GDT: Game #80 Vs Buffalo ( Elias returns edition )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Totally meaningless game so a loss doesn't bother me one iota.

But, the Pansy power play was a disgrace again.
They couldn't even got shots off.

Palms with another bad outing.
He's gripping the stick too tight to try to get 30.

WTF did Sevs do on the 2bd goal?

Enough of Kalinin on the pp.

Can't blame Cory but if Kink let them in he would be roasted.

Good to see Patty playing again.

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
Patty played well. I wanna see him with Henrique and Kennedy next game.

Elias-Henrique-Kennedy
Boucher-Zajac-Palmieri
Blandisi-Josefson-DSP
Kalinin-Gionta-Pietila

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Sislo got owned on the ENG.

But he also inadvertently blocked a Devils shot & then carried the puck.out of our offensive zone.

Time to just send him back to Albany and let him get used to playing with a few linemates before the playoffs.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Can't blame Cory but if Kink let them in he would be roasted.

Both goals were stoppable IMO.

First one was a good shot, but he could have had it. It would have maybe even hit him in the shoulder if he didn't give so much of the short side.

Second goal looked like a shot that beat Marty plenty throughout his career, through the hole between the arm and body on the blocker side. Dano and Steve started to speculate that maybe this puck was tipped by Henrique or something. I don't know, I turned the game off for good after that. I think they were just surprised it beat him 7 hole, and it probably didn't deflect.

This is only the second game this season where I counted Cory allowing 2 bad goals in one game. The other one was against Calgary in November. By my count, Cory has allowed 4 or 5 more bad goals than Kinkaid this year, in about 35 more games played.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
First goal was a rocket off the back bar, it was perfect placement over the shoulder, second goal was a double deflection. Hard to blame him on those and would not call them bad goals.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

But he also inadvertently blocked a Devils shot & then carried the puck.out of our offensive zone.

Time to just send him back to Albany and let him get used to playing with a few linemates before the playoffs.

None of these fringe call ups have earned a roster spot for next year, if I had to make the decision. Pietilla is the only one I'd give another look, and maybe one day I'll be able to spell his name correctly. I would give Mozik another look too, if there's injuries. Sure beats #47 and he's looked better than Helgeson for the most part. Too small a sample size for both players though.

Don't want any of Sislo, Helgeson, Warsofsky, ever sniffing the ice in a full time role for this club.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
First goal was a rocket off the backbar, it was perfect placement over the shoulder, second goal was a double deflection. Hard to blame him on those.

On the first one, this is the kind of goal even Marty would be roasted for giving up in his twilight years. That looked like Marty in the MacLean year when his glove was painfully slow for some reason. I understand that the glove is not a strength of a butterfly goalie like Cory though. If the second goal was definitely deflected, I'll take that off the count.

By my count though and that's with goal 2 coming off, Cory has allowed about 21 or 22 bad/stoppable goals all year and has allowed 121 goals in total. That's a VERY low percentage of bad ones scored against him. Just 17% or 18% of total goals allowed. That's absolutely lower than league average by quite a bit, which is why he's a way above average (elite) goaltender.

Whereas Kinkaid's bad goals represent about 30%-33% of total goals he's allowed on the season. That's not good enough. You take away about a handful or a half dozen of these bad goals, Kinkaid is a .915 goaltender like last year.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey

The AHL is calling for Sislo, for sure. It's where he belongs, not trying to stay above water in a league clearly above his head.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The AHL is calling for Sislo, for sure. It's where he belongs, not trying to stay above water in a league clearly above his head.
Yes but he brings shots on goal and is a good possession player tho.

And for all the talk about how great of a possession player Sislo is, he has one of the worst corsi ratings on the team. I realize corsi on this team is deceiving, as the team is so bad at offense that almost everyone has a negative rating and is on the ice for more attempts against than for. Even Andy Greene is one of the worst on the team in that regard. But Sislo is not very good. Good AHL player, NHL call up fodder at best.
It was not a fun game to watch but, get this, Ocho Cinco of all players called us a "boring team". :facepalm:
This is very low on my list of annoyances of last night's game, but I think it's hilarious that he got the games first star. He might have actually had an easier night than Ben Bishop did on Saturday. I don't take any goaltender seriously that plays great against this team, because they're so bad at offense it's not even worth a laugh. Mike Sislo, Sergey Kalinin and Jacob Josefson ALL in the top 9?

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Yes but he brings shots on goal and is a good possession player tho.

And for all the talk about how great of a possession player Sislo is, he has one of the worst corsi ratings on the team. I realize corsi on this team is deceiving, as the team is so bad at offense that almost everyone has a negative rating and is on the ice for more attempts against than for. Even Andy Greene is one of the worst on the team in that regard. But Sislo is not very good. Good AHL player, NHL call up fodder at best.

This is very low on my list of annoyances of last night's game, but I think it's hilarious that he got the games first star. He might have actually had an easier night than Ben Bishop did on Saturday. I don't take any goaltender seriously that plays great against this team, because they're so bad at offense it's not even worth a laugh. Mike Sislo, Sergey Kalinin and Jacob Josefson ALL in the top 9?

I can't believe you missed that last minute when we pulled Cory and Sislo was the extra attacked. One of the worst sequences and shifts I've seen in a long time, you have to see it if you can.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I can't believe you missed that last minute when we pulled Cory and Sislo was the extra attacked. One of the worst sequences and shifts I've seen in a long time, you have to see it if you can.

It must have been pretty bad, it might have even got that jabroni put on waivers today.:laugh:

The sad thing is that Sislo is actually on pace for just two points fewer over 82 games than Jacob Josefson is in 82 games this season. And 5 more points than Sergey Kalinin is on pace for the whole season. Two of our 3rd liners this year.:help:

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
It must have been pretty bad, it might have even got that jabroni put on waivers today.:laugh:

The sad thing is that Sislo is actually on pace for just two points fewer over 82 games than Jacob Josefson is in 82 games this season. And 5 more points than Sergey Kalinin is on pace for the whole season. Two of our 3rd liners this year.:help:

I don't think Sislo is horribly bad but it just sucks and it's extremely frustrating that none of these guys have stepped up and really taken advantage of all these opportunities they've gotten to play.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think Sislo is horribly bad but it just sucks and it's extremely frustrating that none of these guys have stepped up and really taken advantage of all these opportunities they've gotten to play.

I think he'd be better than Tootoo or Ruutu as a 4th liner, it's just that they seem like they're trying way too hard to squeeze his AHL offensive prowess out at the NHL level and it's really not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad