GDT: Game 8: Blues at Red Wings 2/1/13 at 6:30 CST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiems35*

I know the refs handed that one away, but our PK could use some work. It seems like the strategy is to just sit around and watch the other team move the puck while hoping that they don't score.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
I guess Ian Walsh is going to get back at the players for locking him out too, one match penalty at a time.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
Just played a nasty game of basement hockey. Apparently, when the Blues get hosed by the biased refs, blues fans play angry. :laugh:

But yeah, that was clear and intentional bias, there's no other way to explain that game, and the amount of penalties. Big Markets get the games, Small markets don't. The league is a perpetual Harlem Globetrotters vs. Washington Generals. Corrupt to the highest degree.

Marty Straka

HFBoards Senior Citizen
Aug 11, 2009
Toronto, ON
Gotta say... That was an absolutely atrocious call on the backes hit... literally no part of him even remotely touched his head... just an absolute bomb of a hit to the chest.

BlueBeard

Aug 17, 2008
As pissed as I was about that call on Backes at the time. Meh **** it, let the boys get a few more practices in, keep refining some areas and move forward. Like someone else said earlier in the thread, not the first time we've gotten screwed and it won't be the last.

Bring on the Preds.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I'm just tired of moving on from this. It's clear that there's a Big Market bias in the NHL. A Small market, such as St. Louis, will not be allowed to win the Cup in this financially insecure NHL. The league needs the revenue. It's just that simple.

So what's the point in watching this anymore? It's rigged.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
If they are a union, then they are NHL employees, just like the playes.

The NHL Ref union doesn't cut the checks, the NHL does.

If the NHL can suspend players who have a union, they should be able to suspend refs.

The difference between the NHLPA union and the NHL Ref union is the contracts. While the CBA allows players to be suspended by the league, the agreement with the refs does not allow for the league to punish the refs. Not every union agreement is the same. Bettman takes things a little bit easier on the refs than the players when it comes to negotiating. When the NFL officials were locked out a lot of people argued they should not play with replacement officials it would be even worse in the NHL. Oddly enough the refs union has a lot more leverage than the players union.

sh724

Jun 2, 2009
Missouri
Referees will never be called out. The closest we will see is Backes not getting a suspension, which is the NHL's way of saying the ref made a mistake. People will dress certain things up as accountability, but there is very little.

As for the thread on the main boards about the Backes hit, that has turned into an embarrassment.

The NHLs way or saying there was a mistake is to rescind the game misconduct. In terms of the game against Detroit it is meaningless but it has an affect on potential future supplementary discipline against Backes if something questionable happens in the future.

There are many times where players receive a game misconduct and are not suspended the majority of the time there is no suspension, it has nothing to do with whether or not the ref made a mistake.

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
I'm just tired of moving on from this. It's clear that there's a Big Market bias in the NHL. A Small market, such as St. Louis, will not be allowed to win the Cup in this financially insecure NHL. The league needs the revenue. It's just that simple.

So what's the point in watching this anymore? It's rigged.

I disagree.

Would the game have turned out differently based on the penalty? Maybe. Anyway, I believe thinking like this diminishes the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Honestly whatever, let the Wings fans have their moment of joy. As far as I'm concerned, we're trending up and them down. Look forward to next game and rebound from this loss.

uncommonsense52

(blue bleeder 24-7)
Jul 12, 2003
I disagree.

Would the game have turned out differently based on the penalty? Maybe. Anyway, I believe thinking like this diminishes the game.

I love hockey. I said that in my post. (EDIT: Or maybe I didn't, but I do, I love the sport.) But this isn't a new thing for me. It was not this one penalty that changed my mind. In fact, I was just reading up on something I posted about a year ago:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=41774315&postcount=170

I have seen this Big Market bias over and over and over and over and over again. Ask me if you think Los Angeles was really good enough to win in 5 games or less against every opponent in the West.

Or why not tell me this is a good goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w32LhH4HJA

Go on, watch that video, and tell me that's a good hockey goal.

That goal decided if the Chicago Blackhawks (Big Market) made the Playoffs.

We're talking about an NHL in financial turmoil. Failing markets, continuing labor disputes, barely any teams turning a real profit, in a general recession. It's good business to get the Big Markets to buy-in, and it doesn't matter what the Small Markets do.

How much more money does the NHL rake in if the Stanley Cup is between... hmmm... Los Angeles and New Jersey... compared to... St. Louis and Florida?

Last edited by a moderator:

CloneHakanPlease*

Wings fan just coming in here to say you guys should take solace that even with getting cheated this game (a thing any real Wing fan will admit), you guys are still almost assuredly winning the central. I thought it was between you or Chicago but after seeing three of your games and two of theirs, it's not even close. Hitchcock is molding something special.

frostyflo

Jan 29, 2009
Austria
So, what'd I miss, guys? How'd the game go? Anything unusual happen?

captain America nearly killed Huskins, left his feet to get both elbows (and a knee) to Huskys head...

but while we all can agree the refs are to blame for this one I'm not happy with the effort from our boys, especially in the 3rd

they pretty much controlled the game on equal strengh in the 2nd but let the wings come and score the equalizer, were still not able to find their a-game and the power-play at he end was pathetic, even 6 on 4 they didn't get anything going.

on the pp they acted like they already lost this game, you could see they were pissed but couldn't use it as some kind of energy, just gave up...pretty much like in the game vs LA when Petro got knocked down

i guess its hard to keep going after stuff like that if they can't I doubt we are mentally strong enough to win the cup. I don't wanna see us as Vancouver2.0

but maybe I'm just interpreting too much in yesterdays game, 4 games at home are coming on a normal schedule-base and hopefully we can get back on track asap

BlueSinceBirth

Jul 4, 2006
captain America nearly killed Huskins, left his feet to get both elbows (and a knee) to Huskys head...

but while we all can agree the refs are to blame for this one I'm not happy with the effort from our boys, especially in the 3rd

they pretty much controlled the game on equal strengh in the 2nd but let the wings come and score the equalizer, were still not able to find their a-game and the power-play at he end was pathetic, even 6 on 4 they didn't get anything going.

on the pp they acted like they already lost this game, you could see they were pissed but couldn't use it as some kind of energy, just gave up...pretty much like in the game vs LA when Petro got knocked down

i guess its hard to keep going after stuff like that if they can't I doubt we are mentally strong enough to win the cup. I don't wanna see us as Vancouver2.0

but maybe I'm just interpreting too much in yesterdays game, 4 games at home are coming on a normal schedule-base and hopefully we can get back on track asap

Having to PK for 5 minutes kills your energy pretty quickly.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Shattenkirk was ****ing awesome. Cannot bring myself to talk about the hit and officiating. Just, man, what a game for Shatty.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
That's how it will be for Blues: they will never get any help from anybody save themselves. They should know this, remember about this and be used to this. And keep playing.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
I know it stings to have such a bad call be an important factor in the game, but you guys need to take a deep breath and settle down. Bad calls are going to hurt everybody at some point this season.

Here's what I saw: the Blues gave up a 5 on 3 goal and a rare mental error to let Zetterberg behind the D. Before that they were dominating play, and there wasn't any question in my mind they would come back. Which they did, and in the first period even. They continued to control the game until the reffing disaster. I can only imagine what killing a 5 minute penalty in the 6th period in 2 nights does to the legs.

Bottom line, Blues are a much better team than Detroit, we were never going to go 47-1 and I'll eat my shoe if The outcome of this game is any real deciding factor between the two teams.

STEVIE RAY BLUES

Jul 5, 2009
No question the call on Backes was a joke.........but I've got to say the goaltending hasn't done us any favors this year! Would be nice to have a game where our goaltender stole us 2 points. Also when the give you a power play at the end of the game you really should do something with it. Hanging your head won't get the job done. I think the boys were tired. Detroit can enjoy this one because they won't enjoy playing us for the next five years at least.

od71

Apr 8, 2012
Backes hit was clean. Will be refs punished ?
May be Backes has bad reputation? If so, refs can overwhistle in such cases.

If that hit was dirty Backes would have to be suspended anyway. But that would be too unjust.

Last edited:

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Backes hit was clean. Will be refs punished ?
May be Backes has bad reputation? If so, refs can overwhistle in such cases.

If that hit was dirty Backes would have to be suspended anyway. But that would be too unjust.

I don't think it was a reputation call at all. It was just a call from an official that did not have a clear look at the play. If they were handing out reputation calls, Tootoo would've been gone for blowing up Polak. Nothing wrong with either hit, but at least Tootoo's looked more violent. Huskins just collapsed after he got the wind knocked out of him. He just wasn't in the right spot to make the call, and the other official either didn't see it, or didn't care. I hope he didn't see it.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Bad calls will happen. Sometimes in your favor... Sometimes not... There are 60 minutes in a hockey game and that was 5 minutes. Red Wings skated hard and played hard the entire game. For all the years the Red Wings were the best team yet we still beat them from time to time, give them some credit. They played to win last night despite the calls. Blues need to turn up the intensity and play to win. Go for the knock out punch and stop being so conservative. They have more talent and need to play for blood and more passion earlier in the game....Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad