GDT: Game 78: Columbus vs. Pittsburgh | 4/4 2PM EDT

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You don't have to say it, you imply it when you comment about Dano having a poor game yesterday while Boll sat. And if that makes me more of an expert than you, then so be it. I think Morin and Boll are somewhat interchangeable, and I think that neither of them fit into the long-term plans of this team. But I will say that, at least Morin isn't a penalty or defensive zone liability.

The hockeyfights.com fight of the day just came across, and oddly enough it features Jared Boll:

http://www.hockeyfights.com/fights/43088

So tell me, does this sort of thing (taking a charging penalty and losing a fight to a smaller player) help the team, or does it hurt the team? Speak honestly.

I didn't imply it at all because my next words were "I would never sit Dano for Boll".

Way to pick a fight from 7 years ago...Boll is a much better fighter now than he was in the early years and he absolutely isn't a stupid penalty taker this season, I broke down his penalties in another thread, look it up, he only has 4, what I would deem, "dumb penalties" this season.

My defending him may be tired, but so is complaining about him.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
I didn't imply it at all because my next words were "I would never sit Dano for Boll".

Way to pick a fight from 7 years ago...Boll is a much better fighter now than he was in the early years and he absolutely isn't a stupid penalty taker this season, I broke down his penalties in another thread, look it up, he only has 4, what I would deem, "dumb penalties" this season.

My defending him may be tired, but so is complaining about him.

:laugh:

I was never expecting you to agree with me, but your argument is so absurd that it's not even worth responding to. Jared Boll has won one fight all year long, and it was against Clayton Stoner - not exactly a league-leading heavyweight. The rest of the time, it's a grappling/hugging match or him getting his lunch fed to him. The era of the enforcer is going by the wayside; the league has gotten too smart for that. To be an NHL player, you have to be able to play in the NHL - which clearly, Boll isn't able to do. Which is why he's sitting. The league is dominated by skill guys and guys that can bring something else. The Jackets are going about it the right way, in bringing in guys that play the game but can stick up for themselves. Guys like Dubinsky, Hartnell, Jenner ... those are the guys that are going to make Jared Boll irrelevant in this league. Even with Zach Rinaldo on the ice today, the Penguins - notably Hornqvist - ran Steve Mason several times, trying to get into his head. With the same result.

Now, if Zach Rinaldo (or yesterday, Jared Boll) takes a run at Hornqvist and takes a major penalty - because you know Hornqvist isn't going to fight anyone - does that make the outcome any different? I'd be willing to bet it's more detrimental. Jack Johnson took care of the situation just fine, I would say. It's obvious that these guys don't act as a deterrent anymore because guys like Hornqvist or James Neal are going to do it no matter what. The only way to exact retribution is by hitting them in the corners and beating them on the scoreboard. Which is what happened to Hornqvist and the Penguins on both days.

Nobody is afraid of Jared Boll. The team can stick up for themselves just fine without him - it's what the team has been built to do. If the injuries hadn't stacked up this year, I'd be willing to bet that Boll would have played in less than 30 games. And rightfully so.

It's clearly a losing battle even continuing to discuss this with you, as you refuse to even take one step back and look at what you're saying. So for that reason, I'll be done trying to make you see the light. Good luck on your future posts, sir.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Perhaps benching Boll and losing his presence on the ice/bench forces other players to step up and take some actions which they normally wouldn't.

Johnson's left jab to the face of Hornqvist would suggest that JJ is willing to go to the mat when need be. Foligno was ready to take some liberties with Hornqvist, but the game situation (tied or 1 up...can't remember) would have made any retribution unwise.

If the gloves need to be dropped, then Foligno, Hartnell, Dubi, and Prout wouldn't be shy about doing so.

If Boll were dropped from the roster, I can't see this team being subject to intimidation; they'd adjust.

That being said, Boll in a 40 games played roll over the course of the season has some benefit. When he's dressed, his role will be completely known by the opponent. The injuries this season changed his usage significantly and I don't think that his consistent presence in the line up really added much value to the team.

I look forward to seeing a properly utilized Boll and Wennberg next season.

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Gone are the days of having a player who is only good at one thing. Defensemen need to be able to skate and shoot as well as defend. Forwards are expected to be able to kill penalties as well as score.

Likewise, there is no room for a player who is only good for a fight. That player needs to have offensive upside and defensive responsibilities as well. If not, he will be replaced by guys who can skate, shoot, defend, and fight if needed.

Boll was promising up until last year because he could still skate the puck and score somewhat. This year, he has completely dropped off the map with regards to everything but fighting and sometimes hitting. We don't need Boll to be an enforcer, we need him to be a power forward. If he can't do that, he should be replaced.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Perhaps benching Boll and losing his presence on the ice/bench forces other players to step up and take some actions which they normally wouldn't.

Johnson's left jab to the face of Hornqvist would suggest that JJ is willing to go to the mat when need be. Foligno was ready to take some liberties with Hornqvist, but the game situation (tied or 1 up...can't remember) would have made any retribution unwise.

If the gloves need to be dropped, then Foligno, Hartnell, Dubi, and Prout wouldn't be shy about doing so.

If Boll were dropped from the roster, I can't see this team being subject to intimidation; they'd adjust.

That being said, Boll in a 40 games played roll over the course of the season has some benefit. When he's dressed, his role will be completely known by the opponent. The injuries this season changed his usage significantly and I don't think that his consistent presence in the line up really added much value to the team.

I look forward to seeing a properly utilized Boll and Wennberg next season.

All of this seems about right to me.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
I was fine with Boll when he came into the league. He was playing recklessly, hitting everything in sight and fighting everyone he could. He just isnt a very effective player anymore. I would say he wins maybe 60% of his fights, but only maybe 1 or 2 a year in decisive fashion. Really there aren't too many pure fear-instilling enforcers left. Boll has never been one of them, but when he came into the league he was at least making loud noises and causing everyone to look over their shoulders. For better or for worse, I think Boll has decided to not treat his body so recklessly, and now no one really takes notice when he is on the ice. He was most likely dressed in the NYI game because Boulton's presence (I believe the NYI announcers said it was just Boulton's 5th game of the year).

Boll is what he is. Only two regulars play less TOI/G than him in the league (Peluso and Scott). He should be our 13th or 14th forward, taking a spot in the press box, so our prospects can play in Springfield, unless other teams have a legitimate scary enforcer that we are worried about doing to us what Boll would do to them.

Otherwise, in the average game, we have kind of out-grown Boll. If he would play like he used to, it wouldnt have come to this... But for the sake of his long-term health, its probably good that he isnt playing like he's invincible anymore.

candyman82

Mar 29, 2012
Fredericksburg, VA
:laugh:

I was never expecting you to agree with me, but your argument is so absurd that it's not even worth responding to. Jared Boll has won one fight all year long, and it was against Clayton Stoner - not exactly a league-leading heavyweight. The rest of the time, it's a grappling/hugging match or him getting his lunch fed to him. The era of the enforcer is going by the wayside; the league has gotten too smart for that. To be an NHL player, you have to be able to play in the NHL - which clearly, Boll isn't able to do. Which is why he's sitting. The league is dominated by skill guys and guys that can bring something else. The Jackets are going about it the right way, in bringing in guys that play the game but can stick up for themselves. Guys like Dubinsky, Hartnell, Jenner ... those are the guys that are going to make Jared Boll irrelevant in this league. Even with Zach Rinaldo on the ice today, the Penguins - notably Hornqvist - ran Steve Mason several times, trying to get into his head. With the same result.

Now, if Zach Rinaldo (or yesterday, Jared Boll) takes a run at Hornqvist and takes a major penalty - because you know Hornqvist isn't going to fight anyone - does that make the outcome any different? I'd be willing to bet it's more detrimental. Jack Johnson took care of the situation just fine, I would say. It's obvious that these guys don't act as a deterrent anymore because guys like Hornqvist or James Neal are going to do it no matter what. The only way to exact retribution is by hitting them in the corners and beating them on the scoreboard. Which is what happened to Hornqvist and the Penguins on both days.

Nobody is afraid of Jared Boll. The team can stick up for themselves just fine without him - it's what the team has been built to do. If the injuries hadn't stacked up this year, I'd be willing to bet that Boll would have played in less than 30 games. And rightfully so.

It's clearly a losing battle even continuing to discuss this with you, as you refuse to even take one step back and look at what you're saying. So for that reason, I'll be done trying to make you see the light. Good luck on your future posts, sir.

Boll has won more than one fight this year. Don't be ridiculous.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Kevin Paul Dupont ‏@GlobeKPD 2m2 minutes ago
CBJ could finish with more wins that DET, BOS and PIT -- yet, already eliminated from playoffs. Ohio, I want you to rise up....!

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I would say he's won more then 1, but its not many, like mentioned theyre mostly hug fests or throwing punches that dont connect. Regardless, he shouldnt be seeing anything more then 25-30 games a year till that contract is done. Then you can sign him to a 2 way contract or something, or let him go.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think Boller outfights the other guy most of the time. He's not feared the way Prout could be though. When a guy fights Prout he hangs on for dear life.

Really though there are only maybe a few truly impactful fighters in the league - and I'm thinking of Lucic and Buff. You have to be a feared fighter and be good enough to earn a lot of ice time. Otherwise you're a drag on your team, and your opponents will want to see more of you. A giant like John Scott could outfight Boll but is just as much a liability out on the ice, neither of them help their team in any way.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Really? Still?

Nobody, except say players like Johnny Gaudreau, Atkinson, and other small young dudes, is afraid of anyone in the NHL. Nobody goes out on warmups, checks over the shoulder and goes "Oh no, Milan Lucic/Jared Boll/Matt Cooke is playing tonight, I better watch myself!" No, they just don't. There's a big painted sign in NWA near the players tunnel that says "fear no opponent." This means teams and individuals. Nobody is afraid of anyone. Can we stop trying to 'scare' the other team with Jared Boll? It won't work. Those days are gone.

Now that said. The Boll hate here is ridiculous and frankly its out of hand. Nobody would say the types of things about Boll that they said here to his face even if you were the Head Coach or the GM or whatever. Can we at least respect the guy? I get it, he's overpaid, I agree, I get it, every advanced stat in the world ever created says he's an AHLer. Fine. But he's here, and he's going to be here. It's a 4th liner. Really? There's bigger fish to fry this summer than worrying about Jared Boll.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
Really? Still?

Nobody, except say players like Johnny Gaudreau, Atkinson, and other small young dudes, is afraid of anyone in the NHL. Nobody goes out on warmups, checks over the shoulder and goes "Oh no, Milan Lucic/Jared Boll/Matt Cooke is playing tonight, I better watch myself!" No, they just don't. There's a big painted sign in NWA near the players tunnel that says "fear no opponent." This means teams and individuals. Nobody is afraid of anyone. Can we stop trying to 'scare' the other team with Jared Boll? It won't work. Those days are gone.

Now that said. The Boll hate here is ridiculous and frankly its out of hand. Nobody would say the types of things about Boll that they said here to his face even if you were the Head Coach or the GM or whatever. Can we at least respect the guy? I get it, he's overpaid, I agree, I get it, every advanced stat in the world ever created says he's an AHLer. Fine. But he's here, and he's going to be here. It's a 4th liner. Really? There's bigger fish to fry this summer than worrying about Jared Boll.

I don't think Cam is afraid of anyone. I'm sure Matty isn't.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

This is what I'm saying. There's precious few players that are actually so terrifying to play against that they can change the course of the game. And if you're not that you better be good at hockey.

Really? Still?

If you're still holding your breath waiting for people to stop complaining about Boller, you are going to be disappointed. I think folks will keep complaining about his awful play until the day he is gone, as they should. And that's not disrespecting the person or hateful, it's just saying he's bad at hockey. Get over it. We have bigger fish to fry and we'll fry them too, and complain about everything else under the sun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad