GDT: Game 76 | OTT @ CBJ | 6 PM EST

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
And for what?
Even if CBJ finish last overall, those same fans are going to doubt they get the 1st pick.
Or if they don't finish last, they've ruined their chances of getting 1st overall.

It's truly a no-win situation.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Seeing fans get angry and upset over their teams wins is something else to witness.
It's called watching 20+ years of horrible hockey. The CBJ loses because we don't have enough elite players to compete with the best teams and never have. The only way to get that talent is draft them and once again for the umpteenth season, the Jackets are winning meaningless games at the end of the season and blowing whatever chance we have at a superstar.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Its like people forget other teams are doing the exact same thing and even decimated their team to do so. The fact we are even here is pretty crazy. When people want something they get tunnelvision and completely lose any bit of logic. They iced an AHL roster and won, not much else to do. Chicago just recently beat Boston with a much worse roster, way she goes

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
And for what?
Even if CBJ finish last overall, those same fans are going to doubt they get the 1st pick.
Or if they don't finish last, they've ruined their chances of getting 1st overall.

It's truly a no-win situation.
Even in the scenario they don’t pick 1st, a least by finishing 32nd you are guaranteed a first line center prospect. You are not guaranteed a player that is going to step in this year or a year from now.

Picking 4th or more? You’re not guaranteed a player to play this year. And they probably won’t. You’re also not guaranteed a first line center (or player).

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
If you finish last and lose the lottery twice you still get Fantilli or Carlsson.. finish lower @ well the top 3 centres are gone. So you take the Russian winger and see him in 3 years. Nice

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Even in the scenario they don’t pick 1st, a least by finishing 32nd you are guaranteed a first line center prospect. You are not guaranteed a player that is going to step in this year or a year from now.

Picking 4th or more? You’re not guaranteed a player to play this year. And they probably won’t. You’re also not guaranteed a first line center (or player).

To me it definitely sucks that the Jackets got the two points. But folks here act like that's someone's fault or as if something can be done about it. Way she goes and move on.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
The difference in intensity level between the Ottawa game we just saw and the Calgary-Anaheim game is nuts. One team is playing like a playoff team and the other wasn't. (Calgary has tied it and will easily win.)

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
By thinking that way there is no reason to be emotionally invested in any sports about anything. Even wins. Way she goes
There is emotionally invested and then there is whatever the hell this has been for the last couple months. Can see why a locker room goes south in a bad season, its happening amongst fans on a message board

Reactions: Fred Glover

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Generally I agree .. but who carried the team tonight .. Marchenko and Johnson … you add Texier, Voronkov and Chinakov , and Jiricek next yr , plus a top 6 lhd … and you have just a normal injury year … we get a legit #1 center .. this team is going to be really good, really quick
CBJ fan copium….20+ years and counting

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
There is emotionally invested and then there is whatever the hell this has been for the last couple months. Can see why a locker room goes south in a bad season, its happening amongst fans on a message board
This isn’t fun for anyone.

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
Generally I agree .. but who carried the team tonight .. Marchenko and Johnson … you add Texier, Voronkov and Chinakov , and Jiricek next yr , plus a top 6 lhd … and you have just a normal injury year … we get a legit #1 center .. this team is going to be really good, really quick
And, pray tell, who is going to be that “legit #1 center”? Laine? Will Smith?

That is a nice core, you’re right. It’s a potential Stanley Cup winning core IF you add Bedard or even Fantilli. But it’s very unlikely it’s one without a top center. And those don’t grow on trees.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Replace the names based on the year and we've all said this before. I'll believe it when I see it.

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
And, pray tell, who is going to be that “legit #1 center”? Laine? Will Smith?

That is a nice core, you’re right. It’s a potential Stanley Cup winning core IF you add Bedard or even Fantilli. But it’s very unlikely it’s one without a top center. And those don’t grow on trees.
"Keep my name out of your team's lineup!!"

will-smith-will-smith-slap.gif

Reactions: thebus88

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Why is Texier included in this list? He was a 3rd line winger when here, and has played in a worse slower paced league for the last year.

Voronkov and Chinakhov as of now are wildcards.

Don’t disagree that they could be good quickly 2-3 years from now if things go right though.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
It’s like people forget other teams are doing the exact same thing and even decimated their team to do so. The fact we are even here is pretty crazy. When people want something they get tunnelvision and completely lose any bit of logic. They iced an AHL roster and won, not much else to do. Chicago just recently beat Boston with a much worse roster, way she goes
If you step back a bit, it should give more comfort to (some) people.

How I see it:

Going into the season Jarmo/management were convinced that the CBJ could be a competitive team now, that we were in a re-tool and not too far away from being a playoff team.

I was someone who thought this team was not very close and would be hurt in the long term if they used any assets in an effort to win now. My hope was that they would send Sillinger/Chinakhov/Johnson to the AHL, trade away Nyquist/Gavrikov/Roslovic and “essentially tank.” I thought it would be best for the franchise to have another 1-2 top prospects before ending the rebuild and “trying to win.”

They did not do what I wanted :mad:

However, the Jacket’s unfortunate 3-9 (or fortunate?) start combined with devastating injuries forced Jarmo to wait. The season was over at game 15, and Jarmo knew it.

Instead of finishing 18th-25th in the NHL, this team is guaranteed to finish 29th or worse! I was looking at guys around 10-15OA and hoping we would get another first round pick to try to steal another “gem” late in the first round. With the expectation that both of those picks upside would be a 2nd line caliber player. Well, we are now picking 6OA at worst. That is a HUGE deal for this franchise. We might not get Bedard/Fantilli/Carlsson but the difference in skill/upside for guys like Benson/Michkov/Smith compared to who I thought we would have to choose from such as Ritchie/Danielson/Wood, is large.

Reactions: majormajor

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
I’m gonna piss some people off here, but…

It’s almost like you can’t control the results.

I got no beef with people disappointed the team won. But we really going to blame someone/anyone?
We could have been worse. We needed to make adjustments to put our players in position to lose, and we just did not do that. The coaching staff did not do their jobs in getting these guys to fold

Losing is all about your mentality. It's as simple as that

I hope they get bag skated tomorrow

ThisIsMyAlibi

Fantilli&Werenski&Gaudreau&Laine&Johnson&Jiricek
Mar 16, 2010
Ohio
Werenski getting season ending surgery immediately was signaling the tank from jump street.

Jarmo did some good stuff to get worse. But not enough.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Jarmo did some good stuff to get worse. But not enough.
Sometimes I wonder if Nyquist, Roslovic and Korpisalo could have been moved earlier, but since I don't know whether or not there was any deal to be made (particularly for Korpi, who seemed to be ruining the tank most nights) until last week before TDL, how much blame can we really put on Jarmo?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad