GDT: Game 81: Caps @ Isles | 4/28/22 | 7:00p ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I guess there's maybe some logic to going big or going home in Round 1. It probably doesn't matter either way and, mostly, I doubt there's actual method at play recently. They just haven't had it. They don't really have much pacing or layering. They're either engaged and feeling it or not with not a whole lot in between. It's too fickle to believe in it clicking against deeper teams. They're just not that good.

They have some good pieces to build around. The top four is fine. The fourth line is good. Their wingers are individually pretty good. The fits are maybe another question but it's the center position and goaltending that stand out most as being substandard. Hard to overcome those areas when it matters even with the requisite buy-in.
“Puncher’s chance”…..been saying it all year.

Reactions: troyerlaw

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
I guess there's maybe some logic to going big or going home in Round 1. It probably doesn't matter either way and, mostly, I doubt there's actual method at play recently. They just haven't had it. They don't really have much pacing or layering. They're either engaged and feeling it or not with not a whole lot in between. It's too fickle to believe in it clicking against deeper teams. They're just not that good.

They have some good pieces to build around. The top four is fine. The fourth line is good. Their wingers are individually pretty good. The fits are maybe another question but it's the center position and goaltending that stand out most as being substandard. Hard to overcome those areas when it matters even with the requisite buy-in.
Preach good sir.

Reactions: troyerlaw

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Guys, always remember the January-February stretch. And be happy that we will have at least 4 more games.

BTW if we have to lose against FLA we won't be annoyed by their fans.
You can't be annoyed by something that don't exist :sarcasm:
Foreal. Rangers fans are terrible, idk if I’d be able to handle this forum if we lost to them.

Reactions: Neil Racki

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
4D638451-CFCE-4F86-948A-C2C36655B471.png

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I did not expect anything good from the last few games. It's just running out the clock.

And if the Rongos are resting everyone we should be, too. As much as possible. Zero hits and blocks on the night. Ignore the stats. Get it over with.

Reactions: max21

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I did not expect anything good from the last few games. It's just running out the clock.

And if the Rongos are resting everyone we should be, too. As much as possible. Zero hits and blocks on the night. Ignore the stats. Get it over with.
At this point I agree. I would have liked to have seen a nice few solid games to get a running start into the playoffs, maybe get the third seed. But now just have Hershey play the rags because who cares.

Reactions: g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
At this point I agree. I would have liked to have seen a nice few solid games to get a running start into the playoffs, maybe get the third seed. But now just have Hershey play the rags because who cares.

Also keeping in mind what happened last year, with several key players getting bad knocks in the last week or two before the playoffs. Seeing Ovie go down like that had to stall all momentum and any thought of trying to hit the playoffs with a surge.

Bubble of invulnerability burst. Especially given how many injuries they've had to deal with all f***ing season.

Just get healthy and run with what's in the tank come playoff time. I think they did enough in March to understand HOW to play and WHO fits with whom.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Agreed. In retrospect, it woulda been better to rest most of the vets and have the young'uns play these final 2 games. Don't know whether the Bears' schedule made them want to keep a few of the nearly-ready-for-the-bigs guys down there. Still, the lackadaisical effort last night shows how wrong it was to keep the vets in the lineup. If Lavi doesn't know which skaters he should dress for G1, these last games are not going to reveal much. Reminds me of last-minute cramming for tests or exams ... rarely helpful for the immediate need and of no long-term benefit whatsoever.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
The organization has always been prone to flabbiness otherwise they'd have more than one Cup in the last 15 years.

They're still talking about a Cup win 4 years ago while superior franchises, i.e. Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Detroit put their wins aside immediately.

When they are eliminated for the fourth year in a row in the 1st round and GMBM is still employed you'll know I'm right.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Do Chicago, Los Angeles & Detroit really put their wins aside immediately? Recent history suggests not. All have had management turnover. Pittsburgh also hasn't achieved much in the playoffs lately. They too haven't won a series since 2018.

The Caps mainly just don't want to make the hard decisions needed to operate with calculating and unsentimental foresight. It's the fundamental obstacle after finally winning a Cup. They're loathe to break up the core pieces if it can be avoided, particularly the top PP unit as they continue the pursuit of 895. They also haven't really upped their complementary game as a realistic means of compensating for inevitable declines.

Goaltending and Backstrom's injury are set up to be primary excuses. Maybe they'll give up the farm for a goaltender. I wouldn't doubt it. Solving the center issue will probably prove to be much more elusive. Should they get bounced early I don't know that a lame duck season for Lavi is a great dynamic to have either.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Do Chicago, Los Angeles & Detroit really put their wins aside immediately? Recent history suggests not. All have had management turnover. Pittsburgh also hasn't achieved much in the playoffs lately. They too haven't won a series since 2018.

The Caps mainly just don't want to make the hard decisions needed to operate with calculating and unsentimental foresight. It's the fundamental obstacle after finally winning a Cup. They're loathe to break up the core pieces if it can be avoided, particularly the top PP unit as they continue the pursuit of 895. They also haven't really upped their complementary game as a realistic means of compensating for inevitable declines.

Goaltending and Backstrom's injury are set up to be primary excuses. Maybe they'll give up the farm for a goaltender. I wouldn't doubt it. Solving the center issue will probably prove to be much more elusive. Should they get bounced early I don't know that a lame duck season for Lavi is a great dynamic to have either.
Pittsburgh has had recent management turn over so there has been a response to their performance.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Honestly, 895 will happen regardless of who Ovi has as linemates at ES or on the PP. They need to worry less about that and more about overall team performance.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pittsburgh has had recent management turn over so there has been a response to their performance.
Rutherford wasn't fired, though, right? He resigned. Eventually the Caps will be forced to pivot but I don't think a sweep gets them there quite yet. Missing the playoffs next season would do it but even then I'm not sure MacLellan is in any danger. This is Leonsis we're talking about.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The organization has always been prone to flabbiness otherwise they'd have more than one Cup in the last 15 years.

They're still talking about a Cup win 4 years ago while superior franchises, i.e. Tampa Bay, Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Detroit put their wins aside immediately.

When they are eliminated for the fourth year in a row in the 1st round and GMBM is still employed you'll know I'm right.
Right about what?

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Got home drunk after a rough week and was expecting entertainment if not commitment. I did get 6 goals but Vanecek was alright and no real gaffes anywhere just really low effort levels. Stanley Cup 2022 here we go!

Btw, serious question: What are the best odds i can get for a Washington Capitals Stanley Cup win? If i bet a 100 bucks will i make a significant profit if they win or do i have like 20 dollars to gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad