GDT: [Game #81] Dallas Stars vs. Arizona Coyotes - 7:30 PM CT (BSSWX)

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
I don’t know if this can be proved with statistics but this has to be the most pathetic clinching of a playoff spot ever. Need one point against a historically bad team, get up 3-0, lose 4-3 in OT. I want to be happy about making the playoffs but it ain’t happening right now. Maybe tomorrow.

ZeHockeyFan

Apr 9, 2014
I don’t know if this can be proved with statistics but this has to be the most pathetic clinching of a playoff spot ever. Need one point against a historically bad team, get up 3-0, lose 4-3 in OT. I want to be happy about making the playoffs but it ain’t happening right now. Maybe tomorrow.
This has to be the worst playoff team since they moved to Dallas, would they not be? I don't know if the Stars ever were a -ve GD team heading into playoffs.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
This has to be the worst playoff team since they moved to Dallas, would they not be? I don't know if the Stars ever were a -ve GD team heading into playoffs.

Meh not really. They already have 5 more points than they had in 13-14 ( 91 ) and 3 more than 18-19 ( 93 ) . Most dissapointing maybe because i think if they'd gotten their act together consistently they should've been a 105-110 point team.

Stars have a 40 goal scorer still on his ELC and another 37 goal scorer still really cheap and barely could take advantage of that because their old core is so washed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sports2

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
Well, even if they get swept, it’s still good experience for the young guys to get in and get a feel for the playoffs—I’m thinking especially Oettenger and Robertson. And Gagliardi’s gets a couple games’ worth of revenue.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

Linus Bryksa

Mar 2, 2021
Well, even if they get swept, it’s still good experience for the young guys to get in and get a feel for the playoffs—I’m thinking especially Oettenger and Robertson. And Gagliardi’s gets a couple games’ worth of revenue.
Yeah it will because after this year it will be another 5 years before they get close again! It will prepare them for their new team when they get desperately traded next year because Nill will find another Suter and Radulov that need signing!

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
There’s no trap games in playoffs thankfully. Stars have a good record against good teams . With there conservative system , it basically insures there not gonna get swept . They will manage to squeak atleast a win or 2 and have a decent chance in any series .

Reactions: MBTendy

serp

Jan 17, 2016
What the Stars really need is a few days off before their playoff series starts . Last month and a half they've played every second day with multiple back to backs also thrown in.

With some rest maybe they can regenerate enough really give the Avs/Flames trouble. Maybe it'll help the older players .

Some of them really looking like they're on fumes. They got carried to a playoff spot by the guys in their 20's this year when the old guys got tired . Last year the young guys weren't ready for that this year they were.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
The 13-14 stars were definitely worse. I was literally thinking about that on my drive home yesterday because I have so few playoffs teams to compare to since my time following them. Literally who was on that defense- Daley, Dillon and? Maybe Demers? The offense was probably Whitney Benn Seguin and? Lehtonen and probably Lindback or Bachman?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
The 13-14 stars were definitely worse. I was literally thinking about that on my drive home yesterday because I have so few playoffs teams to compare to since my time following them. Literally who was on that defense- Daley, Dillon and? Maybe Demers? The offense was probably Whitney Benn Seguin and? Lehtonen and probably Lindback or Bachman?

Dcore
Goligoski,
Daley
Gonchar,
Dillon
Benn
Rome
Connaughton

Forwards by scoring
Seguin,
benn,
Eakin
Chiasson
Nichushkin
Garbutt
Whitney

Goalies
Lehtonen
Thomas

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013
The defence consisted of Goligoski, Daley, Dillon, Gonchar, Benn, and Connauton/Rome/Nemeth. Benn and Seguin led the team in scoring, with Goligoski coming in third with 42 points. Chiasson and Eakin were both tied for 4th with 35 points, Val followed them with 34. Kari and Tim Thomas were the goalies.

edit: m88k was quicker

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Dcore
Goligoski,
Daley
Gonchar,
Dillon
Benn
Rome
Connaughton
Were the dcore

Leading scorers
Seguin,
benn,
Eakin
Nichushkin
Garbutt
Whitney

Goalies
Lehtonen
Thomas
Thank you- I tried to do it from memory to see what I could remember! I was a year off respectively on backups. I somehow forgot about Goligoski and Nichushkin. Garbutt and Eakin were top 5 in scoring. What a time to be alive that line was.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Thank you- I tried to do it from memory to see what I could remember! I was a year off respectively on backups. I somehow forgot about Goligoski and Nichushkin. Garbutt and Eakin were top 5 in scoring. What a time to be alive that line was.
Only among forwards was he top5.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
That team isn't great, but man I really miss Ray Whitney, that guy was one of my favorites, not so much as a Dallas Star, but just in general. IIRC he was nearly as ancient as Pavelski is now, except his production fell off a cliff and he retired the year after. That team does look worse on paper, but my memory is fuzzy on how cohesive the team was as a whole, my guess is it couldn't be any more dysfunctional than this one.

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
That team lineup wasn't good, but I feel like they played with more purpose. Eakin and Garbutt are considered shit players but they put up 30-40 points and would play hard night in and night out. Guys now just sleep every second game it feels like? Too many passengers to the top line, why put in an effort when Hintz/Robertson/Pavelski will score and I can just coast and play defense and my coach will be happy.

Reactions: DieselPig

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
The defence consisted of Goligoski, Daley, Dillon, Gonchar, Benn, and Connauton/Rome/Nemeth. Benn and Seguin led the team in scoring, with Goligoski coming in third with 42 points. Chiasson and Eakin were both tied for 4th with 35 points, Val followed them with 34. Kari and Tim Thomas were the goalies.

edit: m88k was quicker
We also need to remember scoring was very down those years. Seguin's 84 points were 4th best in the whole league.

But despite that 13-14 team playing in a more depressed overall scoring era, they only scored one fewer goal than this team. (Yes, I know, this team could go score eight tomorrow to make the gap look bigger.) That team also had more goal scoring down the lineup. It wasn't nearly as concentrated to the top three.

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
That team lineup wasn't good, but I feel like they played with more purpose. Eakin and Garbutt are considered shit players but they put up 30-40 points and would play hard night in and night out. Guys now just sleep every second game it feels like? Too many passengers to the top line, why put in an effort when Hintz/Robertson/Pavelski will score and I can just coast and play defense and my coach will be happy.
That team isn't great, but man I really miss Ray Whitney, that guy was one of my favorites, not so much as a Dallas Star, but just in general. IIRC he was nearly as ancient as Pavelski is now, except his production fell off a cliff and he retired the year after. That team does look worse on paper, but my memory is fuzzy on how cohesive the team was as a whole, my guess is it couldn't be any more dysfunctional than this one.
Don’t get me wrong- I loved that team. They almost took that Anaheim team to a game 7. I was very proud of them. They gave it 100%.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Don’t get me wrong- I loved that team. They almost took that Anaheim team to a game 7. I was very proud of them. They gave it 100%.
Considering what they were compared to the prior several years, you should look back on them fondly. That team was a bolt of fun and hope.

Reactions: mc3488

Linus Bryksa

Mar 2, 2021
How the hell does that happen? Marty Turco could stop a BB all season long but get into the playoffs and there were games he couldn’t stop basketball! Kari Lehtonen was the same for a couple of years but then it all went south and he couldn’t stop anything!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad