GDT: Game 77 • 4/2/2015 • Wild vs. Rangers • 7:00 PM Central, 2:00 AM Suomi • FSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
Now, all this is my opinion. But in the second period, Nansen waved off an icing with Ryan Suter basically on the puck. The unbelievably late wave-off meant Suter couldn’t even make a play. He was just under pressure immediately and it created a mess.

It was very clear to me that Suter was angry the rest of the game. A couple times, he didn’t help retrieve pucks for the linesmen on actual icings, a common courtesy by players. He barked at them a few times.

I think they had long memories. With Devan Dubnyk pulled with 1:54 left for an extra attacker, the linesmen twice waved off icings on bang-bang plays or near ties … with Suter the one chasing.

A number of players were talking about the feuding with the linesmen after the game. There was also one icing where it looked like the Rangers got away with changing a few players.
I waited for Suter after the game, but I was told finally he was unavailable. But players were very ticked because besides the fact that the non-icings ate up close, it also expended energy as players twice had to skate the length of the ice because of no whistles.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/298560461.html

DeuceMN

Really?
Oct 1, 2011
Chi-Town, Il
I don't normally ever complain about the reffing, but there was some serious ******** going on in that one. I don't even know how some of that crap the refs did was professional at all, especially all those ****ing waived off icing starting about midway through - really not cool on many levels.

That said, Yeo was right to a degree and the break lost us that game. Our first period killed us.

At least we did start to find that urgency again and did play a pretty good third against a very good team.

We still should have won that... I hope the guys are pissed the next few games and take it out on the other teams.

Eye Floater

Feb 3, 2009
USA
Bad first period made us chase the rest of the game, and the players seemed pretty flustered with the officiating. Oh well, it's just one loss and we are still sitting pretty comfortably in the playoffs. Let's move on and get the W tomorrow and help knock the Red Wings out of the playoffs!

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
Dumba always sounds like he's about to cry in interviews.

Thats because of his lazy play in front of the net on the first goal.Bad position , failure to block a realitively slow speed wrist shot and screening your goalie all in one motion. The kid will be a very good second pair defender IMO but I am not sure he is ready for playoff hockey.

Honerable mention goes to other onlucky bounces

Last edited:

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Thats because of his lazy play in front of the net on the first goal.Bad position , failure to block a realitively slow speed wrist shot and screening your goalie all in one motion. The kid will be a very good second pair defender IMO but I am not sure he is ready for playoff hockey.

Not ready for playoff hockey? Did you notice that he assisted on both goals last night?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
the refs didnt do us any favors last night, have we had trouble with that crew before (i dont keep track of which refs hose us). dubnyk wasnt sharp last night i hope hes not cooling off. oh well lets save our best for the playoffs.

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I swear that there isn't a linesman in the entire league who likes Koivu. I haven't watched every single NHL game but I would wager there isn't a center who gets booted more than him.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
I don't normally ever complain about the reffing, but there was some serious ******** going on in that one. I don't even know how some of that crap the refs did was professional at all, especially all those ****ing waived off icing starting about midway through - really not cool on many levels.

That said, Yeo was right to a degree and the break lost us that game. Our first period killed us.

At least we did start to find that urgency again and did play a pretty good third against a very good team.

We still should have won that... I hope the guys are pissed the next few games and take it out on the other teams.

Being there live it was horrible. I honestly have never seen what 6? icings completely blown at any level of hockey. It was absolutely atrocious.

The first period was garbage that's true, but the Wild fought back and really didn't get anything from the officials. I will say, the end of the 2nd period after killing off the 5 on 3 was probably the loudest I've heard the X this year. It was playoff loud.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong

Not ready for playoff hockey? Did you notice that he assisted on both goals last night?

While I'll agree Dumba needs some refining to his game and is in no way a type of defensemen you rely on defensively or even rely on even-strength, I don't think it is because of his lack of effort. IMO the kid plays his heart out, brings offensive spark from the blueline that is extremely lacking, and is improving at a drastic rate.

I will say he probably isn't a defensemen you rely on even-strength playoff time but when we start need some offense, need a point man on the PP, or just need some energy and spark insert into the lineup, Dumba can do that. He is a kid that I would not rely on, but he brings an extra "jump" factor we don't have and could be extremely useful in certain situations during the playoffs.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
While I'll agree Dumba needs some refining to his game and is in no way a type of defensemen you rely on defensively or even rely on even-strength, I don't think it is because of his lack of effort. IMO the kid plays his heart out, brings offensive spark from the blueline that is extremely lacking, and is improving at a drastic rate.

I will say he probably isn't a defensemen you rely on even-strength playoff time but when we start need some offense, need a point man on the PP, or just need some energy and spark insert into the lineup, Dumba can do that. He is a kid that I would not rely on, but he brings an extra "jump" factor we don't have and could be extremely useful in certain situations during the playoffs.

What do you mean rely on? He's our third pairing defenseman and has done a fantastic job with the big club. Much better than most expected.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013

Yes I did actually. BUT....The kid makes kid mistakes and decisions. (multiples in every game) Especially in the defensive zone. That is part of the growing process for a defenseman. He is getting better granted. Lets watch the playoffs together and then have this conversation.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013

I agree 100% . I used a bad adjective . Should have rephrased that. Maybe ,"three bad decisions on one play"not lazy? He goes through spurts of those. maturity! He is a kid and should have a sheltered role.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, I think we all can agree that Dumba's strengths are on offense, not defense, at this point. His offense is outstanding. He should be thrown out there at every opportunity on the PP. Why Yeo can not see that, and insists on playing Pominville/Suter on the point, blows my mind.

Dumba is the Bizarro Brodin.

space321

May 11, 2011
You guys seem to be forgetting the amazing pokechecks he's had in past games, remember the one in calgary that set up Mikko's OT winner? It's not like the dude is COMPLETELY lost in the Dzone. Sure he lost coverage on the 1st goal but he's 20 years old, he's gonna make mistakes. He makes way more good plays than bad.

Stewart also lost his man out front on the 3rd goal, but no one's harping on him.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I agree. Dumba is not a lost cause defensively at all, it's just that his offense looks to be elite level. I'm talking Subban, Karlsson, Doughty( when he isn't tired ).

SMTHook

Mar 23, 2015
Well, I think we all can agree that Dumba's strengths are on offense, not defense, at this point. His offense is outstanding. He should be thrown out there at every opportunity on the PP. Why Yeo can not see that, and insists on playing Pominville/Suter on the point, blows my mind.

Dumba is the Bizarro Brodin.

Suter is very good at keeping the puck in. Maybe the best in hockey. But MD is explosive. Both need to see a lot of PP time. I could care less about JP and thoroughly agree with you on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad