GDT: Game 81 | Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | 4/5 7PM

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I've tried not to be too critical of Bobrovsky with how much help he's been to this team in his time here... But, I'm getting REALLY worried about Bobrovsky in net, especially against the Penguins. He had some soft goals again last night. He needs to get it figured out by next week. Not sure what is going on. If Bobrovsky has another awful playoffs this year and we are out in 4-5 games... We may really need to consider our goalie situation in 2019 and beyond. I know people wanted to bench Bobrovsky in the playoffs last year... But, I don't really think that's too much of a viable option with Korpisalo, in my honest opinion.

Not intending to single you out, as it's a common concern. Bob did have some bad goals last year. I didn't feel last night he had a bad night, but some bad puck luck maybe. However, the Penguins do score goals and can make many goaltenders look silly when they are on. They're 4th in the league in goals scored and have 3 of the top 10 points scorers: Malkin (97 pts), Kessel (90) and Crosby (87). They got fortunate from NHL draft many years ago. We're pumped just to have our first 80 point scorer in the history of our organization.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
With a clearer head having purged the disappointment of last night's loss (and focusing more on the playoffs), here's what I came away with from last night's game:
- the top line of 9-18-13 is really good and can play against anyone.
And it's all three of them playing big right now.
- Not that GMJK needs validation on his drafting acumen, but PLD does just that.
- continue to enjoy the chemistry between Boone and Vanek, who sees play development so well and Boone who is capitalizing. It's a pair without great speed, yet they are outshining their allegedly better line-mate
- Loved seeing Andy back. Rusty? Yes. Ready for more? You betcha.
- not sure I've seen a prettier goal followed by an uglier miss by a player in one game....but Matty, I'll remember the pretty one.
- the DMen seemed defensively out of sorts last night. I didn't think any of them played particularly well. (And I don't foresee a JMFJ playoff resurrection this year.)
- missed way to many clearing opportunities, not just in the 3rd but throughout the game.
- Torts reverted to old bad habits last night by abandoning his more recent commitment to Four lines (or even 3 1/2)
- Bob, not good, yet maybe played his best when the "Jackets Shoot Twice" end was basically virgin ice the last 13 minutes.
- in the end the Pens beat us at our own game - OT?
All good points. Especially agree with bolded. Early on D was forcing breakout passes to the center of the ice where a Pitt player was ready to pounce on it. It happened way too many times with a scoring chance for the Pens on most every picked off pass. This has to be stopped or it will sway some upcoming games, I believe.

I know the D wants to make quick transition, but when that transition leads to clean shots on Bob, the better option is to get it out w/out the turnovers by going up the boards or just chipping and avoid the TO. Just has been a sticking point for me in the last little while. Each breakout lends to different options, got to be smarter.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Don't have the patience to do it, but I bet if you look at the distribution of NHL wins (or losses) against specific teams, B's performance against Pens isn't outside the normal range. There's always a randomness factor at work.
That's not the case in terms of stats. In the last three years, Bob's save percentage is UNDER .900 for games against the Pens. GAA (starting 2015) is 3.25, 3.44, and 3.82. Neither are Bob-like numbers......While in past years Pitt has been a high scoring team, it's the low save percentage that jumps out at me.

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
Assuming we see the Pens sometime in the next 3 weeks, we need Bob fitted with specialty glasses that convert the Pens logo into a Flyer!

I know just the thing
giphy.gif

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I'm with DSL... I hate playing these guys and their asshole fan base. I think we can beat them, but we haven't yet, so it's hard to be excited for another series with them.

That being said... Nashville was 1-4 against Chicago last year, losing the last four games of the season series. They then swept the Hawks in the first round...

It's possible. Just hard to get up the faith until they get over that hump. It's like Ric Flair says:
TO BE THE MAN...WOOOOO!... YA GOTTA BEAT THE MAN

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
I'm with DSL... I hate playing these guys and their ******* fan base. I think we can beat them, but we haven't yet, so it's hard to be excited for another series with them.

That being said... Nashville was 1-4 against Chicago last year, losing the last four games of the season series. They then swept the Hawks in the first round...

It's possible. Just hard to get up the faith until they get over that hump. It's like Ric Flair says:
TO BE THE MAN...WOOOOO!... YA GOTTA BEAT THE MAN

I don't hate their fans. They have some good fans but as with any organization that has success you are going to get some dbags too...Looking at you OSU football. I do not like the ones that come into Nationwide and are cocky, arrogant aholes. I have been to over 10 different arenas and can tell you that you are usually treated the way you treat the home fans. Haven't been to a Pens game in Nationwide for years but it used to be bad so I know where you are coming from.

As for Nashville you are absolutely right and nobody will remember the Jackets regular season record but people will remember if the they win a series no matter who they play. All of the teams in the playoffs are good teams (thats why they are in the playoffs) so it doesnt matter who they play in my opinion. Just win a series.

Reactions: Inglewood JMFJ

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
That's not the case in terms of stats. In the last three years, Bob's save percentage is UNDER .900 for games against the Pens. GAA (starting 2015) is 3.25, 3.44, and 3.82. Neither are Bob-like numbers......While in past years Pitt has been a high scoring team, it's the low save percentage that jumps out at me.
Referring to w/l distribution curve of all goalies v each opponent. Not saves nor GAA.

Doesn't matter.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I don't hate their fans. They have some good fans but as with any organization that has success you are going to get some dbags too...Looking at you OSU football. I do not like the ones that come into Nationwide and are cocky, arrogant aholes. I have been to over 10 different arenas and can tell you that you are usually treated the way you treat the home fans. Haven't been to a Pens game in Nationwide for years but it used to be bad so I know where you are coming from.

As for Nashville you are absolutely right and nobody will remember the Jackets regular season record but people will remember if the they win a series no matter who they play. All of the teams in the playoffs are good teams (thats why they are in the playoffs) so it doesnt matter who they play in my opinion. Just win a series.

It's the d-bags that are prevalent and give them a bad name though.

Look at literally any NHL or CBJ thread on Facebook when we play them. Arguably the only teams with worse fans are Philly and Boston, IMO.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

So since Gorten believes we will be fully ready to go, and assuming there will (hopefully) be no injuries in Nashville. What does our Game 1 Lineup look like?

Panarin-PLD-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Milano-Foligno-Bjorkstrand
Calvert-Letestu-Anderson
Dubinsky, Sedlak

Werenski-Jones
Cole-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara
Johnson, Harrington, Chorney

Bob
Korpi

Does this look about right? I think they'll have a hard time sitting Dubi for the playoffs but who do you sit? anderson is going to play. Calvert is going to play. Are they really going to sit Milano or Bjork for Dubi? Hard to validate, but...

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

So since Gorten believes we will be fully ready to go, and assuming there will (hopefully) be no injuries in Nashville. What does our Game 1 Lineup look like?

Panarin-PLD-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Calvert-Letestu-Anderson
Dubinsky, Sedlak

Werenski-Jones
Cole-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara

Bob
Korpi

Does this look about right? I think they'll have a hard time sitting Dubi for the playoffs but who do you sit? anderson is going to play. Calvert is going to play. Are they really going to sit Milano or Bjork for Dubi? Hard to validate, but...

Milano out, Dubinsky in. I actually thought Dubinsky played his best game of the season last night and he has earned the right. Rather have a veteran warrior in, who will at least win some battles, than a guy who may or may not score a goal, depending on time and space.

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH

Panarin-PLD-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Calvert-Letestu-Anderson
Dubinsky, Sedlak

Werenski-Jones
Cole-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara

Bob
Korpi

I could totally see Bjork or Milano sitting if they have a slow first 2 games. Dubies game I think is better suited for the playoffs (assuming we play Pittsburgh). He may not put up points but knows how to get under the penguins skin. A useful skill that's not with it's contract, but seeing as we're paying for it we might as well use it.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
It's the d-bags that are prevalent and give them a bad name though.

Look at literally any NHL or CBJ thread on Facebook when we play them. Arguably the only teams with worse fans are Philly and Boston, IMO.

Agree.

I just spent last week in Western Canada going to CBJ games and there are no fans more welcoming than Western Canadians. It was so nice. We could actually talk hockey without the nonsense. If you ever get a chance to go to games out that way I highly recommend it.

Reactions: Sore Loser

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013

Panarin-PLD-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Calvert-Letestu-Anderson
Dubinsky, Sedlak

Werenski-Jones
Cole-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara

Bob
Korpi

Sonny sits. I just don’t see him as a player that would thrive or even do well at all in a playoff atmosphere. I might bite the bullet saying that but.. it’s just my opinion. Despite playing horribly for most of the year, Dubi played pretty well last night. Thrives against the Pens. If we matchup against the Pens in the first round, there’s absolutely no way Dubi is sitting. I can’t see Bjork sitting, he hasn’t been a healthy scratch all year/maybe ever (IIRC). Calvert has elevated him game as of late. Letestu was brought in for his playoff experience and veteran leadership (thrived in the playoffs with EDM).. Sonny’s the odd man out.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Panarin-PLD-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Calvert-Letestu-Anderson
Dubinsky, Sedlak

Werenski-Jones
Cole-Savard
Murray-Nutivaara

Bob
Korpi

Your line-up card would be mine. I think the key word you included was "but"....

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd sit Bjorkstrand before Milano

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Milano-Foligno-Anderson
Dubinsky-Letestu-Calvert

Z-Jones
Murray-Nuti
Cole-Savard

Reactions: mikeyp24

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Agree.

I just spent last week in Western Canada going to CBJ games and there are no fans more welcoming than Western Canadians. It was so nice. We could actually talk hockey without the nonsense. If you ever get a chance to go to games out that way I highly recommend it.

Would love to, but I have three daughters. All under 9... I'm very busy and they don't think hockey is a good way to spend our vacation time and money, haha. When Seattle gets a team that's a cheap, easy trip. I'll be at every CBJ game there, without question.

Not to derail the thread, but to continue on with what you're saying: our WHL team won a Memorial Cup back in 2008. Every other US division team booed our guys, but the next fall when we went to any Canadian city, their teams had a presentation and gave our guys plaques, banners and the like.

We went up the road to Cranbrook to see them play the season opener. Cranbrook is a really small town, something line 14,000 people. Their fans were awesome, I couldn't walk 10 feet without a high five or a handshake. Didn't buy a single concession that night with my own money.

I have friends in Calgary and have traveled there. You are correct -- great people all over out here, really makes for a neat atmosphere.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd sit Bjorkstrand before Milano

Panarin-Dubois-Atkinson
Jenner-Wennberg-Vanek
Milano-Foligno-Anderson
Dubinsky-Letestu-Calvert

Z-Jones
Murray-Nuti
Cole-Savard
I would sit Wennberg, before I sit either Milano , who 8th on the team in goal scoring , or Bjorkstrand , who’s 10th on the team . Both guys bring a lot of speed, and ability to score goals .

Wennberg has 2 points in his last 7 games .

And if Bob becomes playoff Bob like last night , we will need all the goals we can get

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I would sit Wennberg, before I sit either Milano , who 8th on the team in goal scoring , or Bjorkstrand , who’s 10th on the team . Both guys bring a lot of speed, and ability to score goals .

Wennberg has 2 points in his last 7 games .

And if Bob becomes playoff Bob like last night , we will need all the goals we can get

Don’t be ridiculous. Wennberg needs to be in the lineup because of our lack of center depth.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The notion that Dubinsky is somehow particularly suited to playing against Pittsburgh because he’s physical and gets under their skin is way off. Simply beating on the Pens isn’t going to get it.

That said, I agree Dubi plays. As long as he just plays his game without getting lost in ‘getting under their skin’ or ‘sending a message’ I think he can ge effective in a playoff setting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad