Post-Game Talk: Game 75 - B's lose shootout but bank 6 of 8 points on trip and head home - Winnipeg 5 BRUINS 4 F/SO

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Time for the Bruins to start hitting players from behind now.

This league is a joke. Either make the suspensions consistent or don’t suspend at all and let the players handle it.

Reactions: lopey and Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
At some point, if Jeremy Jacobs made a stink they would have to listen. He couldn't care less unless it affects his bottom line. If this were an owner who actually cared about the players he would make/take a stand at the Board of Governors meetings. They say that he's such a respected prominent member, he got the salary cap that he wanted back in the day and now it's time that he needs to step up and speak up for players who take a beating from the DoPS every time.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I'm pretty sure every person who has the puck along the boards with <3 seconds to go turns against the boards to hold it. I guess players are free to light those guys up now.

As long as these type of hits are on Bruins players, they are given the green light.

...it's in the NHL manual.:sarcasm:

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
GEORGE PARROS SHOULD BE FIRED. Worst I have ever seen. It's either he is in over his head or corrupt.

Idiot.jpg

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I didn’t like the fact that the Jets were taking runs at Pastrnak in the 3rd period after knocking Gryzlek out of the game.

Pastrnak and Marchand are targeted frequently, it’d really suck if we lose on of them to a concussion before the playoffs. I have a bad feeling about it. I just see teams taking hard runs at the two of them every game.

Meanwhile Backes gets 3 games for his hit? Parros is a joke. Had that been Crosby and not Gryzlek Morrisey would be suspended 4+ games. We all know it

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I didn’t like the fact that the Jets were taking runs at Pastrnak in the 3rd period after knocking Gryzlek out of the game.

Pastrnak and Marchand are targeted frequently, it’d really suck if we lose on of them to a concussion before the playoffs. I have a bad feeling about it. I just see teams taking hard runs at the two of them every game.

Meanwhile Backes gets 3 games for his hit? Parros is a joke. Had that been Crosby and not Gryzlek Morrisey would be suspended 4+ games. We all know it

I have no issues with teams hitting Pasta and Marchand hard, but clean. It’s part of the game and those guys should take it as a complement. It’s what you do when a guy is too good/skilled to be dealt with. I think Pasta got hit by Scheifele in the 1st and Lowry in the 3rd? Both were hard, but not dirty in any way.

I want the B’s doing the same thing tonight to Kucherov, TJ, and Point.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
You know they're talking to the league behind closed doors

But you also have to wonder if the league has dirt on Jacobs or something :laugh:

People always say the Bruins get preferential treatment because JJ is on the board but it certainly doesn't look like he's able to protect the players that play for him and his son

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I try to watch a lot of hockey (besides the B’s), but I obviously miss a lot. Still, I have seen tons of bad calls this year in non-Bruins games and a lot of head scratchers from the DOPS for every team.

I don’t think there is a conspiracy against the Bruins, I just think there is a shocking lack of consistency. The people within the DOPS don't seem to know what is or isn’t a suspendable offense from game to game.

We have guys like Backes and Forsberg, who have no history, getting 3 game suspensions, then we have guys with histories getting away with nothing for seemingly dirty hits. The latest trend seems to be this “victim shaming” where the onus has now been shifted to the victim to be more responsible than the offender.

A hit like Morrissey’s is completely confusing. He doesn’t have a “history”, but his check appeared to check off a bunch of boxes. Unnecessary, left his feet, retaliatory, and the victim was injured and left game. The complicated part was that Grizz turned at the last second. Personally, I think Morrissey was going to run him whether he turned or not.

Bottom line is that I no longer have any idea what constitutes a suspendible hit and what doesn’t. I don’t think that’s good for the league.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I try to watch a lot of hockey (besides the B’s), but I obviously miss a lot. Still, I have seen tons of bad calls this year in non-Bruins games and a lot of head scratchers from the DOPS for every team.

I don’t think there is a conspiracy against the Bruins, I just think there is a shocking lack of consistency. The people within the DOPS don't seem to know what is or isn’t a suspendable offense from game to game.

We have guys like Backes and Forsberg, who have no history, getting 3 game suspensions, then we have guys with histories getting away with nothing for seemingly dirty hits. The latest trend seems to be this “victim shaming” where the onus has now been shifted to the victim to be more responsible than the offender.

A hit like Morrissey’s is completely confusing. He doesn’t have a “history”, but his check appeared to check off a bunch of boxes. Unnecessary, left his feet, retaliatory, and the victim was injured and left game. The complicated part was that Grizz turned at the last second. Personally, I think Morrissey was going to run him whether he turned or not.

Bottom line is that I no longer have any idea what constitutes a suspendible hit and what doesn’t. I don’t think that’s good for the league.
sort of what is or what was defined "a catch"

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Winnipeg fan here....

Was hoping to get any news on Gryz. Terrible hit by Morrisey. Before the game I was saying to some buddies that we don;t need anyone on either side going down in a seemingly nothing game for either team. Morrisey made a bad decision and it was not good. Just wanted to come on and see if I could get any news on Gryz.

Just heard Morrisey will get nothing for the hit. I am shocked. I figured because of the way it was handled by the refs and Morrisey's clean history, he might get a couple of games. Not good for the game as we would no doubt be crying for a suspension as well if the shoe was on the other foot.

Know this though Bruins fans....Morrisey is one of the most intelligent young players we have and more importantly a very nice young man. He is not a goon and made a very poor decision. Please try not to paint him with the goon brush. He likely will never ever do this again in his career. He's that kind a guy.

Anyway, hope Gryz is ok and I really am hoping the Bruins make it to the finals. You are my pick in the East. I hope we can win our first playoff game(s) and if luck and the stars line up....maybe we will see you at the final dance.

Good Luck !

Well said. I've seen a lot of Jets games. I like Morrissey and don't think he's dirty. This hit doesn't tarnish that for me. He got caught up in a high tempo hard-hitting statement type game, watched his teammate get crushed and did something stupid. It happens. I know before the game both fanbases universally wanted - No more injuries. And this was the last kinda hit either side wants to see.

The hit itself though, was bad and he should've been suspended for it. That's not even as a Bruin fan, in a way, as it doesn't affect them in the slightest if there's supplementary discipline or not, just that there seems to be a bit more of an open season on head-hunting Bruins lately.

The refs have a tough job and I give them all sorts of leeway. I get pissed as a fan but don't really blame them. But the DoPS... ? It just seems random now and isn't good for the league. This Morrissey hit checks a lot of boxes but they focused on the one that it doesn't.

Pre-meditated and Intent- he comes in from the left point to staple a player. his teammate just got crushed a few seconds earlier.
Dirty - he catches him square in the numbers and leaves his feet.
Dangerous - he puts a players head into the boards.
Injury - Grzlyck left the game and didn't come back.
Hockey play - not whatsoever as there was no time left in the period.

Could the player that got hit done more to protect himself - Yes ... so no suspension.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
Head shot or no head, when you leave your feet to board someone with 1 second left in a period you are asking for it.

Years back I remember an NHL coach saying that he was making a serious effort to cut down on the goon tactics and promote more speed and skill, and was getting frustrated by the results (his players getting ran without having the lineup to keep the other team honest).
He said he would now have to make changes to his lineup to protect his players since the league was not. If the league messes this up I wouldn't be surprised if teams consider adding those players again.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad

I totally agree with most of this . There is simply no conspiracy either favoring or against teams . Living an hour from Toronto I hear Canadians saying the same as some of you only replacing bruins with jays and raptors and hockey with baseball and hoops . They cry they don't get a fair shake because they don't want Canadian teams in the final or to go far. I am not saying some teams don't get the short end of the stick and in a way I believe the bruins do but it isn't something that is done on purpose . In this case here I totally agree with Daze I see so many boxes checked as he said that Grz turning abrupt which is true shouldn't release Morrisey of his many faults.

Lets look at Bruin individuals . On the good end I believe Bergy gets the benefit of some calls , there are players that get far more but just overall I think he gets more good breaks than bad . Chara is treated like a giant , you have to chop him down at the head usually to get a call. Marchy gets the real raw end of the stick when any type of rough or dirty play is in involved with him . In a certain way he has brought that on himself but it is way over the top . You take an instance like Declair , I think that was a total avoid the guy play but lots of public opinion and even players thought he should be suspended . To the leagues credit in this case they wouldn't bend over to that side. If there whole purpose in life was to get the bruins and Marchy they could've went after him . I believe they actually try to rule on things fairly but lots and lots of small and big mistakes are made . Pasta is the one I just don't get , he seems to get screwed quite a bit and I am not sure why. He obviously talks a lot on the ice but usually he is having fun, if I had to guess maybe it is because he does make it really obvious when he feels someone hooks him or takes him down maybe the refs feel he brings to much attention to them . Maybe he whines to them too much I am not sure .

The problem with these boards is a lot of people are completely unreasonable and don't see the breaks we actually get , of course some people do . I will tell you a few here that went our way that were questionable, 50-50 or just bad calls or rulings . I think we can all agree Chara didn't try to hurt Patch but considering it was a 5 minute interference penalty and Patch was very seriously hurt I think that could've went either way and they ruled for us not likely to do if they had an evil plan. Lucic is someone who usually drew the short straw with discipline but his hit on Miller was obviously a collision he could've tried to avoid but he was pissed he lost the puck , how he didn't get suspended there I will never know. Now to the leaf goal with a minute left well I am totally pissed that was allowed because I feel it was pretty obvious that Charlie wasn't flopping and is no weakling and Rask was impeded badly , I have seen twenty worse calls this yr some against the leafs like Larsson sabre goal allowed to stand and for the leafs like the pitt goal called a penalty just lol. The D. Krejci goal against the blues was one of the worst five goal calls of the season in my eyes. You come on here at the time and eighty-five percent of the bruin board are saying the goal should stand . If you never see the breaks we get I guess I can see how you would come to the conspiracy crap. I do believe the game is called differently depending on the player some good some bad and that goes for all sports but I don't think it is a conscious effort , they are trying to be fair they just screw up a lot for a million reasons .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad