Post-Game Talk: Game 82: Get The Golf Carts Ready - Ottawa 6 RUINS 1 F - THINK BEFORE POSTING

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Seriously who were the defenseman that they could have brought in to fix it. Other teams had all the leverage. We weren't getting a top pairing Dman w/o giving up the farm, to expect otherwise is unrealistic.

Calm down, where in my post did I talk about bringing in D-men at the deadline.

I knew full well they weren't getting the type of D-help this team needed to make it a viable contender at this year's deadline.

Like many here I was in the Sell Eriksson camp.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
The majority of the players lack the speed to play up tempo hockey. That is not Claude's doing

Morrow, Krug, Cmiller, Liles, Trotman(maybe)

Bergy, Marchy, Pasta, Vatrano, Loui, Bels(hybrid), Acciari, Ferraro, Koko, Griffith.

Its not as clear cut as you think , this roster is moving that way , unfortunately the coaching is not.

shackattack

Dec 9, 2015
Trade for Shattenkirk in summer and get Yandle.See ya Krug K .Miller .Time for change on back end.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Chia did exactly what he was hired to do and that was to make the team an elite team.

Unfortunately he was done in by the salary cap restrictions that the owner demanded.

Fens, I think what got him in trouble was a failure to draft well over several years & a consequent need to overpay to keep decent role players. They went all in on Iggy, knowing the risks.

The Boychuck trade was the nadir, and, in retrospect, the end of the line for this group. I still don't understand how Chiarelli could trade Johnny when he could have alleviated the cap problem by moving other, less valuable players.

I know optimism springs eternal for fans like DKH, but for me, I've had heartburn about this club since the day Chia was fired. I'll shut up about it but continue to believe canning him was a mistake & a power grab.

I honestly question whether Sweeney & Neely, two bright guys I always respected, are up to the job.

Last edited:

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Calm down, where in my post did I talk about bringing in D-men at the deadline.

I knew full well they weren't getting the type of D-help this team needed to make it a viable contender at this year's deadline.

Like many here I was in the Sell Eriksson camp.

As was I ,but even selling Loui wasn't going to help this season, best that could have been done was trading him for assets. If Loui walks it looks bad , but if we traded him for a 2nd and a prospect which was reportedly the going price does make it better ??

whatsbruin

Feb 27, 2002
Central, NY
Someone has posted a quote from Houda from the intermission in the
last Wings game when asked how the Bruins would play the next period, and Houda's response was some thing like make passes D to D and wait for a Wings mistake.

For those that still want Claude here, that is what you will get. That has
been this teams play for quite some time. Claude cannot change, even if you give him the horses. Is that how you want to watch the B's play ?
I suppose if they are winning, then who cares right ? This is why I want a coaching change.

Sure some of Claudes' decisions were head scratchers, but I don't put much blame on him for this year. Good D'men constantly left the team with no talent coming back in.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
As was I ,but even selling Loui wasn't going to help this season, best that could have been done was trading him for assets. If Loui walks it looks bad , but if we traded him for a 2nd and a prospect which was reportedly the going price does make it better ??

Yes, it does. If Loui isn't extended it is bad, bad asset management. It's one thing to lose Horton after a deep playoff run as a contender.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Yes.

It least it shows Sweeney has a plan and isn't going to deviate from that plan.

With the Lucic/Hamilton deals in combination with the trades/non-trades at the deadline, Bruins just look like a rudderless ship.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
It's frustrating to watch this unfold as a fan knowing there's nothing you can do. The incompetence of Sweeney and Neely is going to cost Claude his job and that just isn't right.

It isn't right to these eyes, anyway.

What happens next will be very, very interesting, and will go a long way toward understanding just what we have in these two.

I've held my fire somewhat because it's still relatively early in their stewardship of the team. They've made mistakes, but every club's management does.

What I want to see is how Sweeney and Neely deal with the coaching situation, first and foremost. That will tell me a great deal about their honesty, integrity, and competence.

After that, if it's at all possible to move on from Dennis, DK46, Z, and *maybe* even Rask (contract, attitude, big game performance), I would do so. Loui is gone. Hayes and Connolly should be gone. I have a soft spot for Connolly because I feel like he really tries, and his attitude is good. If Hayes is retained, that tells me mediocrity is acceptable.

An almost total retool of the defense is in order, and Sweeneely better move heaven and earth to get it done. The price will be steep. They better effing find a way.

Last edited:

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Yes.

It least it shows Sweeney has a plan and isn't going to deviate from that plan.

With the Lucic/Hamilton deals in combination with the trades/non-trades at the deadline, Bruins just look like a rudderless ship.

You thank Looch on the long term contracts Chia handed out, this put the Bruins into a precarious cap situation, Someone had to go with large salary. At least teh Bruins got back some decent pieces there.

Hamiltion wanted out , was it an issue with Claude, Boston or management , no idea. But he held all the leverage again at least we picked up some draft picks.

I don't agree with the rudderless ship part, I think the direction and the style this team wants to play has been pretty clearly set by management. I'm also excited about the young prospects on the horizon. I'm anxious about 1 big part of the puzzle the coach . If that piece stays in place I might seeing things your wasy.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen
It isn't right to these eyes, anyway.

What happens next will be very, very interesting, and will go a long way toward understanding just what we have in these two.

I've held my fire somewhat because it's still relatively early in their stewardship of the team. They've made mistakes, but every club's management does.

What I want to see is how Sweeney and Neely deal with the coaching situation, first and foremost. That will tell me a great deal about their honesty, integrity, and competence.

After that, if it's at all possible to move on from Dennis, DK46, Z, and *maybe* even Rask (contract, attitude, big game performance), I would do so. Loui is gone. Hayes and Connolly should be gone. I have a soft spot for Connolly because I feel like he really tries, and his attitude is good. If Hayes is retained, that tells me mediocrity is acceptable.

An almost total retool of the defense is in order, and Sweeneely better move heaven and earth to get it done. The price will be steep. They better effing find a way.

That's why this year was so frustrating. We knew this before the season even started. A change in philosophy is great and all, but nothing was going to change without an overhaul of the D corps. Instead they wasted assets for temporary fixes like Liles, who I liked, but it was too little too late.

Killer B

Honey Badger don't care
Aug 28, 2008
Wisconsin
Likely to be someone who isn't qualified, no other franchise would consider, and likely has ties to Sweeney and Neely, a former teammate perhaps.

Wonder if those Milbury rumblings from last season come to fruition. I shudder at the thought.

Either way I fully expect this board to implode the day Julien's successor is named. Cause I can almost guarantee it will be someone who most here will go WTF.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Adam Oates...

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
If they are smart, they'll hire Dineen.

Bye bye Clode. Good riddance. This was the season to change it up going forward and get a new coach and philosophy. They decided not to. Between that and the D not being addressed ...it was always going to come to this.

Something stinks in that locker room. Where were our leaders today? Hmm? Where was the urgency? The heart?A lot of people thought Lucic was apart of the problem. Funny...we looked exactly like we did last year. Its obvious there's a problem. They didnt want it. They played atrocious at home. Its baffling.

Time to let the passengers go. I want the players who WANT to be here and play hard out there. The young kids got it. Bergeron has it. Everyone else? Toodles.

I'm embarassed and ashamed by this team, the staff, and everyone involved.

Killerbeez

Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Ellsworth, Maine
none
I hate this outcome, but I'd be kidding myself if I didn't believe that this team was going to be worse than it was when we started the season. The talent just isn't there and the kids aren't ready yet to step up. It's been an inconsistent but entertaining season for me.

mashmont

May 27, 2011
Massachusetts
I think with a good defence this team could have easily made some noise in the playoffs.

Chara is going to be what,40 next year? We need top tier D talent which is easier said than done.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
You thank Looch on the long term contracts Chia handed out, this put the Bruins into a precarious cap situation, Someone had to go with large salary. At least teh Bruins got back some decent pieces there.

Hamiltion wanted out , was it an issue with Claude, Boston or management , no idea. But he held all the leverage again at least we picked up some draft picks.

I don't agree with the rudderless ship part, I think the direction and the style this team wants to play has been pretty clearly set by management. I'm also excited about the young prospects on the horizon. I'm anxious about 1 big part of the puzzle the coach . If that piece stays in place I might seeing things your wasy.

Could of kept Lucic. Their paying half his salary anyways They had cash to try and re-sign Eriksson, that could of been used for a Lucic if they wanted. I know which one I'd rather have (Lucic)

Sure Hamilton held their feet to the fire but they panicked and dealt him for picks. No reason why they couldn't of gotten a D-man to help today and picks (probably don't get a 1st back in this scenario). Didn't have to be a world beater or top-tier guy, just a solid 3-4 guy would of gone a long ways to making this team decent now.

That being said I like the depth and quality in the system, and don't think it's all doom and gloom.

I just don't have much confidence Sweeney and Neely are the guys to execute that plan effectively. They sure haven't shown it thus far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad