Lundqvist
Talbot

Scratches
Sheppard

Injured
Klein​

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Boy, I gotta give the Rangers credit. They have put together a tough lineup. But the Jackets team that is playing them tonite has a pretty good lineup too. With the Pens and Flyers in a bit of a decline, and Nash and Brassard being the the Rags, I can see the Rangers as becoming our biggest rival over the next few years.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
FYI to viewers in Columbus and Cincinnati there's a good chance this game will be on a alternate channel because of Reds opening day. TWC will be 1310 HD and 24 SD if the game is moved.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Boy, I gotta give the Rangers credit. They have put together a tough lineup. But the Jackets team that is playing them tonite has a pretty good lineup too. With the Pens and Flyers in a bit of a decline, and Nash and Brassard being the the Rags, I can see the Rangers as becoming our biggest rival over the next few years.

At some point, the Rangers lack of 1st round picks in recent years will catch up with them. Their window is closing quickly, imo.

I think a playoff series with any of those three teams could spark a "rivalry." Familiarity with all three via trades/free agent signings. Proximity favors Pittsburgh (duh). Nash trade suggests Rangers. Hartnell/Voracek/Bob/Mason/etc suggest Flyers could be a fun series, but I think I'd place Philly 3rd on the list of potential rivals right now.

useref15

Oct 11, 2009
New Jersey
At some point, the Rangers lack of 1st round picks in recent years will catch up with them. Their window is closing quickly, imo.

I think a playoff series with any of those three teams could spark a "rivalry." Familiarity with all three via trades/free agent signings. Proximity favors Pittsburgh (duh). Nash trade suggests Rangers. Hartnell/Voracek/Bob/Mason/etc suggest Flyers could be a fun series, but I think I'd place Philly 3rd on the list of potential rivals right now.

Not sure how you can say our window is closing quickly when we have a ton of young guys as our core such as McDonagh, Stepan, Zuccarello, Kreider, Brassard, Hayes, Hagelin, Miller, etc in their mid to early 20s. Plus guys like Yandle, Staal, Nash, and Girardi who are 30 and younger. And Buchnevich and Skjei who have great potential.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Not sure how you can say our window is closing quickly when we have a ton of young guys as our core such as McDonagh, Stepan, Zuccarello, Kreider, Brassard, Hayes, Hagelin, Miller, etc in their mid to early 20s. Plus guys like Yandle, Staal, Nash, and Girardi who are 30 and younger. And Buchnevich and Skjei who have great potential.

b/c some of those guys are going to need new contracts and you won't have enough depth to plug in the next player due to the lack of those 1st round picks

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015

Yeah, yeah. You got a good team, you don't have to reiterate that to us.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
b/c some of those guys are going to need new contracts and you won't have enough depth to plug in the next player due to the lack of those 1st round picks

Plus....http://nhlcapspace.com/ Only 7 forwards locked up with contracts next season, plus 7 D, and 2 G. Cap hit is already north of $60 million. Two of the guys without a contract (Hagelin and Stepan) will be expecting raises plus whatever St. Louis decides to do. The cap is supposedly going to settle between $70 and $72 million. Plus, if I'm not mistaken there will be a cap "overage" carrying into next season.

Also, http://www.hockeysfuture.com/team-rankings/fall-team-rankings-2014-15/page/3 Coming into the year the Rangers ranked 28th in terms of their prospect pool (i.e. depth and the future). And that was counting Duclair as the #3 Rangers prospect.

There's no doubt the top end of the Rangers should be good the next few years, but unless they can remedy the cap situation I think it will be tough to have enough depth to compete. Again, as I said originally, just my opinion.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Well, for people thinking they wont be able to keep the Rangers together, what makes you think we can do it successfully? There's the model of how you want to build from within, but as mentioned, by the time everyone is primed and ready to compete, theyre going to want to be paid as well. We can only hope to get to that level, but we'll have the exact same problems then.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Well, for people thinking they wont be able to keep the Rangers together, what makes you think we can do it successfully? There's the model of how you want to build from within, but as mentioned, by the time everyone is primed and ready to compete, theyre going to want to be paid as well. We can only hope to get to that level, but we'll have the exact same problems then.

very true...that's where having a continuous pipeline going...and what we've had to do over the last few years, totally rebuild the prospect pool and acquire other assets so that we can keep that pipeline moving...

Doug19

Oct 14, 2008
Columbus, OH
When healthy I truly believe 100% that CBJ are better than NYR. We are healthy, I expect our team to play physical and beat them by 2 goals. Obviously they have a better D, but I like our forward group much more.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
very true...that's where having a continuous pipeline going...and what we've had to do over the last few years, totally rebuild the prospect pool and acquire other assets so that we can keep that pipeline moving...
Trading away a 1st round pick thats probably much closer to being a 2nd than a 1st, is a risk worth taking when you need the final pieces, a risk I expect our FO to take if/when our time comes.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

It's a little bit different. Next season, they (NYR) have a $7.8 million superstar forward, $26.5 million wrapped up in their defense, and another $10 million spent on goalies. The Jackets will spend about $14 million on defense, and maybe $8-$8.5 million on the goalie position. They have, in my view, more flexibility in the next couple seasons because of some of those contracts. Their flexibility would increase if they could dump Clarkson's contract to an expansion team needing to get to the floor. They also have no cap problem next year (currently at ~$61 million cap payroll with potentially Calvert and/or Letestu to re-sign but that would be about it). The Rangers, meanwhile, will have ~$10 million to spend on 7 forwards, two of whom are Stepan and Hagelin. A third would be St. Louis if he sticks around. They have four defenders making over $4.5 million next year, plus Yandle at $2.9.

Also, the Jackets' prospect pool is objectively deeper and better than the Rangers. This gives them more flexibility when filling out the roster and in making trades. That's not to say there aren't going to be issues for both teams, but the Rangers are very much "win now" (i.e. this year and next), whereas I think Columbus is set up better to compete in the next 2-5 years.

The CBJ could be in a similar cap situation in '17-'18 with Joey likely on at least a 7X7 contract, Hartsy still at $4.75, Clarkson, Dubi, Foligno all above $5, Jenner and Murray on new contracts, a bunch of the '12 and '13 draftees ready for new contracts, Bob still at $7.425, but that's way down the road and a lot will happen by then.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
But also, the Rangers are coming off a Stanley Cup final, and expecting to return. We're not close to that yet, once we do, we'll probably have the same types of issues. I dont think you'll be finding any Stanley Cup finals team without cap issues

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
When healthy I truly believe 100% that CBJ are better than NYR. We are healthy, I expect our team to play physical and beat them by 2 goals. Obviously they have a better D, but I like our forward group much more.

I wondered what happened to Doug MacLean! :)

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
This is why I wear my 17 jersey to every game, love that guy...he doesn't care who's in the draft!

we bring you this Brandon Dubinsky anecdote from this morning in lower Manhattan, courtesy of Blue Jackets center Ryan Johansen.
"This morning when we got on the bus to come over here, Dubi looked at me with a smirk on his face and said: 'Be your best tonight.'
"He want's to win every time we come here. We all do. There's built-in motivation, for sure."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad