GDT: Game 82: Slow pokes @ Rongos | 4/29/2022 | 7pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Panthers has the potential of being a sweep. They could skate around us.

Worst case... if Caps win and use all their energy and lose in round 2 - nothing will stay the same.

With what the team has done post Cup - this offseason will need to have front office changes if we lose early again. They aren't even playing or putting young guys in positions to be in the lineup and we are a freaking 8 seed and looking like an early out again. CANNOT go into another year like this.

Literally everyone except Ovi and Backstrom should be on the block if we lose early again. Especially every player older (Oshie, Hagelin, etc).

SoulessGingerCapsFan

Jul 5, 2013

Worst case... if Caps win and use all their energy and lose in round 2 - nothing will stay the same.

With what the team has done post Cup - this offseason will need to have front office changes if we lose early again. They aren't even playing or putting young guys in positions to be in the lineup and we are a freaking 8 seed and looking like an early out again. CANNOT go into another year like this.

Literally everyone except Ovi and Backstrom should be on the block if we lose early again. Especially every player older (Oshie, Hagelin, etc).
I mean… quick, painless death?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Carlson has that shot with Ovi out there. Wonder why he doesn't take that shot with Ovi out there more? He is capable of what he just did OFTEN... Would be nice if he shot more like this on the PP. At very least keeps defense from being so far back/locked in to the circles only...

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Carlson has that shot with Ovi out there. Wonder why he doesn't take that shot with Ovi out there more? He is capable of what he just did OFTEN... Would be nice if he shot more like this on the PP. At very least keeps defense from being so far back/locked in to the circles only...
I think generally he only pulls the trigger when he’s got a pretty clean look.

Otherwise shot gets blocked and he’s going the other way defending. He shot there because Kreider was late getting to him.

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think generally he only pulls the trigger when he’s got a pretty clean look.

Otherwise shot gets blocked and he’s going the other way defending. He shot there because Kreider was late getting to him.
Yeah. A while back, someone (I forget who) did a pretty serious photo/video breakdown of why Carlson wasn't shooting from the point on the powerplay. The penalty kill focused on Ovechkin and Carlson. Defenders were very, very quick to get in Carlson's shooting lanes. Either he shot it and it got blocked, or he passed on the shot. IIRC, there was a LOT of griping early in the season about how Carlson kept shooting into blocks, lol.

It seems like PKers have always focused on Ovi, Carlson, and Oshie, while giving the half-wall quarterback (either Backstrom or Kuznetsov) plenty of room (because they won't shoot anyway) and giving the below-the-line guy room as well (because what are they gonna do, other than try to walk the puck across the crease).

Reactions: RedRocking

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010

The Caps weren’t projected to make the playoffs with a fully healthy roster, let alone missing their whole second line the first half of the season, and getting even worse goaltending than expected.

Does it suck they’re not a clear Cup contender anymore? Yeah. But I’m not blaming BMac and I really don’t know if I would want him to trade guys like Backstrom, Oshie, and Carlson to clear cap space and make upgrades. I want those guys to retire as Caps.

Could be use guys like Schultz and Eller’s (at this point) cap hit better? Yeah. But Eller’s contract has still been a gem overall, and I’m not sure there’s much more he can do without trading the core guys.

Realistically, the biggest cap problem is spending 9.5m on Backstrom who is a below average NHL player right now. Replace him with a player worth 9.5 mil and this team finishes 2nd or 3rd in the Metro easily. The goaltending could be improved as well, no doubt, but I’m also not sure if I would have done anything different last off-season. Next off season is a different story.

Reactions: Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad