Status
Not open for further replies.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Our feared PP when they lose the puck

1651259481346.png

Dont suck tonight

Jun 15, 2007
Backstrom should take tonight off and then the next 4 games as well.

I feel like our record without him is far better.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Anyone see anything noted whether Ovi will be in tonight? I gotta imagine the smart thing to do is to either:

A) Leave him out completely
B) Play him in a limited role so that he's not too rusty come Game 1 of the PO

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Washington was also at 53% xGF% before Backstrom returned and was a +23 at 5v5, and after he returned they are at 50% and are only +1.

They were the 5th highest scoring 5v5 team before Backstrom, and since he returned they are 19th.

I don't mean to put this all on Backstrom, because I don't think it's his fault so much as the team has played worse since he returned. Ovechkin and Kuznetsov are hovering around 45% xGF since Backstrom's return, along with Backstrom himself who's at 45%. They're all around 44% GF% as well. Oshie's not much better.

Their best forwards have been pretty brutal for 2/3 of the season. I'm actually kind of surprised Kuznetsov has escaped scrutiny for much of the season after getting skewered last year. It's hard to make the case that he's been any better this year than last. I think he's actually been a bit worse. His point rate and ES impacts are certainly worse.

Reactions: SecretaryofDefense5

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Washington was also at 53% xGF% before Backstrom returned and was a +23 at 5v5, and after he returned they are at 50% and are only +1.

They were the 5th highest scoring 5v5 team before Backstrom, and since he returned they are 19th.

I don't mean to put this all on Backstrom, because I don't think it's his fault so much as the team has played worse since he returned. Ovechkin and Kuznetsov are hovering around 45% xGF since Backstrom's return, along with Backstrom himself who's at 45%. They're all around 44% GF% as well. Oshie's not much better.

Their best forwards have been pretty brutal for 2/3 of the season. I'm actually kind of surprised Kuznetsov has escaped scrutiny for much of the season after getting skewered last year. It's hard to make the case that he's been any better this year than last. I think he's actually been a bit worse. His point rate and ES impacts are certainly worse.

They were one of the best teams in the league for all of March, and right up until Ovie got hurt this past week.

The entire team happened to stink from Jan-Feb and that's dragging down NB's correlative stats. I don't think he was the cause of that, do you?

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Do we have to engage in offseason-like post mortems before they even play G1?

Who cares that they lost to an extremely motivated Isles team in the last week of the regular season. Yes, Backy’s hip is an issue and the goaltending sucks. We all know this. No need to light yourself on fire just yet.

And yet they beat the Avs, B’s, Pens, Bolts, (and should have beat Vegas, Leafs) in the past couple weeks. If we get 3rd, the whole series will look (stylistically) like the past 2 games - there are no good options. So bring it the F on.

Maybe can we at least see how the series goes before declaring this season over and the team totally worthless?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Do we have to engage in offseason-like post mortems before they even play G1?

Who cares that they lost to an extremely motivated Isles team in the last week of the regular season. Yes, Backy’s hip is an issue and the goaltending sucks. We all know this. No need to light yourself on fire just yet.

And yet they beat the Avs, B’s, Pens, Bolts, (and should have beat Vegas, Leafs) in the past couple weeks. If we get 3rd, the whole series will look (stylistically) like the past 2 games - there are no good options. So bring it the F on.

Maybe can we at least see how the series goes before declaring this season over and the team totally worthless?
:scared:the Interwebz - where ppl must be the 1st and Loudest to tell everyone how bad everything sux0rz -- AND THEY KNEW IT ALL ALONG! ;) :baghead:

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
One team is playing like they desperately want to avoid Florida and the other is acting like it’s preseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad