Post-Game Talk: Game 84, same as the previous 83.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Benning was awful but he's not exactly being set up for success either. He shouldn't be playing higher than the third pairing.
I agree. Poor guy is getting hung out to dry out there. I get that it's frustrating to watch us get lit up but the blame needs to go higher than him.

It would be like making Khaira centre our 2nd line and then everybody throwing a fit when he doesn't provide much offence.

Benning was at his best on this team 2 years ago when he played sheltered minutes on the third pair against lesser competition. He might have the ability to play in the top 4 with success one day but he sure isn't going to learn how by being thrown to the wolves on a nightly basis.

Reactions: Oilhawks

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I agree. Poor guy is getting hung out to dry out there. I get that it's frustrating to watch us get lit up but the blame needs to go higher than him.

It would be like making Khaira centre our 2nd line and then everybody throwing a fit when he doesn't provide much offence.

Benning was at his best on this team 2 years ago when he played sheltered minutes on the third pair against lesser competition. He might have the ability to play in the top 4 with success one day but he sure isn't going to learn how by being thrown to the wolves on a nightly basis.
The maddening thing is they tried this exact same setup last year with the exact same results. Back then it was a failed experiment. Fine, whatever. Live and learn. Why are they doing it AGAIN?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Especially playing with current Nurse who looks terrible himself.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton

They're doing the same thing they did with Schultz. They'll end up waiving him/trading him away for peanuts in a year or two and he'll end up finding success elsewhere in a role more suited to his ability.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Hope you guys beat the Rangers. Jack Hughes is supposed to be our Tavares replacement, not go to your guys! For real though, you all have suffered enough, I hope change is on the horizon for your front office/coaching.

I hate it when random fans of other teams come to tell us we've suffered enough, no offence

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Heading for the game no 85...

Team is so blah. In the preseason, two glaring problems were the 2nd line and the powerplay. Its very evident along with the defense.

Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto doesnt work. I personally dont think Lucic and Draisaitl works but honestly if Draisaitl had chemistry with a RW and Lucic was a fill in on the second line, it might work ok. I havent seen any indication that Draisaitl and Yamamoto works. JP could work on the second line but hes out there playing timid now.

Lucic has looked better to start the year but honestly I think hes a third liner at this point. Playing him 15+ mins a night, I dont think is a good idea.

Beyond the first line, nothing works for this team. This team wont win many games if the Draisaitl line isnt consistently good and outscoring whatever line they are against.

The defense is a mess. I dont blame TM much for that, Chiarelli hasnt given him much to work with. Although maybe if someone like Bear or Bouchard were on the first unit pp, players would feel like they have a more defined role on the team and would have more confidence.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This was a close game only because the Bruins backed off after they got a 3-1 lead. When the game was “up for grabs”, Boston completely dominated. We’ve seen dozens of these types of games over the years where the score is much closer than the game was. That’s how the league is. I have no doubt that if the Oilers had scored a second goal that the Bruins would have gotten it back quickly. That’s how much they owned this game.

Actually the Bruins downfall, and even against us in games is that they are extremely inconsistent. The BRuins are very much an in waves sort of team. Very subject to momentum. They either look like the best club ever or a club where you wonder what happened on any given day. They were extremely concerned with McD all day. I mean McD busted Chara's wagon in the first few minutes. They played with some healthy fear after that. But the Bruins did get rattled at times in this game, and were angry at several times in this game. We weren't the complete lightweights that is being posted here either. On the whole that wasn't a bad performance, Bruins got some breaks, an own goal, and we didn't. This effort level was better than NJ game, of that there is no doubt.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
That tweet is very telling. They did not post the defensive lineups because they are probably exactly the same and the twitter rage is already hilarious enough.

Come on Bob, show us the D pairings at tell us that Benning is still in the top 4 so we can keep laughing.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
Actually the Bruins downfall, and even against us in games is that they are extremely inconsistent. The BRuins are very much an in waves sort of team. Very subject to momentum. They either look like the best club ever or a club where you wonder what happened on any given day. They were extremely concerned with McD all day. I mean McD busted Chara's wagon in the first few minutes. They played with some healthy fear after that. But the Bruins did get rattled at times in this game, and were angry at several times in this game. We weren't the complete lightweights that is being posted here either. On the whole that wasn't a bad performance, Bruins got some breaks, an own goal, and we didn't. This effort level was better than NJ game, of that there is no doubt.

I was about to post my negativity to this thread, then I read your post, of all people's, being positive! That was refreshing to see...

My thoughts:
  • Why is even Matthews even being compared to McDavid? #97 is other-wordly. That run on Chara looked like it happened in Fast Forward.
  • Yamamoto does not look ready for the NHL. I get that it's game 2 only, but he underwhelmed in preseason. I would send him back to the AHL.
  • Puljujaarvi started off strong, but then collapsed. Probably he was cold. I don't understand why he isn't tried on line 2 - I think that would be a solid line! Having said that, him and Strome had some early moments.
  • Benning / Nurse pairing looks terrible, and it's not only Benning's fault. Will the real Darnell please stand up? Benning should be on the 3rd pairing.
  • Kassian had a scrum, but his eyes weren't crazy... He needs to be pissed off. 4th line actually looked good.
  • Cags with a statement game. He played effectively and made the most of his time - I believe the hate he's getting is misplaced.
  • Drai needs to take some blame. Despite his lack of wingers, he is not driving much out there. Shots on net?
  • Lucic is playing fine - MUCH better than last season... not the same as his peak form, but as good as we can expect
Looking forward to Saturday... that 5-day break was too long!

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I was about to post my negativity to this thread, then I read your post, of all people's, being positive! That was refreshing to see...

My thoughts:
  • Why is even Matthews even being compared to McDavid? #97 is other-wordly. That run on Chara looked like it happened in Fast Forward.
  • Yamamoto does not look ready for the NHL. I get that it's game 2 only, but he underwhelmed in preseason. I would send him back to the AHL.
  • Puljujaarvi started off strong, but then collapsed. Probably he was cold. I don't understand why he isn't tried on line 2 - I think that would be a solid line! Having said that, him and Strome had some early moments.
  • Benning / Nurse pairing looks terrible, and it's not only Benning's fault. Will the real Darnell please stand up? Benning should be on the 3rd pairing.
  • Kassian had a scrum, but his eyes weren't crazy... He needs to be pissed off. 4th line actually looked good.
  • Cags with a statement game. He played effectively and made the most of his time - I believe the hate he's getting is misplaced.
  • Drai needs to take some blame. Despite his lack of wingers, he is not driving much out there. Shots on net?
  • Lucic is playing fine - MUCH better than last season... not the same as his peak form, but as good as we can expect
Looking forward to Saturday... that 5-day break was too long!

Thanks,

In the case of both Nurse and Drai I think invariably its hard for them to like the company, if you get my drift. This was all season last year for Drai and he's again being told to pull a cart with one wheel.

Nurse is being asked to carry someone who is not even a legit NHL D. Benning makes so many bad plays and reads/game its obvious to anybody that not only can he not be a 2nd pair, he's not even NHL.

Meanwhile Larsson and Klef continue to be played together, both get higher pay than Nurse, who is left with the short straw.

I wonder how pleased players are getting shortest straw assignments.

The positives are Lucic, Rieder, Rattie, and Bouchard from my view. Those represent improvements to our roster. As long as Milan is holding up. Lucic started well last season too though.

Heres an interesting thing. Virtually all of McLellans pressers have been themed on one what the bottomsix is not getting done. McD has had two games and has been on ice for every Oiler goal. Tells you how that is working..
I think Pulju and Rieder are buried just to try to kickstart something back there and it won't ignite. Not for lack of effort on Rieders part. Even Kass had the best game in about a year but not crazed enough as you say.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Looks good. Khaira was totally the problem with the team. That'll fix it. /s

Wouldnt surprise me if Khaira is a bit sore from the neck up this morning. That was a hard hit he took in the first and he got popped at least one good one in his fight.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Heading for the game no 85...

I'm not sure what Kassian has done to earn a spot in the lineup, insert Chiasson.
That 2nd line isn't working either. Yams needs some farm time.
IMO, it would be wise to insert Chiasson for a bottom 6 spot, send Yams down to the AHL to develop, and move JP up to the 2nd line.

RNH McDavid Rattie
Lucic Draisaitl Puljujarvi

That's the ideal top 6, but dumbass Todd has to stubbornly stick to his own ways once again. Bet they'll lose tomorrow making it 0-3.

Reactions: PulYou

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Looks good. Khaira was totally the problem with the team. That'll fix it. /s

I don't understand why Kassian keeps getting looks despite being an absolute Sieve. He has been next to useless most of last season and all throughout preseason and the first 2 games yet his spot on the bottom 6 remains status quo ?

Kassian has been utter garbage.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't understand why Kassian keeps getting looks despite being an absolute Sieve. He has been next to useless most of last season and all throughout preseason and the first 2 games yet his spot on the bottom 6 remains status quo ?

Kassian has been utter garbage.

Kass was hot garbage in preseason, last year, and in first game. He was good last night. Did you watch the game? Kass was one of the most involved Oilers players. If he played that way most nights there would be no problem.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Kass was hot garbage in preseason, last year, and in first game. He was good last night. Did you watch the game? Kass was one of the most involved Oilers players. If he played that way most nights there would be no problem.

Kassian has been hot garbage. Getting involved in altercations means jack when you are getting nothing done. pushing and shoving people does not equate to an effective hockey player, which he has not been thus far. Right now his spot in the bottom 6 is written in stone.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The puck might as well not even be on the ice when Kassian is playing. The guy has been completely nothing offensively. The one memorable zone entry he had against Boston he chipped the puck past a defender and lost the race to it. He can't handle the puck, his hits are easy to avoid and he doesn't agitate anyone to any degree.

There might be a game down the line where his game becomes effective, but from game 1 to game 82, I'd prefer a guy out there who has a remote chance of scoring a goal.

Total try hard.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Kassian has been hot garbage. Getting involved in altercations means jack when you are getting nothing done. pushing and shoving people does not equate to an effective hockey player, which he has not been thus far. Right now his spot in the bottom 6 is written in stone.

Kassian was actually playing well last night, was working well with Rieder, involved in some scoring chances and good pressure. The best Draisaitl shift of the night was with Kass and Rieder, later with Kass and Khaira. Not making it up. I don't even like Kass and I'm saying this. When he is giving it, Zach can support offense. Just that we very infrequently see him motivated. I can only think he got a major tonguelashing because he was a different player last night.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Reider needs to be moved up, he looks a lot better than Yamamoto right now. Kassian should come out, and honestly I don't know how long they can go before moving Draisaitl back with McDavid. I know RNH looked promising last year and in the preseason, but at some point you have to go back to what you know works. That first line has been decent, but really they haven't produced anything, it's been McDavid alone so far.

I wouldn't mind seeing RNH with Reider and someone else for a bit, see if that works at all. Maybe McDavid Draisaitl and Rattie, or if Rattie doesn't get it going throw Yamamoto up there with them. Wouldn't hate to see Reider move up with McDavid either.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Kassian was actually playing well last night, was working well with Rieder, involved in some scoring chances and good pressure. The best Draisaitl shift of the night was with Kass and Rieder, later with Kass and Khaira. Not making it up. I don't even like Kass and I'm saying this. When he is giving it, Zach can support offense. Just that we very infrequently see him motivated. I can only think he got a major tonguelashing because he was a different player last night.
I can't say I've noticed Kassian once so far. And this was the kind of game he could've made himself noticeable. Instead the "big boys" of the Oilers waited at the bus stop while Khaira and Cagguila had to fend for themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad