GDT: Game 80: Columbus vs. Winnipeg | 4/6 7PM

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Pens in 5. Take out the streak and we aren't even close to a playoff team. We go .500 during the steak and we are a lottery team.

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
The team is clearly regressing to the mean. We overachieved all year with a moderate amount of talent and an all-star goalie. Will very likely be a 5 game series coming up with the Pens. Great regular season though, relevant to this team's short history.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Honestly.

Does no one see that a goalie with a .930 save percentage can lead a team to the promised land?

Relax. The Penguins can be had.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Honestly.

Does no one see that a goalie with a .930 save percentage can lead a team to the promised land?

Relax. The Penguins can be had.

Sure, just put Bob out there and forget the rest of the team. They are just window dressing.

Yes, we can beat the Pens. Yes, we can get stomped by the Pens.

Right now, we suck. Not a great way to enter the playoffs, but here we are.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
If we didn't have Harrington/Quincy then Jarmo would have acquired other #6/#7 dmen

God help us if Werenski doesn't come back for the playoffs, Harrington is so over his head he's drowning. Never thought I would ever be hoping Murray comes back

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Nah. We'd be around where NYR are.

How do you figure? I said if we went .500 during the streak, that's 16 points out, so we would be at 90, 3 points out of the playoffs. I'm afraid we all may have drank the early season kool-aid of the unknown Werenski and the can't miss PP. now teams have solved our PP and beat on Werenski and he's ineffective and we are just mediocre. Cam was a product of the PP, once they figured that out, he was a borderline second line player. I'm afraid Pitt is going to beat us badly

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How do you figure? I said if we went .500 during the streak, that's 16 points out, so we would be at 90, 3 points out of the playoffs. I'm afraid we all may have drank the early season kool-aid of the unknown Werenski and the can't miss PP. now teams have solved our PP and beat on Werenski and he's ineffective and we are just mediocre. Cam was a product of the PP, once they figured that out, he was a borderline second line player. I'm afraid Pitt is going to beat us badly

Well I assumed by .500 you didn't actually literally mean .500. If we went .500 in that time period we would be playing desperate hockey in January and February and not coasting like we did. But we won't talk about that because thats far too many variables. I have called this team average all year (except in October, when I said they were terrible), not to toot my own horn. But yes we were all riding the highs and now we're cliff jumping on the lows. Its expected.

They probably will. But we are still in a better spot than what we were expected to be. Take the bad with the good and move forward. We're not playing terribly, but we are inconsistent.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Pens in 5. Take out the streak and we aren't even close to a playoff team. We go .500 during the steak and we are a lottery team.

Haha nope.

Take out their 16 straight victories and they have a record of 33-23-8. That prorates over 82 games to 95 points, which would have clinched by now.

And are we taking out every teams longest streak or just the Jackets?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

You're adding in games at .500 - and .500 is not a playoff pace. If you just prorate the other games that the Jackets have played you get 95 points, and I don't think they'd be coasting like this if they hadn't clinched ages ago.

You also called Cam a borderline 2nd line player outside of the PP. His 29 5 on 5 pts ranks 90th among league forwards. So borderline first line, actually.

I think you should stop making statements that can be checked with stats. Stick with subjective things, I'll leave you alone.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I think the fact that these guys managed to go on a 16 game winning streak shows that they are a legitimate force.

This current losing streak is because of a lack of offense and they managed to score 4 goals today, so hopefully things will be back on track soon.

Not doomsday yet. If we get Bob back in the net, and the offense popping in goals like earlier in the year we will beat the Pens.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So... who's gonna stand up and sugar coat this one...?

Sure, I said before the game I don't care who wins I just want the forwards to relearn how to score. And they did at least for a moment. I'm confident that the team knows how to play defense and that Bob is good - though we saw neither tonight. I wasn't sure they knew how to score anymore.

This is the kind of statement your company makes right before you get laid off

Thanks but I actually believe it. I posted pessimistic things after the previous losses and now I feel there is less to worry about.

The points don't matter when they're already locked into starting in Pittsburgh. You'd be surprised at how many cup-winning teams bombed down their last stretch of regular season games.

God help us if Werenski doesn't come back for the playoffs, Harrington is so over his head he's drowning. Never thought I would ever be hoping Murray comes back

Can someone explain what Harrington is doing that makes you so concerned? He looks to me like a strong, technically excellent defender, and he's got good results in terms of low goals against.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
To me Quincey has looked like the Kyle Quincey we were told about after the trade since Z's injury, as in not good. Harrington is fine.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Jones looked the worst to me tonight. Bad pinching, and also got burned by Perreault. Maybe rest him before the playoffs. I might have missed a shift but Harry looked great to me. He's been jumping up into the play and getting back very quickly.

EdwardG

Let's Dance!
Mar 17, 2009
Columbus
Korpisalo: like the guy's demeanor and he's athletically good, but man, it seems like he is always flopping around and out of control.... I'm no goalie expert but this guy just seems like he has some issues with fundamentals.

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You're adding in games at .500 - and .500 is not a playoff pace. If you just prorate the other games that the Jackets have played you get 95 points, and I don't think they'd be coasting like this if they hadn't clinched ages ago.

You also called Cam a borderline 2nd line player outside of the PP. His 29 5 on 5 pts ranks 90th among league forwards. So borderline first line, actually.

I think you should stop making statements that can be checked with stats. Stick with subjective things, I'll leave you alone.

You're overthinking this, we won 16, .500 would have been 8-8, so you simply subtract out 16 points and we would be at 90 points. I'm just saying the streak was ridiculously out of the ordinary for any team in history, so if we played like we have since the streak, .500, then we would be out again. I'm as guilty as anyone maping the parade route out too early. I think Torts started to see this towards the end of the streak, he looked a little panicked after a few of the last wins and he could see it coming.

Cam has been invisible for weeks, dig out whatever stats you want. How about this, I don't know the answer but I'm curious, what are his stats in big games, Pitt, Chi, Wash, NYR, I'm curious what he did when it was a big boy game. I'm willing to bet his stats aren't great.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I watched the game from the top of 203 and what stood out was the incredible number of odd man rushes Winnipeg had. They had a 5 on 2 that they didn't manage to get a shot on. Although Korpisalo didn't play well, if the Jets had been a bit sharper on their odd man rushes, the score could have been pretty ugly regardless of the goaltending. While the team needed to do something to ramp up the offense, it can't play that lax defensively in order to generate sufficient offense.

Jones had a really, really bad showing. The forwards as a group were highly deficient on the backcheck.

Also, Trouba (the 9th pick of the 2012 draft) had as many goals last night as the 2nd overall pick of that same draft has had in 60 games this season.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You're overthinking this, we won 16, .500 would have been 8-8, so you simply subtract out 16 points and we would be at 90 points. I'm just saying the streak was ridiculously out of the ordinary for any team in history, so if we played like we have since the streak, .500, then we would be out again. I'm as guilty as anyone maping the parade route out too early. I think Torts started to see this towards the end of the streak, he looked a little panicked after a few of the last wins and he could see it coming. .

.500 is an 82 pt pace. Outside of the streak the Jackets have played at a 95 pt pace. If you remove every teams best win streak (which hurts the Jackets the most), the Jackets are still one of the better teams.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217

lol ... you're not alone in that thought. Buddy and I have been saying the same thing regarding Murray :laugh:

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
The worst part of that game is that it took me almost 4 hours to get home. Which makes me extra grumpy today. Glad the offense woke up, but the defense took a nap.

Korpi is also just bad. He didn't have good number with the Monsters either. He had a decent stretch last year when he was called up, and paired with Forsberg's struggles in the bigs, got the job by default.

Sat behind Korpi 2 out of 3 periods. He doesn't track pucks very well. I noticed how many pucks he just flat out doesn't see. His lateral movement on Trouba's first goal was pathetic. It was like the NHL 17 goal when the goalie drops to his knees and then tries to slide over. Granted the D did give up a lot of chances, but he doesn't make nearly enough big saves as a potential starter should.

I'm tired and annoyed since I didn't get home til 2am and now get to sit at my desk all day. The least the team could've done would be win the last home game of the year for those who can't afford playoff tix. :laugh:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
.500 is an 82 pt pace. Outside of the streak the Jackets have played at a 95 pt pace. If you remove every teams best win streak (which hurts the Jackets the most), the Jackets are still one of the better teams.

I'm not sure I can explain this any easier. I said .500 DURING THE STREAK, I.e. If we went 8-8 instead of 16-0 and the rest of the season was the same. My point, that streak was like haleys comet and if you take that and make it a reasonable record during that time, we are fighting for a playoff spot, not sitting at 3. We are more like a wild card team that got lucky for a few weeks and we will be exposed, like we have been since the streak ended, in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad