GDT: Game 81: Wild @ Coyotes 2.0: The Season That Was - 6PM - 4/8/17

cactus shake

Oct 22, 2013
Can't believe I sat through the postgame, nor that I'm kind of glad I did. Love Michalek. Doan is one of those rare characters that makes you glad for caring so much about something as gloriously silly as sport.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The Fella with the Mozarella throws the rest of the team under the bus:

Didn't say anything that everyone with eyeballs hasn't noticed the past four years. Thank goodness coaches don't ever get stale or I'd be worried...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Wow.

Between Cunningham (the real human drama), Doan(the hero), and Michalek(the everyman, who's for sure done) and seeing Hanzal(the former hope), this was about as emotional as it gets in sports for a "meaningless" contest(Thanks Smitty, never change). I'm actually glad I didn't go and got to watch the coverage instead.

Yeesh. Very bittersweet and melancholy feelings.

I'd like Doan back as 4RW on a cheap 1yr and hope a new captain emerges.

Smith...he's good again. I hope he can grow personally. Professionally, he's rounding out I think. The peaks and valleys are a bit smoother. I'm glad for that. He's still a bit of a rectal wart, though. I hope he can iron that out, too.

The broadcast crew...unbearable when we're terrible and enjoyable when the team is. I hope the team can get back to being enjoyable.

Tippett...I hope gets fired on Monday. If he's allowed back for another year, I will wish him the best. I have no faith in him, but I will surrender a little hope if I must.

The franchise...this market can work. This market will work if the right folks run it and we get some damn luck for once. So let's win a lottery or two. Let's get the right dance partner for an ownership team and maybe for a franchise player that can truly turn things around. We need some luck. Here's to hoping we get some. Finally.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
The way Smith played in the first period today, it was like he was already on vacation. So I don't think I buy your premise.

One patented (almost) own goal, on a stupid pass from behind the net. Other than that he was terrific. He had a number of highlight reel saves.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
One patented (almost) own goal, on a stupid pass from behind the net. Other than that he was terrific. He had a number of highlight reel saves.

From my seat, he had as many lamebrained moves as he had highlight-reel saves. In other words, he looked like typical Mike Smith, he of the 2.92 GAA and .914 SVP.

As Nick Boynton says, "Every game with him is an adventure."

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
I'm in the camp that Smith is too often checked out in his own way. I'd love a competent-or-better starter who comes without his poor decision making and hot-headedness.

Anyway, decent show tonight. Pre-game was blah (the THREE hype vids are still too many, and the Red Moon Rising went on far too long [extended pre-game talk in the room?]). Perlini and Murphy were fun to watch. Domi and Duke were too, naturally, though things weren't quite happening for them. One of the better sections of fans I've been in. Hanzal goal, woo.

Gonna miss hockey if that was the Yotes' last here. Would eagerly anticipate my own relocation, hoping it's near a hockey town.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
This game left me feeling weird. Doan, Z, Hanzal, Cunningham, poor OEL, retirement uncertainties, another summer with relocation hanging over our heads, the listless performance by the team, the bandwagon Wild fans...ugh...I don't know, I just feel weird. Hope Doan doesn't retire like that and as rt said, this team needs some luck for once.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
Yeah, Smith played well this year, no denying it. I thought he'd get the MVP award.

But I'm also in the camp against the whole "look at me, I care so much so I'm going to waterboard myself and drink bleach after losses; the others obviously don't care" routine. It's hard for hockey players because it's so ingrained in the culture. Caring doesn't get you far if you don't have the talent to make a pass, as literally demonstrated by Smith himself. That holds true for everyone else. Making comments like Smith's does't help anything. Smith has even went to sports psychologist. He of all people should know.

I also have tired this year of his on-ice antics. He dirtily elbowed a Minnesota in front of the net today. Ok Mike, you win; you clearly care, He deserve the vitriol he gets from other fanbases.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Was surprised Smith didn't get the MVP. No issue with the Vrby pick, but I'd have voted Smitty.

Oh well. Silly awards anyway.

rt

May 13, 2004
This game left me feeling weird. Doan, Z, Hanzal, Cunningham, poor OEL, retirement uncertainties, another summer with relocation hanging over our heads, the listless performance by the team, the bandwagon Wild fans...ugh...I don't know, I just feel weird. Hope Doan doesn't retire like that and as rt said, this team needs some luck for once.

I agree. I don't want Doan going out like that. If he's not sure, he should come back for one last year where he's positive it's his last year so that he can treat it like it's his last the whole time. Give him the exact same contract and bonuses that Vrbata accepted last summer. It's fair and there's precedent.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
So much effing ******** on the main forum appreciation thread on Doaner. Reading it makes me want him back for one final year, at least to go out on better terms.

rt

May 13, 2004
Loook at the straight up good fortunes of the Leafs rebuild. Every single damn thing is weling out perfectly. Now look at us. Duke stalled. Domi hurt. Keller overwhelmed. Strome laying a goose egg in the semi finals. And we just can't win a ****ing lottery to save our lives. The Leafs have done a good job but the good luck is undeniable. We need some.

We need Keller to have a Johnny Hockey rookie season that nobody sees coming. Or we need Domi to explode out of nowhere to be a ppg player. Or we need Strome to suddenly become the player we all hoped he would be by now on his draft day. Or maybe a meteoric rebound from Duke to pop in 30 goals. Or maybe we draft Patrick and it turns out that he just had a really tough year, and he end up looking like the pre-draft year, slam-dunk #1 overall stud who comes in as a rookie and is a lights-out #1 NHL center.

We have to catch a break. Something has to give and soon. We need a buzz. We need excitement and hype. We need positive attention for something for once.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Loook at the straight up good fortunes of the Leafs rebuild. Every single damn thing is weling out perfectly. Now look at us. Duke stalled. Domi hurt. Keller overwhelmed. Strome laying a goose egg in the semi finals. And we just can't win a ****ing lottery to save our lives. The Leafs have done a good job but the good luck is undeniable. We need some.

We need Keller to have a Johnny Hockey rookie season that nobody sees coming. Or we need Domi to explode out of nowhere to be a ppg player. Or we need Strome to suddenly become the player we all hoped he would be by now on his draft day. Or maybe a meteoric rebound from Duke to pop in 30 goals. Or maybe we draft Patrick and it turns out that he just had a really tough year, and he end up looking like the pre-draft year, slam-dunk #1 overall stud who comes in as a rookie and is a lights-out #1 NHL center.

We have to catch a break. Something has to give and soon. We need a buzz. We need excitement and hype. We need positive attention for something for once.

:laugh: So true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad