Game 8: Columbus vs. St. Louis | 1/31 7PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'm not going to pick sides but regsarding the Carter trade it was foolish to jump into.

Carter had issues in Philly - like a lot of young guys he liked the night (just like Zherdev did here), he just signed a huge contract to stay in Philly that had a NTC but that had a window to trade him, he didn't show up a lot of time and according to a lot of Philly fans he scored a lot of meaningless goals.

You put it all together and you have a kid who likes the night life of Philly, justed signed huge contract to stay in Philly, and he didn't always play hard.

Now if you were the GM of a team that likes to have "Good guys" (the entire PR thing), with a team with a lot of leadership issues, with a lot of guys who didn't bring it every night, in a city that a lot of families love, but let's be honest lots of single guys may not love so much (unless chasing college age women is their thing) wouldn't acquiring Carter have thrown up some flags?

Carter liked Phillys night life (let's be honest Columbus is fun, but it's not a big town), and he signed a long term deal to stay there. If you were going to acquire a guy with a questionable reputation you better have strong leadership in that room to keep him in line.

Again we needed goals and I can understand the trade if you were the GM of a fantasy hockey team, but real players have real issues and Carter's were very apparent. Howson chose to ignore them.

All of this may well have been considered. But it's important to note that there is no real way of telling how exactly someone will turn out when their conditions change.

Every one of us knows someone who's changed either in a drastic way to something minor, or not at all to something major. We've all seen people of good character and sound judgment become insufferable if they acquire money, or people who can't be trusted with anything become responsible when asked to be responsible. We've seen upstanding citizens come from criminal families, and criminals come from upstanding families. In hockey, there are countless stories of players who end up in trouble because of their own hubris or stupidity and then mature out of it, and countless others who don't learn from it and end up in a tailspin. The drunk sobers up, or the drunk becomes a drunk and a junkie.

The number of players who have been traded in the last 30 years is extremely high. The number of players who are annoyed or pissed off at being traded is pretty high as well; unless a player simply wants out or is going from the basement to a contender, he's not likely to be ecstatic under any circumstances. The number of players who are pissed off to the point of threatening to retire, hold out, or not report until they're traded is extremely small. But the number of players in the last 30 years who have been pissed off to the point of completely floating through 80% of the games played by their new team is a list of exactly one: Jeff Carter.

This runs the span of every type of player. Scott Stevens was the fiery defensive defenseman, loyal to a fault. Bernie Nicholls was the goal-scorer prone to extended slumps, and his reasons were for the health of his wife and kids. Craig Janney was the setup man, described as being tough as a feather in an updraft. The list goes on, but no matter how far you extend it, what Jeff Carter did was unprecedented.

Now, here's a question for you. If the tag team of Carter and Richards were basically seen as mirror images of each other, why didn't Richards float through the Kings games like Carter did? Why didn't Richards seem to have any trouble adapting to a new city? Why didn't the freakin' captain of the Flyers, dumped by his team, do anything close to what Carter did?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
the funnies thing about it all is through all this "bemoaning" about him, he was still on pace for like 28 goals or something even being hurt like he was...

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Carter liked Phillys night life (let's be honest Columbus is fun, but it's not a big town)...

I'll not argue with the rest, but as for the above...

How can a young man who likes to party complain that he's been dumped into a town with more than 20,000 college girls within 5 miles of his workplace? That's rediculous!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I'll not argue with the rest, but as for the above...

How can a young man who likes to party complain that he's been dumped into a town with more than 20,000 college girls within 5 miles of his workplace? That's rediculous!

You do realize when Carter was traded here he was 27? I doubt if chasing 18-22 yo tail down at Park Street was a fun night out for him.
Columbus for all the good things does not have a night life that compares to a large city. Most of the places where the college girls hang out, there is a major problem, all the college guys hang out there too.
The players want exclusive clubs, places where they could have fun and not be bothered (and have pictures constantly taken). Columbus really doesn't have much of that. I mean wasn't it Brule who got knocked out at Red White and Boom (it wasn't in the news, but right in front of the arena, and it was one of our #1 picks but not 100% certain it was Brule).

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
You do realize when Carter was traded here he was 27? I doubt if chasing 18-22 yo tail down at Park Street was a fun night out for him.
Columbus for all the good things does not have a night life that compares to a large city. Most of the places where the college girls hang out, there is a major problem, all the college guys hang out there too.
The players want exclusive clubs, places where they could have fun and not be bothered (and have pictures constantly taken). Columbus really doesn't have much of that. I mean wasn't it Brule who got knocked out at Red White and Boom (it wasn't in the news, but right in front of the arena, and it was one of our #1 picks but not 100% certain it was Brule).

Does this really look like a guy that aviodes college age girls and having his photo taken? :laugh:

jeff-carter-partying.jpg

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

Oh wow, the thread has went here now? By all accounts you are completely off based with Carter. NY or Cali is perfect for him and, yes, I suspect he is fully into chasing 18-22 year old "tail". Probably not 18 but certainly 21.

At 27 I couldn't tell much of a difference between a 21 and 24 year old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad