GDT: Game 77: Capitals @ Coyotes - 7PM - FSAZ

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
The first period was the best period of Coyotes hockey that Ive seen since 2011.
And it was a blast in that arena tonight..
Ok, I'll buy another season ticket.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good win.

Caps did not play well (Holtby was clearly not the usual Holtby), but they still had some dangerous chances. We also got lucky in the sense that the PP did not look good, but we got little quick hit chances there with some puck luck on both goals that kept extending the lead when it was cut.

Defense appeared much more cohesive. We still send too many pucks up ice that wind up finding our own player's skates instead of their sticks.

Anyhow, this is that type of game that we have seen before from Tippett teams. We move our feet and make the right reads and changes defensively - we are capable of some pretty good things. We did punish Washington for the mistakes that they made, but we weren't void of our own. It's getting to that level of consistency in cutting down our negative plays. Hopefully some confidence is gained and we continue that run heading into the offseason.

I believe with the kids gaining confidence and maturity it will all start to fall in place and we will get more consistent. The Capitals are a top team, and Holtby wasn't at his best, but let's give the Coyotes some credit here. When Washington made it a one goal game we could have folded, but we did the exact opposite. Good win.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Give the Yotes some credit for beating the best team in the league. Must be good coaching.

How did the Coyotes do against the best team in the league when the Caps didn't have the night off? 4-1 loss to the Caps.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
How did the Coyotes do against the best team in the league when the Caps didn't have the night off? 4-1 loss to the Caps.

Sounds like you missed the sound bites where every player interviewed talked about how they didn't start that first period well at all, and that if not for that period, they kept the matchup very equal. Getting to a quick start was something that the team had talked about a lot...

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
For me, the story of this game was the Coyotes play away from the puck. They were intent to minimize the break aways and transition game of the Caps, and they marked Ovechkin as well as I have seen. They scored 6 and at least 3 were due to great team play rather than great indiviual effort. Maybe 4.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A Caps night off is still putting up 48 shots :O

They did nothing wrong but get unlucky in the first and then were under the gun for the rest of the game. There were many instances where the Coyotes were bobbling the puck and a second away from the Capitals breaking the other way for a great chance but it never happened.

I picked a good game to go to, besides the Keller scratch.

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
Only criticism that I have of Deangelo is his speed.
Several times, last night, he'd be chasing a puck back and have a length on the Caps player going back with him only to be overtaken.
He needs a speed skating coach or something.
I was a distance coach so I can't help him...
But, maybe hire a track coach, take him to the nearest track with some blocks, and show him how to come out of the blocks with bursts of speed.
Other than that..give him or DVO the "C"

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I don't think Deangelo is captain material. I'm also surprised to hear a criticism of his skating.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Several times, last night, he'd be chasing a puck back and have a length on the Caps player going back with him only to be overtaken.
He needs a speed skating coach or something.
I was a distance coach so I can't help him...
But, maybe hire a track coach, take him to the nearest track with some blocks, and show him how to come out of the blocks with bursts of speed.

I don't think DeAngelo will ever be a Captain. As far as his skating goes, I think it is just fine. If it's a close race, many times a D will let the opposing player touch the puck first, and then take it away or lay a hit on the opposing player. OEL is very good at this. Saves getting hit all the time. I'm sure if it was going to be icing, DeAngelo would be the first back.

I don't think Deangelo is captain material. I'm also surprised to hear a criticism of his skating.

I agree.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Missed the game. Was the chant noticeable?

I was there and listened for it, but didn't hear it.

And see, that's one of his only redeeming qualities in my book - that and his offensive instincts. Other than that, he's eminently expendable and seems to have a 10-cent head when it comes to decision-making.

DeAngelo as Coyotes' captain???? I'll have whatever you're smoking.

I'd rather package him, Strome, and our lottery pick to Winnipeg for Trouba.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
DeAngelo as Coyotes' captain???? I'll have whatever you're smoking.

I'd rather package him, Strome, and our lottery pick to Winnipeg for Trouba.

Wholeheartedly agree about DeAngelo not being captain material.

Disagree about Trouba. He's not worth Strome, lottery pick and DeAngelo. That's way too much to give up for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

For which three of those goals came in the last nine or so minutes including an empty net.

It's no secret that the Yotes haven't put together a full 60 minute game all season and didn't last night either but that doesn't mean you have keep crapping on them at every turn. :shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad