • Record @ Scottrade -- 10 wins, 24 losses, 1 tie, 7 overtime losses.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
A couple tidbits I found interesting...
  • Tarasenko currently shooting at 5.7% ----- career average is 12.9%
  • CBJ vs STL all-time: 83 games played. 30 wins, 38 losses, 3 ties, 12 overtime losses.
  • Record @ Scottrade -- 10 wins, 24 losses, 1 tie, 7 overtime losses.

To add to this, Tarasenko and Pietrangelo have both been brutal at 5v5 so far. Both have been on the ice for a combined 19 goals against, while just 8 goals for. The best line so far at even strength has surprisingly been Sanford-O’Reilly-Perron.

2 things to watch for:

• The Blues PP ranks 8th best but has tremendous weapons. Jackets must stay away from the penalty box. Jackets PK ranks 24th.

• The Blues are second best in faceoffs (nothing new as they are always a top 5 faceoff team). Jackets rank 19th.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I guess I am in the minority on this. I am intrigued to see the Foligno-Jenner-Andy line play tonight.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Gonna grind 'em down.

Eddie Shore. Old Tyme Hockey.
Oh, You're being harsh on Torts.
26420928-un-cavern%C3%ADcola-de-dibujos-animados-feliz-con-una-rueda-.jpg

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Despite how much I loathe Torts approach, because I have griped so much about it I'm predicting a night of twos tonight - two fights and a CBJ offensive explosion of two goals, good enough for a 2-1 win.

So Come on, Korpi!

Reactions: DJAnimosity

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
I still can't believe we played as we did in Chicago and then all of a sudden sucked. Team has no consistency. Never know what you are going to get.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
As expected Korpisalo is starting, it will be interesting to see how the team plays for him.... No doubt Bob is scheduled for Buffalo but won't last long if weak...

Go Korpi go!!!! Win this one!

Reactions: thebus88 and CBJSTH

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Despite how much I loathe Torts approach, because I have griped so much about it I'm predicting a night of twos tonight - two fights and a CBJ offensive explosion of two goals, good enough for a 2-1 win.

So Come on, Korpi!
Buffalo will fight Saturday trust me.... Tonight needs to be preparation for that....

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
We need this one big time.... can't be 4-5 with Buffalo and those pesky fans invading Nationwide... lol

btw.... tons of seats available for the Saturday game.... It should be a sell out!!!! :(

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
St Louis arena looks empty as well. Wonder if the Blues writer on The Athletic will write a column tomorrow asking why the fans aren’t coming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad