South of Heaven
Successful turtle, boys!

depositphotos_101789278-stock-illustration-cartoon-turtle-wins-by-crossing.jpg

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
There has to be a coaching and maybe GM change even if the Stars pass round 1; would love either way though to see the young core get experience.

To be honest, Bones looks tired, not sure if he’ll be open to coming back; of course I hope he doesn’t.

Reactions: MBTendy

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
I’d like to see Nill stay, but Bowness needs to retire or be an assistant somewhere else, if he still wants to coach. But really, retire; it’s quite a long career to be proud of.

Dallas needs a definitive shift in coaching direction after the Monty/Bowness era. I think it’s important to link them together, BTW, as one was really just an extension of the other, both practically and philosophically.

Reactions: MBTendy

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I think it’s important to link them together, BTW, as one was really just an extension of the other, both practically and philosophically.

So in 5 decades of coaching, Monty's 1 season and a couple of months completely shaped and made Bowness the coach he is in Dallas?

They're not the same or an extension of one another.

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
So in 5 decades of coaching, Monty's 1 season and a couple of months completely shaped and made Bowness the coach he is in Dallas?

They're not the same or an extension of one another.
I hope you don’t misunderstand me as defending Bowness. But after Monty was dismissed, IIRC, Bowness left the system the same and it hasn’t changed since. In actuality, we may never know what he would’ve done from the beginning.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
I hope you don’t misunderstand me as defending Bowness. But after Monty was dismissed, IIRC, Bowness left the system the same and it hasn’t changed since. In actuality, we may never know what he would’ve done from the beginning.

That's not correct. Bones said he didn't make major changes immediately to ease the transition and then implemented more changes after the COVID break going into the bubble.

Regardless of that info though, I'm not misunderstanding you. I'm saying a broad generalization of both coaches saying they're practically and philosophically the same is silly. It's not about defending one or the other.

Reactions: Elysian

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011
Correct me if I'm misremembering the system Minty implemented wasn't the one he wanted to, he adapted to the more defensive system because he wanted to do the relentless pressing offense style but didn't think the roster could do it. Bowness has had plenty of opportunities to change the system

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Bowness didn't leave it the same, he actually made it worse, I've posted a HockeyViz graph that compares the two in the same season (I think in the Fire Bowness thread) and it got significantly worse after Bowness took over.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Correct me if I'm misremembering the system Minty implemented wasn't the one he wanted to, he adapted to the more defensive system because he wanted to do the relentless pressing offense style but didn't think the roster could do it. Bowness has had plenty of opportunities to change the system

I think you have it correct for the most part. I can't say it with 100% confidence, but I definitely recall Montgomery bemoaning the fact that the team he imagined wasn't the one they eventually evolved into.

I do also recall him saying the roster was better fit for the more defensive system they were eventually playing.

Reactions: Elysian

JesusNPucks

Dec 22, 2009
Amman, Jordan
That's not correct. Bones said he didn't make major changes immediately to ease the transition and then implemented more changes after the COVID break going into the bubble.

Regardless of that info though, I'm not misunderstanding you. I'm saying a broad generalization of both coaches saying they're practically and philosophically the same is silly. It's not about defending one or the other.
Fair enough. Thanks for the replies.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I think you have it correct for the most part. I can't say it with 100% confidence, but I definitely recall Montgomery bemoaning the fact that the team he imagined wasn't the one they eventually evolved into.

I do also recall him saying the roster was better fit for the more defensive system they were eventually playing.
He did evolve the system in his 2nd year, even though it was cut short. While he was HC in his second year the team was better offensively than his 1st year and better offensively than when Bowness took over. Team reverted after he was fired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad