GDT: Game 82: Red Wings at habs 7:00 pm et 4/16/24 (BSD, ESPN+)

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Anyone else think it's kind of weird that the players who scored the last three goals (I'm counting SO winner) of this season might not be back next season?
I think Perron is brought back at reduced cost.

Kane will be back if he wants to be, but it really sounds like he got what he wants (to prove he can play) and will move on to a contender. I'm not too broken up about it. He won't be here when it matters anyway. This team isn't doing anything worthwhile with 15 million tied up in bottom six players, AHL level defensemen, and goalies that can't stop a lead beachball.

I've got no use for Sprong.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
A good coach doesn’t need a perennial playoff roster to implement his system. And the roster is unlikely to dramatically improve next year unless we sign a star FA or some of the GR kids become major contributors.

After two seasons, I don’t understand what Lalonde’s system is or what his strengths are.

His system is dump and chase, collapse into a defensive "pray they don't score" mode in the 3rd period with a lead, and has all of the motivational skills of a soiled diaper.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
His system is dump and chase, collapse into a defensive "pray they don't score" mode in the 3rd period with a lead, and has all of the motivational skills of a soiled diaper.
You mean dump and don't chase? This team doesn't really forecheck well. Of course, it would help if all the forwards weren't smaller, less physical players.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I think Perron is brought back at reduced cost.

Kane will be back if he wants to be, but it really sounds like he got what he wants (to prove he can play) and will move on to a contender. I'm not too broken up about it. He won't be here when it matters anyway. This team isn't doing anything worthwhile with 15 million tied up in bottom six players, AHL level defensemen, and goalies that can't stop a lead beachball.

I've got no use for Sprong.
Yeah - was nice having Kane on board for the short ride, but Yzerman could spend that $$$ more wisely (like on Seider/Raymond).

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You know, I'm proud they got these two wins. Not the most impressive thing in the world, but they did fight and gutted them out.

Disappointing end to the season, but 91 points with a +4 goal differential isn't a bad showing. I know many people are frustrated and feeling impatient, but there's tangible improvement happening.

2024: 91 PTS +4 DIFF
2023: 80 PTS -39 DIFF
2022: 74 PTS -82 DIFF
2021 (56 gms): 48 PTS (70 PT pace) -44 (-64 pace)
2020 (71 gms): 39 PTS (45 PT pace) -122 (-140 pace)

We went from -140 to +4 since Yzerman took over. I know, it's not like we're planning parades or anything, but holy smokes it's not nothing. The line is going up. The question will be if it can go up from this season now.

brett89

Jun 29, 2016
that sucks but that losing streak was bad news. better luck next year but i dont think were a playoff team yet need better defense and goaltending maybe even some offense. i would like to keep kaner for the right price.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Man this really hurts. On one hand the heartbreak is so bad I rather would have been in the basement and been out of it way earlier on. On the other hand, it was nice to play meaningful games right until the end.

Probably more than anything else, my dad is pretty sick and was hoping we’d make it just to be able to see one playoff game together at LCA. Oh well.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
You know, I'm proud they got these two wins. Not the most impressive thing in the world, but they did fight and gutted them out.

Disappointing end to the season, but 91 points with a +4 goal differential isn't a bad showing. I know many people are frustrated and feeling impatient, but there's tangible improvement happening.

We went from -140 to +4 since Yzerman took over. I know, it's not like we're planning parades or anything, but holy smokes it's not nothing. The line is going up. The question will be if it can go up from this season now.
My biggest issue they're spending nearly 30 million on Copp, Compher, Chiarot, Ghost, Holl and Petry. That is a lot of money for what amounts to 17 point increase over 2 years with a lot of mediocre players.

Reactions: 14ari13

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Caps win makes the craziness of the last 2 night moot. Winning back-to-back dog fights against a lottery team likely would not have spelled playoff success but I'd like to see the Wings back there after many years.

The 7-game bender was the crucial blow to the season but thanks for nothing Boston and Philly.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Man this really hurts. On one hand the heartbreak is so bad I rather would have been in the basement and been out of it way earlier on. On the other hand, it was nice to play meaningful games right until the end.

Probably more than anything else, my dad is pretty sick and was hoping we’d make it just to be able to see one playoff game together at LCA. Oh well.
Sorry to hear about your dad. It's got to be tough. Hopefully you can still find a way to spend some meaningful time together.

DanielMarois

May 25, 2013

They're definitely improving, but the issue is they have been improving with a a lot of vets and a #1C who is getting closer to 30. The question is when they do inevitably insert the younger draft picks in will there be growing pains and by the time they are ready to really contribute where will Larkin be production wise.

Last edited:

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
So we needed a miracle goal to save the season? Unbelievable they scored with 3 seconds left.

Why I wanted Sprong in the lineup. He besides Larkin is the only player who can score goals from nowhere when it isn't even a B chance.

It was an exciting end of the game, but a bit disappointing that we needed their goalie to give up 2-3 sofries to tie the game.

A good coach doesn’t need a perennial playoff roster to implement his system. And the roster is unlikely to dramatically improve next year unless we sign a star FA or some of the GR kids become major contributors.

After two seasons, I don’t understand what Lalonde’s system is or what his strengths are.
Come on, you are around for long enough to know that this was no perennial playoff roster: No starter, at least 1 top 6 forward short and dmen that, for the most part, are miscast and have to play above their head.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Come on, you are around for long enough to know that this was no perennial playoff roster: No starter, at least 1 top 6 forward short and dmen that, for the most part, are miscast and have to play above their head.
A more experienced coach would have gotten this team to play better even with this roster. The Capitals shouldn’t have finished anywhere near Detroit in the standings.

Reactions: FMichael

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad