GDT: Game 80: Red Wings at leafs 7:00 pm et 4/13/24 (BSD, ESPN+)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I just reposted the graphic they had on the screen right after the Wings win, had the Caps, Wings at 87 points currently. Wings have 39 wins, Caps have 38 wins. I'm not great with figuring the math so I can't confirm their percentages.

Caps have more RW so they have the tiebreaker no matter what.

Reactions: MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Caps have more RW so they have the tiebreaker no matter what.
Yeah i'm getting that now. I was looking at it logically and taking wins for wins and losses for losses, if they both win out, Wings basically finish 41-41 and Caps 40-42 but the Caps still get in over the Wings seems pretty shit. This factors into the whole loser point system and whatnot which i've never really been a fan of.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Yeah i'm getting that now. I was looking at it logically and taking wins for wins and losses for losses, if they both win out, Wings basically finish 41-41 and Caps 40-42 but the Caps still get in over the Wings seems pretty shit. This factors into the whole loser point system and whatnot which i've never really been a fan of.

Then check out NYI, they have even less wins, but 4 more pts.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
If Boston beats Washington and we beat Montreal x2 we are in.
They hold their own destiny now with the B's 6-4 win just have to win both games against Montreal which is possibly but makes me super nervous. At least they are facing Matthews again. Hate to admit it but damn the guy is dangerous.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
They hold their own destiny now with the B's 6-4 win just have to win both games against Montreal which is possibly but makes me super nervous. At least they are facing Matthews again. Hate to admit it but damn the guy is dangerous.
They don't control their own destiny. If Washington win their 2 remaining games, the wings are out no matter what.

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022

No. they need 4 points and the Caps need 3 or less.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
On the plus side, Montreal is battling like 4 other teams for their draft slot so they have every incentive to lose those games.
Maybe they rest of some their better players who may or may not be nursing small injuries? They also have some prospects h they may want to give a bit of NHL experience too.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Reliable goaltending makes huge difference...
Indeed. The goaltending has been mediocre to ok all season long expect the hot streak by Lyon. We need a bit better goaltending.
5-2 Wings, let's GO boys. I'm sick of watching other teams in playoffs. Just win.
We scored 5
Gonna call a 5-3 wings win
Larkin
Compher
 Debrincat
Seider
Kane(en)
Good call
What the hell? I could have scored there

Lol biggest empty net you’ll ever score with a goalie in the crease.
I have never seen that much net open. I still think it is good to be aggressive sometimes
How is this goalie on a roster
He is 7-2 in his last 9, Lyon is 1-10.
I won't be surprised if he starts the next one.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Just watched the game and WOOOOO!
Big, BIG win. Seider showed that nasty side that I love to see and the boys held it together after blowing that three goal lead. Was a nail biter, but love that anxious feeling that comes with playoff hockey. I'm hungry for more. Take care of business vs Montreal and the rest will take care of itself.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Long day and night of gaming, grilling, and yakking with friends. After my buddy left at 3am I thought - "I'll watch the game and finish my cigar and see what happens."

What a ride! Still in it to win it!

Funny part was when I was selecting the game on the ESPN+ menu I caught a thumbnail below the main games saying "Kane wins it in OT". So I thought I might be in for a long bit of painful awful. Then the 1st period happened and it's 4-ish and I thought "Hell, I'll pour a drink to celebrate - that thumbnail must have been a clip from the Chicago game."

Then the 2d period happened and I thought "Oh. I guess that WAS from tonight's game" and settled in hoping for OT. Then in OT I kept watching Kane and instead it's D-Boss! Woohoo!

Now it's 6:15am. I think I'll hit the sack for a bit.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Wings have a way to make playoffs even if Washington matches them in winning final two games. Caps and Wings both have tiebreaker over NYI. so NYI (in that scenario) would also need to get more than one point from their final two games to clinch Metro 3. If they lose both in regulation, Wings could get in with 3 points from final two, unless Pittsburgh also gets to 90 points and beats them both out for WC2. I think I have that right.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad