GDT: Game 8: Columbus at Minnesota | 10/22 8PM EDT

ndd17

In Eaves we trust!
Jul 14, 2012
Russia
Torts simply need a time. I remember when in the early season 10/11 MacLean destroyed Devils and then was fired, they again hired Lemaire. Iirc only one win in first eight games under him, but then around 29 win in 37 games(iirc). We have the same, Torts need a time restore the ruins that Richards left him. I don't know how many games need for it him, my opinion around five. We will see.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Has any team ever made playoffs starting season 0-8 ?

No team has started 0-8 since the 1940 something Rangers. So that should be a clue.

We could be the first if we play at about a 1.3286532 pts per game pace the rest of the way (for certain posters who wait for such deep analysis :sarcasm:):laugh:

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
We just dont have much skill. When you watch how we play against other teams, they all look better. Buffalo looked light years better then us in the skill department. Any skill category we have, ours is on the lower end. Hard work is all we have, and hard work and low skill still wont be enough. If we dont get Vezina level play from Bob, we're not going anywhere

Eikka

May 21, 2015
Will be very interesting to see how Joey handles this new situation. The ball is in his court now. He has to grow up, put his ego aside and play for the logo on the jersey. If he doesn't respond the right way Dubinsky and Wennberg can be very capable #1C & #2C. Joey's tradevalue is so high that trading him could completely fix the issues on the defence.

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
Wennberg is going to be a stud. Big, strong, smart, great hockey IQ. Going to be fun to watch him progress as we go.

pl4tinum

Feb 21, 2012
There's only 1 player on this team who seems to be able to control the puck in tight space and avoid being stripped or having to dump it away (Ryjo). That speaks to a lack of skill across the roster. The passing out of the defensive zone is awful, never tape to tape, and never on time to spring someone. It's almost like every pass they make is a desperation last second pass that ends up going awry or wide of its target. When pressured our players don't make the right play half the time. We dont pass back into our defensive zone to the defense when the look on the break-out isnt favorable, and do a reset. We just push it up into the trap and turn it over. There are a ton of things we're doing wrong right now and it's difficult to watch. But underlying issue is a dearth of talent across the board, and a seeming lack of chemistry. The defense is just not positioned right and aren't active enough with their sticks. I could go on. I see this losing streak hitting 10 games unfortunately.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have previously suggested in the Torts thread that his Number 1 job coming in here was to deal with Joey. After last year it should be obvious that JD is not enthralled with Joey despite his offensive numbers. Indeed, I think it could be Joey's lackadaisical play that was the final stake in TR's coaching career. I am sure JD wants Joey's attitude straightened out before it is time for the "big contract" debate. And I feel rather certain that JD thinks that if Torts cannot fix Joey's attitude, Joey will be traded for teh big D man before his bridge contract is up.

pl4tinum

Feb 21, 2012
It's funny how the teams with so little talent are always looking to trade the talent they do have for something else they need. Stockpiling talent is what is needed. Joey should be untouchable and that should come down from above.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Talented players who will not put in the effort to maximize the use of their talents are expendable. No winning team can ever be built around a talented player who puts in a lackluster effort . Period.

Kentucky

Mar 25, 2014
It's funny how the teams with so little talent are always looking to trade the talent they do have for something else they need. Stockpiling talent is what is needed. Joey should be untouchable and that should come down from above.

I see what you are saying, and agree to an extent, but if we have a talented player that does not want to play hard and becomes disengaged, and we trade him for a player of equal talent that fills our most pressing need (D) that does want to play hard and be engaged, the trade would have to be considered. Talent for talent, the only difference is the care level and willingness to put forth 100% effort.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
While I am no advocate of trading Joey, as the best player on this team he needs to be the guy setting the tone for the other young guys. If he is going to play at less than 100% effort and isn't called out for it, the next wave of young talent is more likely to do the same thing.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
While I am no advocate of trading Joey, as the best player on this team he needs to be the guy setting the tone for the other young guys. If he is going to play at less than 100% effort and isn't called out for it, the next wave of young talent is more likely to do the same thing.

This...in all respects.
Do not trade him. But do whatever is needed to get him engaged again. It isn't just his effort that gets affected - some players see the ability to coast at times, others players get discouraged by seeing it, and a few players get pissed off and play harder to try to make up for it. None of those outcomes is positive for CBJ.

My theory is also that Joey is down because of results. Not a defense of his play in recent games, he certainly appears disengaged. Just stating that iirc no one complained of his effort in first game (he was flying), maybe even a game after that. I think he started to learn how to play more engaged last year. But after 2 games he started to see the D deficiencies (and Bob's horrific start) and began to sulk a bit (just like we Boarders have mostly done) when realizing management had missed the mark by failing to upgrade D and that maybe all the hype wasn't yet justified for this team despite his efforts. Just my speculation - and none of this excuses disengaged play; based on what I saw last night, he deserved to be called out. A shame, because who do we want with the puck when we NEED that one goal - Joey.

I thought Torts' main job was fixing D. I was wrong. Main jobs are fixing Joey and Bob...That happens and everyone around them will start playing better.
It is Jarmo's job to fix the D.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Talented players who will not put in the effort to maximize the use of their talents are expendable. No winning team can ever be built around a talented player who puts in a lackluster effort . Period.

EXACTLY!

And such players with fetch good assets to build a better team if need be.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Watched the game at home with some avid fans and we all agreed that was the first game of the season that real Jackets showed up for 60 minutes. I know the 2nd period didn't go so well, but that is hockey, you out play the other team for 2/3 of the game and you win 75% of the time imo.

It was a good first step, now lets start getting some points boys and begin the perrenial, "here come the jackets' unlikely, odd defying, playoff run" talk.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Campbell, Clarkson, Prout and Joey were the clear under performers IMO last night. Clarkson admittedly played hard last night, but the guy just is never gonna get results.

I think Joey will come to play next game, the others I think should be shipped far, far away.

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
Watched the game at home with some avid fans and we all agreed that was the first game of the season that real Jackets showed up for 60 minutes. I know the 2nd period didn't go so well, but that is hockey, you out play the other team for 2/3 of the game and you win 75% of the time imo.

It was a good first step, now lets start getting some points boys and begin the perrenial, "here come the jackets' unlikely, odd defying, playoff run" talk.

I agree wholeheartedly with this. They played hard and limited the mistakes and played smart and hard. Wennberg is turning into the player I was hoping for and I give Torts credit for rewarding minutes on the quality of play. I hope Joey was paying attention.

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
I thought Torts' main job was fixing D. I was wrong. Main jobs are fixing Joey and Bob...That happens and everyone around them will start playing better.
It is Jarmo's job to fix the D.

I am strangely comfortable with Ryan. It's good sign personally for me, that he is normal boy. 23? He is so young and here so many years to play for us, for Jackets. I am glad that he isn't iron man, robot without weaknesses. Everyone has slumps, it's normally, he will be ok:)

But our second more serious problem :( Bob. I know that Ian Klark was last summer in Novokuzneck ( Serge's city), then he said " we are trying to play next season more aggressively", but now looks like that this " aggressiveness " isn't good for Bob. Ian have to correct these problems. I don't tell that we must fire Ian now, he is very important person for Bob, practically as friend, he is psychologically important for Bob.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad