GDT: Game 80: Canucks @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ+

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Next year we will add Strome, maybe Keller and maybe who ever we draft this year.

Strome is going to be our biggest piece of trade bait, IMO. He may not even be with the franchise by next camp. If not, he would have to have the best camp of his life to make the roster, and if he does it's nearly guaranteed he'll be shuttled back and forth between here and Tucson intermittently all season.

If the team is smart, Keller will be in the AHL all of next year.

Whoever we draft in the first round this summer will likely either be going back to junior or staying in college. I'd say that even if we got #1 overall.

That's why I continue to push for a resigning of Hanzal.

If we have Martin Hanzal as our 1C, we're going to have a lot of problems on the ice.

We have great youngsters this year but not the "Leaf" type quality young guys who can make us winners next year.

Yes. What we have is a core of good youngsters. Not superstars, but good players. In order for a team like that to succeed, you need good or great veterans around them. So Chayka has his work cut out for him in free agency - that is, if he has any budget to work with at all, which he really doesn't - and on the trade market.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Until we get our arena issues settled, superstars aren't coming here either through trade or free agency.

We got a good core of youngsters, but with Doaner (hopefully) finally hanging up his skates, Chayka needs to acquire a couple of useful veterans to compliment the young guys and provide some leadership. We can't just resign Vrbata and call it a day. There are affordable options out there.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Strome is going to be our biggest piece of trade bait, IMO. He may not even be with the franchise by next camp. If not, he would have to have the best camp of his life to make the roster, and if he does it's nearly guaranteed he'll be shuttled back and forth between here and Tucson intermittently all season.

If the team is smart, Keller will be in the AHL all of next year.

Whoever we draft in the first round this summer will likely either be going back to junior or staying in college. I'd say that even if we got #1 overall.

If we have Martin Hanzal as our 1C, we're going to have a lot of problems on the ice.

Yes. What we have is a core of good youngsters. Not superstars, but good players. In order for a team like that to succeed, you need good or great veterans around them. So Chayka has his work cut out for him in free agency - that is, if he has any budget to work with at all, which he really doesn't - and on the trade market.

I think it would be a mistake to trade Strome without knowing what he can bring. I think he makes the team next year and he may follow the path that DVO did this year. I believe that Keller will start the year in the AHL, and whom ever we draft this year will be back in junior. What I have being saying, it that Strome, Keller and this years pick may be the best players of the bunch. As far a veteran leadership we have Richardson, OEL, Gogo, Schenn, Smith and maybe Vrbata. That is 25% of the team. How many do you want? We are rebuilding not contending for the cup. I think we may add another veteran D if possible. I don't believe Hanzal is coming back.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Until we get our arena issues settled, superstars aren't coming here either through trade or free agency.

We got a good core of youngsters, but with Doaner (hopefully) finally hanging up his skates, Chayka needs to acquire a couple of useful veterans to compliment the young guys and provide some leadership. We can't just resign Vrbata and call it a day. There are affordable options out there.

Like I just posted. How many vets do you want? Starting next year 25% of our team will be vets. The past two years you guys have been saying "play the kids" when it was apparent they were not ready, and now the kids are maturing and taking over from the vets, you want more vets. I think we may add another veteran for our D which is clearly a weakness. I guess it would all depend on your definition of a veteran. Superstars are rarely available, and we are in no position to take on that kind of salary anyway.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Like I just posted. How many vets do you want? Starting next year 25% of our team will be vets. The past two years you guys have been saying "play the kids" when it was apparent they were not ready, and now the kids are maturing and taking over from the vets, you want more vets. I think we may add another veteran for our D which is clearly a weakness. I guess it would all depend on your definition of a veteran. Superstars are rarely available, and we are in no position to take on that kind of salary anyway.

You're more than free to review at my post history on this subject. I've never been in an either/or camp so don't reduce me to that. There needs to be a mix. And as stated before I think Crouse needs to start in Tucson next year.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

When does a player become a vet? Next year Domi, Ducalir, and Martinook will be in their 3rd year...vet status?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think it would be a mistake to trade Strome without knowing what he can bring.

Believe it or not, I happen to agree with you. I was one of the loudest guys in the room about drafting Strome to start with, and I don't think we can afford to give up on him so early given what he could be if he pans out like we expected he would.

That said, I am not Dave Tippett, nor am I the GM of this team, and those two guys are the ones doing the asset management on this team. They decide who the core is and which pieces are untouchable and which are movable. And I think they both believe that Strome is a movable piece with the right deal, particularly if it gets us a Trouba-style 1RHD.

As far a veteran leadership we have Richardson, OEL, Gogo, Schenn, Smith and maybe Vrbata. That is 25% of the team. How many do you want? We are rebuilding not contending for the cup. I think we may add another veteran D if possible. I don't believe Hanzal is coming back.

Schenn is almost guaranteed to be poached in the expansion draft, so don't count on him being here. Smith is not a leader. A good room guy, maybe, but not a leader. We need to find a Ray Whitney or Adrian Aucoin type to galvanize this team - guys who aren't just veterans but who can provide a steadying influence on the young guys on their level. Richardson is a good veteran presence but he's a fourth-line guy, a grinder.

It's not about contending for the Stanley Cup. It's about teaching these kids good habits while they're on the ice in games and letting them develop - coaches can't do that because they're behind the bench. Sure, we could go out and pick up as many "veteran" players as we want, but they're not quality veterans. And that's what we need to target - quality, not quantity.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
You're more than free to review at my post history on this subject. I've never been in an either/or camp so don't reduce me to that. There needs to be a mix. And as stated before I think Crouse needs to start in Tucson next year.

Agreed. I don't think a player of three years should be considered a vet. There have been plenty of players who play in the league for three years, but just never quite get consistent enough to become full-time useful NHL'rs (look at Yakupov and even Burmi - although he may be turning it around).

Out of next years projected lineup I'd sat all of Gologoski, Vrby, OEL, Richardson, and then to a lesser extent McGinn and Schenn could be considered vets. Vrby may not sign, and one of Richardson, Schenn and McGinn will be taken in expansion. Murphy and Reider are getting pretty close to vet status.

I like the idea of keeping Crouse down in Tucson and adding someone like Eaves or Stafford in free agency. Bonino would be an interesting add for center depth as well.

Domi-Burmi-Duke
Reider-Dvo-Vrby
Perlini-Bonino-Stafford or Eaves
Martinook-Richardson-X

I also like the idea of trying to get Green for OEL's partner. Could be a nice placeholder until we can evaluate our center and winger prospects better to make a larger move for a top RHD.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
My goodness, the only knock on Strome is that he's not McEichel. My point is that he's too raw to come into the NHL as a 1C. Hanzal is an excellent stopgap and he would allow us to avoid trading the farm for a 1C like Duchenne while Strome matures into a 1C.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I'm not reducing you, whatever that means. I just stating my opinion, just as you are yours. I think we have enough leadership, with players like Domi and DVO taking a more prominent role. It would not surprise me if we added a vet D.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
My goodness, the only knock on Strome is that he's not McEichel. My point is that he's too raw to come into the NHL as a 1C. Hanzal is an excellent stopgap and he would allow us to avoid trading the farm for a 1C like Duchenne while Strome matures into a 1C.

Hanzal is not coming back. He wants term and $, so he would not be a stop gap guy. I like Hanzal, and if he would take a home town discount and shorten his term I would say go for it, so you never know what can happen.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Hanzal is an excellent stopgap and he would allow us to avoid trading the farm for a 1C like Duchenne while Strome matures into a 1C.

Well, I definitely don't want to trade for Duchene. It'd cost us way too much. And it may be that the ONLY veteran center we can sign in UFA will be Hanzal, because of all the off-ice stuff... but it's going to cost us not just money, but a roster spot long-term to get him back. He's going to want a NMC/NTC along with his paycheck if he signs here, and that will hamstring us for the future. That - and the fact that on most other teams in the league he'd be a third-line center at best - is why I don't want to resign him here.

And yes, maybe I AM a little bit sick of "getting the band back together" that is so prevalent with this team. We're already five years removed from the WC Finals season and I think, if we're going to stick to the rebuild, we need to have the courage to move on and look forward.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Well, I definitely don't want to trade for Duchene. It'd cost us way too much. And it may be that the ONLY veteran center we can sign in UFA will be Hanzal, because of all the off-ice stuff... but it's going to cost us not just money, but a roster spot long-term to get him back. He's going to want a NMC/NTC along with his paycheck if he signs here, and that will hamstring us for the future. That - and the fact that on most other teams in the league he'd be a third-line center at best - is why I don't want to resign him here.

And yes, maybe I AM a little bit sick of "getting the band back together" that is so prevalent with this team. We're already five years removed from the WC Finals season and I think, if we're going to stick to the rebuild, we need to have the courage to move on and look forward.

I agree. I would prefer we move on from Hanzal. Fun times ahead.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I agree. I would prefer we move on from Hanzal. Fun times ahead.

Move on to what player? Realistically, there aren't many 1C available for trade, IIRC. Nor are there a lot of UFA centers for us. Do we sit tight? Sign a 3C? It's not nostalgia, it's best player available. Unless, of course, you consider Tavares available.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I like the idea of keeping Crouse down in Tucson and adding someone like Eaves or Stafford in free agency. Bonino would be an interesting add for center depth as well.

Domi-Burmi-Duke
Reider-Dvo-Vrby
Perlini-Bonino-Stafford or Eaves
Martinook-Richardson-X

I also like the idea of trying to get Green for OEL's partner. Could be a nice placeholder until we can evaluate our center and winger prospects better to make a larger move for a top RHD.

Eaves is probably my #1 target in free agency. Although he's coming off of a career 30 goal season, I don't believe he'll have an exorbitant ask - only potential issue is term. His lineup versatility and his fearlessness in crashing the net would be very useful. And he'll instantly be the best bearded player ever to suit up for the Yotes.

Stafford doesn't do much for me at this stage of his career. Hemsky will probably be willing to sign a one year prove it contract and should help with our PP. Other possibilities include Wingels and Connolly. Wouldn't mind bringing back White either as 4RW, though I think Fischer is ready for full-time duty in that spot.

Bonino is my top UFA center choice, unless Hanzal is wiling to take a decent hometown discount. Have no idea if we're even on Bonino's radar, though. Would like to keep a spot open for Strome, but he needs a strong summer and training camp to have a shot at making the team.

As indicated in my RHD list on the roster thread, Green is Detroit's only top 4 RHD. He'd be a good veteran stopgap and his defense is significantly better now than when he was younger, but Detroit barring other moves has very little incentive to trade him. UFA crop of course is thin at RHD after Shattenkirk, who isn't going to sign here.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Move on to what player? Realistically, there aren't many 1C available for trade, IIRC. Nor are there a lot of UFA centers for us. Do we sit tight? Sign a 3C? It's not nostalgia, it's best player available. Unless, of course, you consider Tavares available.

I really have no idea at this moment. I want to see what's available at the expansion draft.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
Strome is going to be our biggest piece of trade bait, IMO.
I agree with you on Hanzal as well as having Keller grow in the AHL next year.
We differ on Strome. His trade value is way lower than his potential. He could still develop into the player we thought we drafted but he looked scared out there early this season. Meanwhile the others in that class are playing like veterans already. (Marner for fks sake) Strome should get another cup of coffee this fall, but likely may need blossoming in the AHL too; away from the OHL where he seems to only thrive.
I'm hoping the draft gives us Hishier or Middlestadt, but the legislature isn't going to give us an arena so none of this matters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad