GDT: Game 79 | Pittsburgh Penguins vs Montreal Canadiens | 7PM | They'll Start Trying Soooooon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Murray is so fragile I'd try and limit his games.

Maybe play him tonight against the Habs and the Sens the last game of the year, i think its less likely the Sens and Habs will drive hard to the net then the Caps and CBJ.

That's ridiculous. You go with your best goalie.

Reactions: ColePens

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Murray needs to get himself back on his game consistently. With the break between the two sets of games, he should be good to play at least 3 of these 4 games imo. Mentally, I just think he needs to play. He's had plenty of rest this year. I get there's a small risk of injury, but he has to play eventually. And when he does, we need him playing well.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Murray needs to get himself back on his game consistently. With the break between the two sets of games, he should be good to play at least 3 of these 4 games imo. The last thing we should do to him right now is limit his playing. I get there's a small risk of injury, but he has to play eventually. And when he does, we need him playing well.

Yup. The more hes in there, the more he gets his confidence back. Been thru alot the past couple of months.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Surprised it's Murr tonight instead of tomorrow vs the Caps.. though Sully typically goes with Murr on game 1 of a b2b no matter what.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Murray was already rolling at the time and didn't need to shake off any rust like he does right now.

I don't think his performance has anything to do with rust, i just don't think hes played that good.

Tonight will be 6th game coming back from injury, assuming he plays in one of the next b2b games that will be his 7th game.

Rust shouldn't be an issue going into the playoffs IMO, its just about him needing to play better.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I don't think his performance has anything to do with rust, i just don't think hes played that good.

Tonight will be 6th game coming back from injury, assuming he plays in one of the next b2b games that will be his 7th game.

Rust shouldn't be an issue going into the playoffs IMO, its just about him needing to play better.
call it what you want, I don't think sitting is the way to get him playing better.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Surprised it's Murr tonight instead of tomorrow vs the Caps.. though Sully typically goes with Murr on game 1 of a b2b no matter what.

You know it's not illegal for a goalie to start both games of a back-to-back, right?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

He might play all the games. Playoffs don’t start until the 11th.

Reactions: Shockmaster

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
You know it's not illegal for a goalie to start both games of a back-to-back, right?

Yes i do, but if you follow a team you know how your coach is going to coach.

Sully has started Murray the first game of b2b games all year.

He only played Murray on one b2b games all year, it was against the Jets and it was a disaster.

Combine that with Murray playing his 6th game in 12 days since coming off an injury tonight.

And Desmith has gave the pens a chance to win every game this year except the Boston game.

Their is no chance Murray starts tomorrow.

Last edited:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Yes i do, but if you follow a team you know how your coach is going to coach.

Sully has started Murray the first game of b2b games all year.

He only played Murray on one b2b one game all year, it was against the Jets and it was disaster.

Combine that with Murray playing his 6th game in 12 days since coming off an injury tonight.

And Desmith has gave the pens a chance to win every game this year except the Boston game.

Their is no chance Murray starts tomorrow.

a) The coach is allowed to change his mind based on the current situation with the standings. If he doesn't, it's a bad move on his part.

b) After tomorrow night, the Penguins get 3 days off. Combine that with the amount of time Murray has missed for various reasons, there's no risk of playing him into the ground.

You seem to want to hide Murray against any team that would play physically. You realize that means he would play in 0 divisional games, right? :laugh:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I certainly don't want him playing b2b. And I doubt Sully will do it, so I'd rather save him for the better team. It's fine though, Desmith has been good this year.

You guys are looking for reasons to panic I think.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
If Murr goes down.. it's over. Guy has been, unfortunately, fairly injury prone. We're not missing the playoffs. No need to play him in these back to backs.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
a) The coach is allowed to change his mind based on the current situation with the standings. If he doesn't, it's a bad move on his part.

b) After tomorrow night, the Penguins get 3 days off. Combine that with the amount of time Murray has missed for various reasons, there's no risk of playing him into the ground.

You seem to want to hide Murray against any team that would play physically. You realize that means he would play in 0 divisional games, right? :laugh:

ATM it looks like the pens can clinch tonight with a win, if that happens I would think that would even make Sully more conservative.

I don't want to hide him, i just want to keep him healthy.

Hes a fragile goalie.

Murray has gotten injured the last week of the season the last 2 years, so yeah i would be conservative with him.

The last thing in the world i'd be doing with him is playing b2b games at the end of the year.

Reactions: wheelz87

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
If Murr goes down.. it's over. Guy has been, unfortunately, fairly injury prone. We're not missing the playoffs. No need to play him in these back to backs.

If Crosby or Malkin go down it’s over too.

If they think he needs more games to get back in form he’ll play. If they don’t he won’t. It’s not actually a big deal if he does or doesn’t.

Reactions: EightyOne

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

ATM it looks like the pens can clinch tonight with a win, if that happens I would think that would even make Sully more conservative.

I don't want to hide him, i just want to keep him healthy.

Hes a fragile goalie.

Murray has gotten injured the last week of the season the last 2 years, so yeah i would be conservative with him.

The last thing in the world i'd be doing with him is playing b2b games at the end of the year.

Well since the Penguins should be scared and timid these last 4 games, maybe they ought to bring back Mike Johnston to coach. :sarcasm:

The Penguins still have plenty to play for. Hiding the #1 goalie because "hurr durr the other teams are tough hurr durr" is asinine. You play you're number 1 guy back-to-back if you have to. Period.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
3 games to get the lines right.

Jake-Sid-Rust can not be a playoff line.

Neither can Sheary-Brassard-Kessel.

I'm getting worries to be honest.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We have all the motivation to win with a playoff berth looming. I will be pissed if they come out and suck up the joint.

I also will be highly pissed if Geno does not come out of this game with at least two points! Pick it up brah!

The Swedes have a message (epic Farrah do)....

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
3 games to get the lines right.

Jake-Sid-Rust can not be a playoff line.

Neither can Sheary-Brassard-Kessel.

I'm getting worries to be honest.

Not my preference but Sheary actually played well on that line. I don’t think it will be that anyway but he forechecks which is good for them.

Rust I thought in the last little bit is looking better on L1, again not my preference.

I actually not sure of my preference we’ve seen just about every single combo this season. If they are all engaged we should win more often than not no matter the lines anyway.

I freaked out enough last playoffs about the line ups that it took some of the enjoyment away in the first two rounds at least. I’m calmer this year, not 2016 calm but pretty chill.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad