GDT: Game 79: Red Wings at penguins 7:00 pm et 4/11/24 (BSD, ESPN+)

MIKELGRW

Jul 13, 2022
South Florida
Screenshot (77).png

Screenshot (78).png

4 games remaining, Lyon is in net. let's Go Boys!

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
its asinine that they are letting talent rot in grand rapids when they are clearly ready like berggren.

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Berggren- Compher - Kane
Perron - Kasper - Fabbri
Fischer - Veleno - Sprong

they should have run these lines, not aston reece my god its so frustrating calling up these losers like ZAR

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
its asinine that they are letting talent rot in grand rapids when they are clearly ready like berggren.

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
Berggren- Compher - Kane
Perron - Kasper - Fabbri
Fischer - Veleno - Sprong

they should have run these lines, not aston reece my god its so frustrating calling up these losers like ZAR
Tie goes to the VET!

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
My daughter (who attends uni near Pittsburgh) got tickets to the game from her boyfriend and they'll be there. I told her "shout "Let's Go Red Wings", they love that in Pittsburgh". She said: "Dad, how stupid do you think I am?"

Reactions: Go Wings

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I'd say that I'm ready to get hurt again. But I'm not. So I won't bother watching, and they'll win, and they'll reel me in again, just to lose at Toronto and rip my heart out all over again.

But I'm not bitter or anything. Really. :D

The Wings are really channeling some classic Lions energy here to end the season.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Tie goes to the VET!
Lalonde said 300 NHL games, means he's better choice. What got me that he said no chance Marco will be called.
I don't care anymore about this season, I just want kids have some experience and both AJ and Kasper have plenty pro experience, but not NHL

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
OK, we get ESPN+ and a Bally night tonight. So at least we get Ken!

It's sad we pay for ESPN+ and so many games aren't on it because they televise it to other networks forcing people to either pay for more subscriptions or miss the game.

WE finally get to watch a game on a platform we pay good money for. Pathetic it has come to this.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Tie goes to Zach Aston-Reese.

Veleno to 3rd line to replace Copp ?
I'm getting the "You want it? Then take it" vibe from Mr. Yzerman even more strongly these last few games.

I like it. This team currently has all the tools it needs to beat all the remaining teams its facing. Yes, even with injuries and illness (although I think Copp going down is going to hurt more than some folks think.) So show the boss what you've got and do it.

LongTimeDRWF

Feb 10, 2024
NS
I'm getting the "You want it? Then take it" vibe from Mr. Yzerman even more strongly these last few games.

I like it. This team currently has all the tools it needs to beat all the remaining teams its facing. Yes, even with injuries and illness (although I think Copp going down is going to hurt more than some folks think.) So show the boss what you've got and do it.
All part of the stress test SY is pressing on them, I think this race will do way more for character building than coasting into the playoffs and then getting swept.

None of the wings homegrown guys have gone through this process, but if they get through it (a gut-it-out win tonight really goes a long way) and make it to the dance, they had to reach deep and fight for it. Even if they don't make it, the battle for it will separate those with the drive and those without.

So I think the real value is in who SY will try to keep around this summer (ie Joey V in particular, SY is giving this guy lots of looks the past couple of years) as the building core of a contender continues...

Reactions: Detroit Knights

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I predict we win in OT because this teams seems to really want to cause all of us the maximum stress possible by neither claiming a playoff spot or completely blowing it.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

you like it? Aston-Reese is a fringe NHL player that has never produced much offense at the NHL level. In Berggren's only NHL season ever last year, he put up more goals than Aston-Reese ever has in this league, and more points as well...

Like sometimes I feel like people forget you win hockey games by scoring more goals than the other team. We have not been scoring much at all over the last 20 games or so, and now we are absolutely desperate for wins, but rather than calling up a player that can score goals, we call up a scrub who works hard.

Get back to me tonight after we lose 4-1, and have trouble generating anything offensively, and tell me if you still like it.

Also, what has Aston-Reese "taken"...He's not even at 0.5 ppg in the AHL, yet he gets the call because he's 29 years old.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
you like it? Aston-Reese is a fringe NHL player that has never produced much offense at the NHL level. In Berggren's only NHL season ever last year, he put up more goals than Aston-Reese ever has in this league, and more points as well...

Like sometimes I feel like people forget you win hockey games by scoring more goals than the other team. We have not been scoring much at all over the last 20 games or so, and now we are absolutely desperate for wins, but rather than calling up a player that can score goals, we call up a scrub who works hard.

Get back to me tonight after we lose 4-1, and have trouble generating anything offensively, and tell me if you still like it.

Also, what has Aston-Reese "taken"...He's not even at 0.5 ppg in the AHL, yet he gets the call because he's 29 years old.

To this point...... Mazur has been more productive in the AHL this year. Give him a shot.

Reactions: RedWingzz

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

1) My focus is not on this season anymore. The main course is done, in effect, and the dessert is waiting for them if they can get to it. No one expects this team to get far in the playoffs whether they cruised in with an 8 point cushion or back their way in on the last night. I value the experience they would get tremendously - my opinion on that has not changed since Opening Night when I was part of the camp that predicted exactly this outcome: clawing their way up until the last game or so. It feels different because of the high highs and the low lows, but that's where this team was designed to be this season.

2) I don't pretend to know why SY does what he does. I do know that scoring is key, but there are other keys too, and if I'm right - and obviously I may not be - standing relatively pat both at the deadline and at this crucial point can be interpreted as exactly what I said. Larks, Kane, ADB, and the rest CAN SCORE PLENTY. It's up to Coach and the lads to figure out how to make it happen and do it.

SY is not the buddy of any of these guys. He's their boss. Do you think SY is so dumb that he saw what happened to the team when the captain went down and thought "this is fine"? Addressing it by adding talent and skill is one aspect of the solution, but trying to get the extant roster to step up and show they can do it is another aspect. If nothing else, it informs you on who you can get rid of and in that sense it's an invaluable filter.

3) This would not please Imhotep and I'll hate it for this game if that's what happens, of course. But you're thinking Hockey and I'm opining about Leadership and Management. We're not talking about the same things.

4) The only thing I know about Aston-Reese is the name. He's not important in these last 4 games - the rest of the team IS. If I'm right. I could be wrong - it's happened before. :)

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
So Copp out. We bring in Reese. Not Kasper who's a center. Wtf are we even doing??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad